hyperactive boy and girl with suspicious behavior

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Guest, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 16, 2002

I just started teaching pre-K at a school, where they were not really doing any academic work or learning any skills before I came. In the past 6 weeks, I can see improvement in all the kids, however there is one child, who is hyperactive and goes to a special ed program most of the day. He's got endless energy and can't seem to talk, only scream and can't sit still at all. What is the best way to deal with him?

Also, I have a girl who seems to be learning, however has poor speech, poor coordination, is easily distracted, has improper responses to situations (for example, if I discipline her, she laughs and giggles, but it doesn't seem like she's just trying to be a smart a**, and I don't think she's doing it out of nervousness either). I am also starting to question a possibility of her being molested because she rubs her body against her mat for the duration of naptime and always has her hands all over her friends (she is only firends with the younger kids- 1 to 2 years younger than her) and I've seen her at least one time when her 2 year old friend was laying down, this girl went and layed right on top of her.

Do you have any ideas for either of these situations?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 18, 2002

Well I'm not an expert or anything, but I do have a little experience in both areas. The boy sounds exactly like a boy I had that displayed sypmtoms of autisim. He wasn't completely autisitc, but just showed some symptoms. The only one who can make a diagnosis is a doctor. What about his parents? Are they concerned? If you teach in a public school, then the parents can insist that he gets evaluated. Since he is already in spec ed he probably has been already but may not be diagnosed correctly or recieving the right treatment. If the latter is the case, then they can get him evaluated by their own doctor or they may have to push the system into action. I've always believed that if the parents really feel there is something else going on and his teacher does too, then there probably is.

The little girl sounds like she needs to be evaluated as well. Again are the parents concerned? Unfortunately the molestation of the mentally challenged is quite common. Have you mentioned her "touchy feely" behavior to her parents? If you say anything about it to her parents document everything. Watch for other signs like bruising around her genitals, uti's, etc. Remember that if you report it, you cannot say talk to her parents about the report or even mention it. Tell your director also. I got fired for repeorting sexual abuse. My director wanted to wait and have a meeting with her parents and look into it. But is NOT our job to investigate. Let the CFC do that. I wish you luck. Keep us posted.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 19, 2002

molestation

NOW WAIT ONE MINUTE.... She sounds ASPERGERS. but not MOLESTATION!
    Pre k children have just left diapers and genitalia rubbing is a sign of stimulation and very normal at their age. PLEASE be really careful on that one child to make accuasations of such. Molestation. hurumph!
    She is trying to self stimulate. My son will play with an ear when resting, myself- i twirl my hair, children who suck their middle fingers will rub the others on their nose, Children with blankie or rag attachments will rub the rag somewhere. Just think of when it occurs. AUTISM children will indeed do that task as they also will rub their thighs when sitting in a chair, mold invisible clay in their hands, AND when standing, will do the leg spasing thing that will make your own heart rate rise. When I work with my Asperger/Autism student who is medicated, I am always telling him'let go of that thing'. If there isnt enough structure for them or toooo many choices, they will revert to panic mode.
    I AM NO EXPERT either but- you were advised from the board the procedure of reporting molestation but what if ALL her behaviors are together indicators of Aspergers. That no one has told the parents about your observations. PLEASE document every day what you see, hand write or even go the extra step to type them up. These parents who may have no idea since at school is a totally different environment then home! If the child is in pre-k they will need your documentation for all dr. visits in identifying her 'labeling' her correctly. You could be the one to identify that something may be 'different' about her and she would be entitled to services. Asperger children are usually bright and learning isnt their problem. It is a social issue.

Be careful on your approach to these parents. Try and word things carefully as this girl is their baby, their jewel, their gift from god, no matter what 'ails' her. I would say- whew, your daughter is full of energy every day, did she eat something sugary for breakfast? or- ' name' is such a special girl, I have been working with her to help her__behavior_____. Have you ever had her seen by a doctor for_______such behavior________. When she is resting at home does she rub her privates to help relax?

Final note: DOCUMENT all day long. Have a clip board and LIST everything you see. This paperwork is what is required to help identify and label a child correctly. Its going to have to be done anyhow by a teacher. I am very interested in hearing how you are handling this and what progress you have made. Please let me know! RUTH

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 19, 2002

I'm sorry Ruth I should have clarified before making a statement like that. My child in question had no other real odd behaviors other than playing by herself all day long, barely speaking, to anyone and full ************ at naptime. We asked her where she learned to do that she said her daddy showed her how. I've had other children to do this as well, but usually it is because they are new to daycare, an extremely stressful event has happened, like a death etc. That sort of behavior is not neccesarily abuse. However it needs to be dealt with because I've heard of this erupting like firecrackers and pretty soon a few more do it and then parents are upset.

My main point was to politely suggest she be evaluated, and always always document such conversations with parents. Not just to provide evidence for the evaluator, but also to cover her own butt in case someone else came along and said why was this ignored.

The sad truth is many mentally challenged adults and children are abused because it is rarely reported. Unfortunately because of their conditions they often may not understand what is happening or they can't describe it in some cases. Let's just pray that is not the case here.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 19, 2002

Sorry it took out the m-word. Anyway it was full self-gratification.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 25, 2002

any news?

My house is quiet except for the thunderous down pour outside. I have time to read posts and noticed you didnt get back and tell us if you spoke to the parents.. I am curious if you went that route? ruth

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 25, 2002

censoring

Unfortunately, the m-word was used once before in a not-so appropriate manner, so I censored it. People get really creative when they are trying to vandalize a message board. :rolleyes: