Hypothetical ? for credentialed sub teachers

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by John Lee, Nov 11, 2011.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 11, 2011

What would be the minimum that you would take, at this point, if your district offered a teaching opportunity to you? In other words, would you take less than what is current starting salary? If so, how much less? How low would you be willing to go?

Keep in mind, I realize that this would be problematic, if it were really to occur. The union would be upset to see you undercut the earning power of teachers, etc. THAT IS NOT MY INTENT, and not the point of this discussion thread.

But the way I look at it: As someone who already works practically every day as a sub teacher (and yes--I realize regular teaching invovles MUCH MORE work), I wonder what would happen if I walked in and said, "Hey, just pay me sub pay the rest of this year, and I'll take a class. The way I figure--I'm working every day anyway. When I get home, I have time (to prepare for next day, etc.) The thing I'm missing on my resume is experience, which I will probably never see if things keep going as they are.

I'm wondering what everyone else (in similar situation) thinks. If they even consider stuff like that... In my district, it's especially hopeless for someone in my shoes because before I even get a sniff, there are 20-50 tenured/non-tenured teachers who are either called back for a year (happening for a few years now), or who were laid-off and now subbing... but have some years in the district under their belt. So the situation is especially hopeless. And for the record: this is not something thats a consideration in my situation. It's just something that runs through the mind of this long-time sub who sees no entry point into the profession.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

Have you considered moving, John Lee? How wide a net geographically have you cast in your search for a full time position? I know you are very frustrated with your current prospects.:(

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

What you're describing sounds like a long-term sub placement. Our district uses them all the time. I think there are probably 20 long-term subs at my school either because the position can't be filled (because no one wants it or no one is qualified for it) or because of a leave replacement where they aren't sure if or when the contracted teacher will be returning.

In our district it wouldn't work for you to request a lower salary than other contracted teachers if you were offered a position. The negotiated agreement between the union and the district is the final authority and it prevents any sort of undercutting. There's no "opt-out" clause. You either accept the terms of the contract or you look for work elsewhere. The district would be in violation of the contract if they hired you at less than the amount stipulated in the negotiated agreement.

If you're taking the contract/union issue off the table and just asking a "What would you do" sort of question, the answer is that I would most definitely accept a full-time contracted position at less than the going rate if it meant being able to pay my bills.

Sort of related: weren't you considering teaching in Vegas at some point? What ever came of that?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

Under my districts contract, LTS go on contracted salary scale after 20 days.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, lots of others have posted here with similar district policies. In my district, I don't think that's how it works. LTSes earn more per day than regular per diem subs once they've been in the LTS position for a certain number of days, but as far as I know that's the extent of it. No benefits, no other increase in salary, nothing like that. LTS pay is $30-40/day more than regular per diem sub pay, but it's nowhere close to contracted teacher pay. I guess my district is unusual in that respect, at least compared to other districts described here.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

There's no benefits,just pay aligned with first step of salary guide.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 11, 2011

If I was still subbing & offered a permanent teaching position & I had the degrees, credentials, & other college units I currently have (which I did have back when I was subbing), my starting salary will have to be around $47K, which was what my 1st yr starting salary was (well, more like $47,500) when I was hired as a special ed teacher back in 2006.

But, let's say I had the very minimum teacher requirements, then the starting salary would be around $37K or $38K, which is the avg in my area.

9. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 11, 2011

In California, a non credentialed sub can only take a class for a maximum of 30 days. I sincerely doubt a credentialed sub would work for sub pay for an entire year. He/she might as well cut off his nose despite his face.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 12, 2011

Around here, I'd take the the teaching opportunity. You would make more.

Even a LTS gets paid less than a teacher.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 12, 2011

Well, it's moot given what Caesar753 accurately said. (And to answer Caesar753: I did a phone interview w/CCSD. Happens to be the only interview I've had in all these years. And my "net" is as far as I reasonably see a chance... in that regard, I've applied throughout CA.)

The reason this thread came to mind though, is the hopelessness and frustration that comes from underemployment as a sub. I wrote a long post at this point, but I deleted it because I'm not going to waste your time. I'm not looking for sympathy, or advice, or anything like that.

What I wish though, is that school districts were people. People who cared. So that when I find a job (inside teaching or outside), and I excel... I can tell the school "Yes you had your chance. But you didn't think I was worthy. You thought I was a piece of excrement. F-U."

I wish it worked that way.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2011

I'm a member of our school hiring committee...we've passed on really nice people who were potentially good teachers but were not a 'fit' for us. I've often mentioned that I hope those people find their 'right place'. My district cares about finding someone who is a fit for our workshop philosophy, multiple certifications help, passion, good communication and experience are also considered. Passing on candidates doesn't mean that we think someone is a piece of....:eek:, but that we are just looking for something else...and sometimes that something is 'unquantifiable'.
    Do know, that the education world is a small place...principals will often pass the name of a good, but passed on, candidate to another district. While it's very clear that you are more than frustrated, don't burn your bridges with districts.:2cents:

13. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Nov 15, 2011

Hi John,

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting nowhere. The district is getting a credentialed teacher (me!) as a sub for WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less money then a regular, hired teacher makes. It gets so frustrating. I also hate the way some teachers re-arrange their normal schedules so there is a ton of grunt work for the sub to do, and the regular teacher doesn't have to do it. Most teachers don't do this, but the few who do, it really bothers me. Good luck, John...