Husband has Cancer

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by teacherintexas, Oct 20, 2007.

1. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Dec 30, 2007

I just saw this thread, and I am praying for your husband, you, and your family.

2. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2007

Honey didn't get chemo this past Thursday. His kidney function was not good, had high levels of potassium, and low levels of hemoglobin. He was admitted into the hospital for a few days to get iv fluids and blood transfusions. We will go back to the doctor this coming Thursday to see where we go from here. On the appointment list, he doesn't have chemo scheduled, but the doctor said we may try to wait a few days so he can do the clinical trial. Whatever the doctor leads us to, I hope it will work wonders.

He's feeling much better today. He's been eating and drinking lots of fluids and even went riding on his four wheeler a bit this afternoon.

Thank you for your prayers.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2007

Upsadaisy, we did have a very nice Christmas. Thank you for the sentiment. I wish you didn't understand so well.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2007

I feel so bad for you I don't even know what to say. What a difficult time. I hope things get better soon. I think of you often.

5. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2007

We're still praying over here.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 31, 2007

My husband took the delay in chemo really well. We both think the delays may be part of God's plan and that the clinical trial is what he needs to do to get cured.

7. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2007

It is good that the two of you have such strong faith. I think that when you pray about something you put it into God's hands and so I would think the same way you do, that the delay is somehow for a good reason. And you have so many others praying for you as well, it is for certain that things are going according to God's will.

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jan 2, 2008

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your hubbie!!

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 3, 2008

Almost all the levels were good today. We didn't have to be admitted into the hospital so I was very relieved.

Honey is having lots of pain so any prayers for pain relief would be appreciated. He just can't get comfortable in any position or on anything. Anything that will work, we will try! I may be asking for hints about how to hang a hammock in the living room before long! :p

He is also having trouble with his appettite. Today he got 1130 calories which is the highest in the past few weeks. He's had thrush and we think it might be coming back.

Honey will start the clinical trial next Thursday.

We've felt for a while that perhaps the clinical trial would be God's plan for him.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 3, 2008

Sending prayers your way!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2008

I continue to remember your hubby (and your family battle) in my prayers.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 12, 2008

Update for 1/12/08

The insurance company will not pay for anything if clinical trial is used for treatment, not even tests or treatments for previous problems. We can't afford to pay for ct scans, blood work, and hospital stays for the remainder of his illness, so the clinical trial is out. The doctor said the second choice would have comparable results, but was just going to be easier on his liver and kidneys.

The second chemo protocol that the doctor wanted to start was changed due to my husband's potassium level. Last time it was too high and this time it was too low. We might start the second choice at some time later if the levels stabilize.

The third chemo choice is supposed to be easier on his kidneys and should not hurt potassium levels, etc, but the insurance would not pre-approve the second required chemo drug that is needed because it is traditionally used only for colon and breast cancer. The doctor is going to have to appeal that decision. There are clinical trials that prove this drug works on my husband's type of cancer, so hopefully, the insurance company will show some common sense and compassion and will overturn their decision.

My husband got one chemo drug yesterday, so he has at least something in his system fighting those nasty cells, but he will need the second drug since the one drug isn't effective enough on its own.

I am very tired of yelling at insurance people. I started out very nice and polite, but I did accuse them of not really caring whether my husband lived or died. I did yell at the drug people.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

Sometimes a little (or a lot) of yelling is needed! I can't offer any advice about medical insurance, but will continue to pray that your husband will soon be able to receive the treatment he needs.

14. bw1

bw1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

I'm so sorry to hear. I wish the best for you and your family. I know times like these are the hardest, you and your family, as well as your husband will be in our prayers. God Bless.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

teacherintexas, I continue to think and pray about you and your husband. I'm sorry the insurance people are being inconsiderant. But I agree with MrsC, that sometimes it takes yelling and causing trouble for them to get into action.

16. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Jan 12, 2008

I am keeping your husband in my prayers.

I do not understand the healthcare system in this country.:( The last thing you need is stress from your insurance company. I would be yelling, too and it takes a lot for me to get that way.

:hugs:

17. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2008

Good for you!!! Put it in writing and email them, too. Let them know you are documenting all of this. That will get you results, probably very quickly. Who cares if they don't *like* you, that's their problem. They need to take care of your husband.

