hurricane season

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by mommaruthie, Jul 28, 2003.

1. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 28, 2003

I know this doesnt have an impact on all of us- BUT, hurricane season has begun AND we typically have a named storm TWO weeks before school starts.

Guess what, school is starting in FOUR weeks! getting nervous about returning and running out of 'vacation' time to make dr. appointments and finish setting up the new house. I feel more anxious now then i have all summer.

Stay dry,Ruth

3. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Aug 4, 2003

Not sure where I originally got this, it sounds like Dave Barry but I can't be sure...

Florida Hurricane Season Notes

We're about to enter the peak of the hurricane season. Any day now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weather person pointing to some radar blob out in the Atlantic and making two basic meteorological points:

(1) There is no need to panic.
    (2) We could all be killed.

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Florida. If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one.'' The best way to get information on this topic is to ask people who were here during Hurricane Andrew (we're easy to recognize, because we still smell faintly of b.o. mixed with gasoline). Based on our experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1. Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.
    STEP 2. Put these supplies into your car.
    STEP 3. Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Florida. If you're one of those people, you'll want to clip out the following useful hurricane information and tuck it away in a safe place so that later on, when a storm is brewing, you will not be able to locate it. We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE: If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and
    (2) It is located in Nebraska.

Unfortunately, if your home is located in South Florida, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place. So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss. Since Hurricane Andrew, I have had an estimated 27 different home-insurance companies. This week, I'm covered by the Bob and Big Stan Insurance Company, under a policy which states that, in addition to my premium, Bob and Big Stan are entitled, on demand, to my kidneys.

SHUTTERS: Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors, and -- if it's a major hurricane -- all the toilets. There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:

Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that, because you make them yourself, they will fall off.

Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.

Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

"Hurricane-proof'' windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

Hurricane Proofing Your Property: As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio furniture, visiting relatives, etc.; you should, as a precaution, throw these items into your swimming pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately). Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles. (If you happen to have deadly missiles in your yard, don't worry, because the hurricane winds will turn THEM into harmless objects).

EVACUATION ROUTE: If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license; if it says "Florida,'" you live in a low-lying area.) The purpose of having an evacuation route
    is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two million other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES: If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Do not buy them now! Florida tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers over who gets the last can of SPAM. In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies: 23 flashlights. At least $167 worth of batteries that turn out, when the power goes out, to be the wrong size for the flashlights. Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for. But it's traditional, so GET some!) A 55-gallon drum of underarm deodorant. A big knife that you can strap to your leg. (This will be useless in a hurricane, but it looks cool.) A large quantity of bananas, to placate the monkeys. (Ask anybody who went through Andrew; after the hurricane, there WILL be irate monkeys.) $35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes, you can buy a generator from a man with no discernible teeth. Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean. At that point, if you've prepared all you can, there's frankly nothing left for you to do but pray.

Good luck and remember: it's great living in a tropical paradise .

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2003

Priceless!! Sounds just like Dave Barry. I'm in South Florida too.

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 6, 2003

weather watching weeks before school

i am totally at the point now where we are expecting a storm within the next two weeks since that is all we have remaining before school starts.

The worst part of hurricane season is POST season when you are forced to eat the cans of ravioli because its the only well stocked item in the house!

6. AJK

Aug 7, 2003

We had these cans of white potatoes for months post hurricane season a couple years ago! It was after one of those storms that was DEFINATELY going to hit us so we bought anything we could, of course the storm never came :rolleyes:
    I'm a weather watcher too, I'm finding it hard to believe we haven't had a storm come close yet! I keep watching the weather channel's "local on the 8s" and "tropic watch" :)

7. AJK

Aug 7, 2003

From an Associated Press story today....
    (AP) - MIAMI - The current hurricane season is likely to be busier than originally thought, with more of a danger to the United States and Caribbean, government forecasters said Thursday.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration now expects seven to nine hurricanes, including three to four major storms packing winds of at least 111 mph. An above-average two hurricanes and two tropical storms have formed so far as the season approaches its peak, from mid-August through October. The full season began June 1 and ends Nov. 30.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2003

And if that isn't scary enough, tornadoes touched down in Riviera Beach this evening. My son got home with girlfriend to tell me they were on the beach watching it come, got in car, were stuck in gas station (no power) with tank on empty, while tornado came through.

