Husband has Cancer

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by teacherintexas, Oct 20, 2007.

1. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

Teacherintexas, I'm just so sorry. We are still remembering you in our prayers.

2. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2008

Teacherintexas- I'm hoping that you continue to find the strength to make it through each day. You seem like a strong woman, and I know I couldn't be as strong under the same cirumstances.

God Bless you both:hugs:

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2008

I used to hide my daughter's medicine in food. It was tricky trying to make sure she would eat it all. Anything he will eat will be good.

as far as bed sores, make sure he moves around a bit each day, and when you give him sponge baths, use Keri or Eucerin lotion/cream. Both are excellent for dry skin, and will prevent itchyness that can cause infections from scratching.

are you near any major universities? usually they have a teaching hospital or clinic. definitely a specialty program for major illlnesses. I would call around, and if your city doesn't have one, try the next town or state over. Get a social worker, public relations staff person, and explain your situation.

university hospitals are more understanding, reasonable with fees, and have the latest, innovating treatment options..IMO. It will be worth the pursuit, I am sure. Even if you just made one trip, they may be willing to send doctors, and/or meds out to him once a month for follow up, if trip is too hard or financially draining for you.

Are you near Dallas, Houston, Austin or San Antonio? Let me know, and perhaps I can do some web searching for you.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 11, 2008

I have been praying for your husband and you, and will continue. Take care of yourself through all of this, too.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 11, 2008

It is the hardest thing in the world to watch your husband suffer. I've been there. You are doing all you can. It is so hard to believe that life can change so much in just a short time, but it does.

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 11, 2008

teacherintexas, I feel awful for you and your husband. :( I just wish there was something I could do or say-- it seems like offering my prayers (and spreading the prayer request to others) just isn't enough.

You are such a strong woman.

:hugs:

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2008

btw...make sure you eat...you can get awfully depressed, become so wrapped up into caring for him, you let yourself go...don't even notice or feel it...try to step away, and have a good meal, even it it means eating out once a month, so remember how precious life is, and have somebody wait on you!

8. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Feb 11, 2008

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care and god bless.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2008

How are you and your hubby doing? I hope that everything is okay. I think and pray about yall almost every night.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 29, 2008

We just got back from a 16 day hospital stay and hospice is here with us for 72 hours continously and then will be checking in as needed. It's been very trying. I am running on fumes but if it weren't for my faith, I would have not made it through these past days and would definitely not make it through the days ahead. My husband is having trouble with shortness of breath, so any prayers to relieve that symptom would be appreciated.

I still pray that he will be healed but have added that if he is not, to please let him go peacefully.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2008

Blessings and strength to you and your family.

12. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Feb 29, 2008

I'm sending prayers to you for whatever happens...either a cure or a peacful passing for your husband. Of course, I'm hoping for the first option, but I understand your feelings about the second.
    Anyway, take care of yourself and I'm sure things will start looking up soon!

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 1, 2008

My heart broke when I read the news. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2008

I never seem to find the right words....my thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband. I hope that you may continue to find the strength to face each day and whatever it has to bring.

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Mar 1, 2008

I pray that God will grant you his peace which surpasses all human understanding.

16. smalltowngal

Mar 1, 2008

Yall have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be.

How old is your husband?

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2008

Smalltown... I looked at the prayer request forum when she first posted....he's 42 unless he's had a bday.

18. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

:(

I am so sorry. Prayers will continue to go up.

Sending lots of virtual :hugs: your way!!

19. smalltowngal

Mar 1, 2008

Thanks Diznee. I didn't even think to look back at the OP.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 1, 2008

What's amazing is one of the best medicines is the power of peace and a good attitude but that's so hard to do when balanced with the power of grief and the very real practical need to think about what's ahead. In the end it is all out of our ultimate control but that doesn't mean we shouldn't help the process along. You have a long road to hoe becuase not only do you have your grief to deal with but you have his as well. You have to help keep his morale up and his fighting spirit up. That's enough to wear anyone down. Please take the time to deal with your needs whether they be allowing yourself to grieve, allowing yourself not to have to be the strong one every single moment or looking for time to find some peace. There are TWO people who are having to go through this. Let yourself pause when you need it. I hope you also have all the support you need around you. Let them help. Even if you think it is silly and you don't need the help, every second helps and they will feel like they helped too. I also urge you to go to a support group if you aren't already doing so.

21. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Mar 1, 2008

I will be praying along with you!

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2008

Dear teacher in texas...

You need more than fumes!!

Please take the time to make a good meal, and get some rest. He needs you, and you can't take care of him if you don't care for yourself...