Still praying here. :love:

18. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2008

Still praying, teacherintexas :love: & :hugs:

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2008

prayers going out your way

Dear Teacherintexas,

I am sorry that I did not post sooner. Please do you best to round all the help you can get, so that you can be strong and have needed rest. Caregivers are so overlooked, and sometimes heros need a break too.

Look into special discounts and promotions for medications and durable medical equipment for home care online. Contact each drug company for meds he is using. See if you qualify for any reduced rates based on his illness. Put in for your family leave of absence now, so you can get the time that you need to care him. Running back and forth to work will drain you. Look into respite care workers, and interview several. These helpers can give you the time and energy to spend with him, while they do everyday tasks. check with your state/county/city department of health, disability etc. they may be offered to you free or reduced charge.

Find a support group and classes for cancer patients and families at the hospital. it helps to talk to someone who knows what you are going thru. sometimes family and friends want to help, but are overwhelemed, scared and shocked. they may listen to you on the phone for awhile, but you may be afraid that you could burn them out and scare them off. listen when good friends say they want to help, and let them. if others say they are busy or will come by later, don't worry about them.

try alternate foods such as Ensure liquid when he loses his appetite. the powder can be mixed into almost anything. eat small meals along with him, and talk when he feels like it. that way, eating won't be such a chore.

find out what stores offer the cheapest price for incontinence supplies, before you need them. Look into home health care in general, so you can equip your home with things to make you all feel at ease. Walgreens offers a home health store and online services. another company called HDIS has an excellent mail order service.

http://www.hdis.com/

please forgive me for such a long post, but...I want to make sure I am offering you all that I can...

take care..

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 25, 2008

We are back from the third chemo treatment. The chemo, even if it isn't the full dosage the doctor wants, has been working. My husband has an acid in his blood that proves cancer cells are DYING! YEAH!!! I feel rather blood thirsty and I want all those nasty cells to die, die, die! When my husband is getting chemo, we "talk" to the drug dripping in his iv, telling it to go get the bad guys. The medicine starts with the letter g so we call the meds "g-men."

The fluid around his heart and lungs has diminished somewhat, but is still not gone completely. His feet are still swollen and walking has become difficult, but has a new water pill that should help some. The shortness of breath is better and my hubby has been able to eat a bit more for which I am very thankful.

Master Pre-K, thanks for all of your advice. He has a social worker at his hospital that is taking care of many of those things for me. Thank goodness! There is no way one mere human can take care of everything that is needed and I am so grateful for what help I can get.

Thanks for all of your prayers. As evidenced by acid, he is progressing in the right direction as of right now. Get some more bad guys G-men!!!!!!

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2008

Continued prayers for those G-men to do their job and kill those nasty cancer cells!

God bless.

22. smalltowngal

Jan 25, 2008

teacherintexas, I'm so glad to hear this news! I will pray that those g-men continue to do their work in your hubby. Continued prayers for more positive results.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2008

Every day is a day of Thanksgiving!

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 3, 2008

New prayer request for my husband:

Much less anxiety, and an appetite with the willingness to eat!

We go to the doctor again on Wednesday and I will be asking about a feeding tube, but until then, I have to just hope and pray that he will eat more. He has an appetite stimulant, but has not wanted to take it. His anxiety has kept him from wanting to eat. I've wanted to take him to the emergency room to get a feeding tube since he didn't eat anything at all yesterday and very little today, but he won't let me take him in.

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 3, 2008

I'm so sorry. Is he on an antidepressant?

26. smalltowngal

Feb 3, 2008

teacherintexas, continued prayers for your hubby!

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 5, 2008

Not yet. We asked about one last week at his doctor appointment and the doctor gave him the appetite stimulant instead. I'll be asking again this week. If the cancer doctor doesn't want to give him one, I'll take him to his local doctor. He already has a prescription for Xanax but it's not working well enough, evidently.

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2008

teacherintexas... sorry your hubby hasn't had an appetite. Prayers for you. I know my grampa (recently diagnosed with the "c") has a food tube. He gets some from there & the docs told him to eat what he could. After one week of chemo he actually gained weight.

Continued prayers!!!!

29. smalltowngal

Feb 5, 2008

teacherintexas, I remember when my mom had cancer, the last treatments which were the stronger ones that she had, would cause her to get mouth sores so that she couldn't eat any solid foods. She started drinking Ensure. Sometimes that even hurt, but at least she was getting some nutrition.

