Hurt while on the job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mozzer, Apr 20, 2022.

1. mozzer

mozzer New Member

Apr 20, 2022

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

While trying to settle students who were arguing, a fight broke out. I was stuck in the middle. In the mayhem I was hurt.

At this time, should I file a police report? The school did not file one and my union said it was up to me to file one. A student was hurt as well, not sure if they filed a report.

Mozzer

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 20, 2022

Were you accidentally hurt or did a student intentionally hurt you in the middle of the fight? How about workers comp? I'm assuming you were hurt enough to go to the doctor so with workers comp you would be covered for any treatment related to these injuries.

4. mozzer

mozzer New Member

Apr 20, 2022

I was struck by an object, and I was seen by doctors. Workers comp does not apply in this case, according to the union.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 20, 2022

Really? I thought any injury sustained while at work would be workers comp. That's really odd.

readingrules12 likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 20, 2022

I guess the question is what will the police report accomplish? Are you seeking compensation? If you got injured accidentally because you were intervening then I don't know if making a report will be useful in. If you think you were physically injured on purpose then maybe the report is the way to go. Ive never seen a teacher file a police report about something that happened in school.

7. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Apr 20, 2022

What's the school policy on fights? If the policy is to physically intervene, then that should fall under worker's comp. Worker's comp. covers any injury resulting from the duties of your job. If a physical intervention policy is in print anywhere, I'd be showing that to the union. If that's not the prescribed action during a fight, then it's a lot more iffy.

It's not worth filing a police report unless there was clear malice towards you/intent to harm (think throwing a desk or something sharp vs. throwing a water bottle) or the student in question has a dangerous pattern of behavior that should be on police radar. Pressing charges tends not to end well and may not result in your bills being covered anyway. I'm surprised the school won't cover it since it'd be greater liability if you hadn't been treated and something really was wrong. They usually have insurance for that kind of thing.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 21, 2022

That's what I thought. Also the poster didn't say if someone threw something at her/him intentionally or there were just things being thrown around and others got hit because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.