Isaiah 40:31 But they that wait upon the Lord, shall renew their strength: they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 2, 2008

All of you seem to always find the right words. I only have about ten minutes a day to check emails and this site, so I read through the posts very quickly but even read quickly, they are all so comforting to know my husband has so many people praying for him. I couldn't face this without my faith, so I am very grateful that God is there for me and my husband and I am very appreciative of all of the prayers. I've said it before on this thread, but I believe the prayers are helping.

I have a new prayer request. My husband's breathing is much better so far so I know how well prayers work. He is becoming very anxious. They changed his anxiety medicine for four hours and quickly changed it back because he became very disoriented and anxious. He is back to his original medicine so I am hoping it will get the anxiety under control, but as an added measure, I would appreciate some prayers for his anxiety. Other than being in pain, other one of my fears about his death has been that he would be scared or anxious.

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2008

Keep reassuring him that you are there...and respond to his questions and concerns calmly. Even if he asks the same question 50 times. My Dad has alzheimers, and I just change the answer sometimes, or he will keep asking me the same thing over and over. But for your husband, he just needs reassurance...sameness, keep same things in the room, maybe don't do too much straightening up...you know like tossing old newspapers, etc. Too much movement may worry him, and you really don't have to think about that much cleaning right now..

While he's resting, you can clean. When he asks about something, just tell him you moved it, or go get it so he will feel at ease. A little clutter may keep him comfortable right now. Keep his favorite robe, pajamas, photos, get well cards, all these things in view. Try to keep his room clean, but don't clean around him. It may appear like you are nervous, and want to keep busy. I wait until my parents are eating in the cafeteria and then I clean out their room. But I keep a little clutter around, so it doesn't appear too different to them.

Just a thought.

And perhaps try some scented candles, or air freshners that are relaxing...like lavender. Keeping the room fresh will be good for everyone, but he needs to feel secure...and sameness builds security.

Keep reading scriptures to build your strength and confirm your faith...

Psalms 23

25. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

Prayers for no anxiousness being sent....

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2008

I pray that your husband's anxiety will be eased, and that he will find some peace.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2008

Prayers to you; may you find strength in the days to come.

28. smalltowngal

Mar 4, 2008

teacherintexas, I'll be praying for his anxiety.

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2008

I'm sorry about your hubby's anxiety prayers for him to calm.

I have heard some people are anxious before the pass because they have left stuff "undone." I know your hubby is still "young" maybe his feeling something is "not done" (besides the obvious). I know before my grandpa passed my hubby talked to him & told him not to worry about our grandma & some of the things my grandpa was planning with our family. Hubby told him we would all take care of it. Maybe he needs some reassurance from somebody. I don't know just trying to help you!!!

Prayers & hugs for you all!!!

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 4, 2008

My husband passed away peacefully yesterday afternoon.

He did not suffer and was not anxious or in pain. I will always be grateful for that.

Thank you so much for your prayers. They certainly helped.

31. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 4, 2008

Teacherintexas, you are in my heart.

32. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 5, 2008

Sympathy

I'm sending our sympathy and more e mail hugs and love. I can't imagine having to let go of the person you love so much. I gave my husband an extra hug.

Cancer is ugly.

You are one amazing person.

33. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2008

Glad to hear that his anxiety was calmed and that everything was "peaceful."

I like hescollin will give the hubby an extra hug when he gets home!!!

34. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Mar 5, 2008

Sending prayers and hugs to you and your family. I wish I was close enough to be sending meals. :(

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2008

So sorry to hear this news. You have strength that knows no boundaries. How touching for you to share this traumatic time in your life with us.

Know that the stages of a loss include shock, denial, disbelief (I may be wrong here) and acceptance. It may not come at once, or you may have gone thru some of these steps already. Just keep offers of friends and family to keep coming by when you need them the most.

I had a good friend who lost her husband. To help me and help my friend, I bought the book, "How To Survive The Loss of a Love." It made a big difference for me. I had many losses in my life, but none such as yours. I hope this helps.

How to Survive the Loss of a Love (Mass Market Paperback)
    by Peter McWilliams (Author), Harold H. Bloomfield (Author), Melba Colgrove (Author)

My deepest sympathy for you and your family.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2008

When I lost my aunt last summer, a fellow poster gave me the names of some stores in St. Louis area. I contacted them and was able to order a deli tray for my family, and send flowers for the funeral.

37. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Mar 5, 2008

Great idea MasterPK. Unfortunately, when I looked for the site that provided the information for the name or city, I found the site is no longer available. :( Any suggestions?

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2008

ok...hold on a second, I'll be back..

39. smalltowngal

Mar 5, 2008

teacherintexas, again, my thoughts and prayers continue to be with you following your husband's passing.

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2008

let's just pray with her..and follow her lead...

think that is my best answer for now...