30. sadundercover

sadundercover Companion

Feb 5, 2008

Ensure worked well for my aunt, Smalltown. That is all she ate. She had Alzheimers and was in the last stages. That Ensure was a blessing for her.

TeacherinTexas, I am sending you more prayers.

31. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 5, 2008

TeacherinTexas- You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers often.

32. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 7, 2008

I haven't posted here in a while, but I am still keeping you and your husband in my thoughts!

:hugs:

33. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 7, 2008

You get vanilla, chocolate,and strawberry Ensure about any place. But you can also buy Butter Pecan which is good for a change

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2008

it used to come in powder form. if it still does, that is a good way to get in extra calories. mix it almost anything. they also sell snack bars too.

35. TwinkLStar

TwinkLStar Rookie

Feb 7, 2008

I don't post often, but have been keeping you and your family in my prayers. Praying specifically that your husband will have peace and an appetite. Also praying for your own strength and peace.

36. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2008

any time you eat together, it makes eating worthwhile. get some snacks and sit and chat. just sitting with him and nibbling while you talk will encourage him to eat with you. even if its just a few grapes or crackers. don't make it look like you are forcing him to eat. Just say you brought up some snacks, and we can eat, if you want, or we can just watch tv. Hopefully, he will be tempted to try something, just because you are there. try all kinds of things, applesauce, cookies, etc. this is when you can get creative. add cheese to sauces, add shredded carrots to soup. bring him his favorite desserts too.

take care..

37. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 9, 2008

Thank you for all the prayers. Sometimes I think the prayers for my husband are all that is keeping me going. We need those prayers now more than ever.

Y'all make it sound so easy to get him to eat. I wish it were.

I've tried the Ensure line...especially the Ensure Plus since it has 350 calories instead of just 250- in every flavor and they even make pudding and I have cases of that too. Everything he has ever liked is either in my pantry or refrigerator or freezer. I've tried sitting next to him with one of his favorites. I've tried offering to get him this and that during the day. He physically cannot handle anything textured like bread, cookies, crackers, etc. Pretty much all solid food is out of the question. I have plenty of liquid meals for him as suggested by his nutritionist, but I can't force the food down his throat. He won't try anything unless he has asked for it, and those times are very few and far between.

At the last doctor appointment, I begged the doctor to consider a feeding tube. His nutritionist agreed that would be the best option, but his appointment for a consultation is not until the 18th. His oncologist doesn't think they will be able to put in a tube due to abdominal fluid so he may have to be admitted to get food through an iv. He has an appointment with the doctor on Wednesday so maybe we can get an emergency appointment then. There isn't a good local hospital here or else I would take him to the emergency room and demand a feeding tube.

He drinks hot and cold tea so I've been putting fiber and unflavored protein powder in his tea so he gets at least a little nutrition on days he refuses to eat. I think he suspects I've been doing that, but he is still drinking it. Before when I added cream and the fiber and protein powder to his cereal, he refused to eat it again once he knew I had added more to it.

He has blood clots in both legs and I'm having to give him blood thinner shots at home.

The fluid around his heart and lungs haven't changed...which is a blessing I suppose. It could have gotten worse.

He has some infectious spots on his chest and back from scratching. The chemo makes him itch. We have meds for that, but they haven't done much yet.

I'm still praying for a cure, but I've also started praying that God would ease his suffering however He can. It is so hard to watch the man you married suffer so.

38. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 9, 2008

TeacherinTexas- I hear you! About 4 years ago, my brother was in the hosptial with several infections and would not eat. He couldn't keep anything down or in. He especially hated the Ensure. The doctors even tried an experimental drug that was succesful on children.... nothing. I have always feared the death of my only sibling, but I came to a point when I was okay with it watching him suffer and wither away. He looked skeletal. His eyes were sunken in. I could barely look at him.

He had a Pic line and was fed through the IV for a while. He even took it home with him for a month. It took a while, but he recovered and is doing great! He's run a Marathon since.

Continued prayers and good thoughts coming your way....

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2008

teacherintexas--I can't even begin to imagine all that you and your family are going through right now. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

40. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2008

I continue to pray for your hubby and for you. I know this is a rough stage.