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 7, 2003

storm chasers

i am shocked that any one would WANT to experience a tornado!
    I HATE barricading and 'sitting' out a storm. We had a HORRIBLE shutter accident in the garage AFTER putting aluminum shutters away.

Pinned my husband on his back, with all the shutter weight on his legs and chest. took 8 grown men (fire rescue) to lift one panel at a time off of him. He went thru three cans of nitro and was not taken to local ER but to TRAUMA at memorial east.

I was fortunate to still have my husband alive and with all his limbs and after three weeks of him being out of work on serious pain killers and daily dr. appointments to check liver for muscle tissue damage, and having to get him to the toilet and lowering him to the seat, or assisting with tasks such as undressing, he is left with ONLY a numb left knee and thigh, and several HUGE disfiguring (keyloid sp?) scars on his right arm and minor scars that have healed on his chest to blend in with body hair.

three weeks later, a woman was KILLED with the same accident.

contacted a lawyer and he said... no loss of life or limb, not worth taking the case!:eek:

10. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Aug 7, 2003

Regarding the tornado: They opened shelters up here in Palm Beach County! Wicked weather season in Florida has begun!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2003

Ruth - my son is 20. That explains a lot.

Shilo - where in PB Cty are you? I'm in West Palm - Greenacres area.

12. AJK

Aug 13, 2003

There's a storm front coming

Courtesy of Billy Joel:
    "There's a storm front coming (mood indigo)
    White water running and the pressure is low
    Storm front coming (mood indigo)
    Small craft warning on the radio..."

SOUTHEAST FLORIDA -- A strong tropical disturbance currently over the Central and Northwest Bahamas is moving toward South Florida and the Florida Keys. A flood watch is in effect until 11:00am Thursday.

To Shilo, Ruth, and 'Upsadaisy', and everyone else in South Florida, stay inside and stay dry!

13. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 13, 2003

okay ladies 2 weeks to go

a named storm with two weeks to go, no kidding!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 13, 2003

Yep, tomorrow's wet weather is sure to put a crimp in our Back to School Night. Maybe it will cool things down a bit???

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2003

I live in MI... and we had our first tornado warning this week!!! I headed down to the basement and waited out the storm with our local news channel!!! Not too exciting compared to down there!!! LOL!!!

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 13, 2003

I always make sure that I teach my weather unit at the beginning of the year so we can track the hurricanes. I live far enough up in Louisiana that we don't get (much) of the storms when they hit. What my kids see more of is the influx of people running from the storm.
    As for the tornadoes, I have to admit I LOVE watching storms. When I was a little girl something about the area where I lived prevented the tornadoes from touching down. I could sit on my front porch and watch them come in. Right before they would get to the house they would vear off right or left. I'm hoping to get a chance to go on a storm chasing workshop next summer.

Christy

17. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 14, 2003

ha, run from the storm!

I am native to S. Florida and i have lived in evacuation zones so your goal is only to get to higher ground. The roads out (north) of florida are SWAMPED (ha, gotta get a giggle from those who got the joke)
    Seriously, the roads are always packed and more dangerous at the time of a storm. I do recall one storm, hurricane that hit us but then hit louisiana so everyone who left here to louisiana to bear the storm got hit with it up there!
    I now live 3miles from the everglades so i am as far west as you can go! No ocean for 45 minutes!

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2003

Ruth,
    Are you SWAMPED when you head towards Gainsville?!? LOL!!!

My hubby was a Gator for a couple of yrs. before moving here!!!

19. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 14, 2003

ONLY HURRICANES FANS

no gator fans live here, only UM grads!

How bout them hurricanes!:D

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2003

I didn't go to U of Mich here, but I also cheer for them... you can imagine our household when Mich kicked Gator butt on New Year's Day at the Outback Bowl!!! We always disagree of what team is better, well we found out that day.:D

21. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 14, 2003

university of MIAMI

michigan- pshaw, miami!

22. AJK

Sep 11, 2003

What do you guys think about Isabel? It was looking real scary for south Florida this morning, but by now my husband said the track looks like it may go a little more north....

23. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 11, 2003

you had to say it 3xs! must be bad

My husband is stocking up tonight. We have used our waters and canned soups. I cant stand when that stuff is around, and in sight, makes it hard to not get into the stash. He actually is calling our painter to offer him some money for him to commit him to bring over his buddies if we need to put up shutters- I can do the first floor with ease and a short ladder but there is NO WAY i am getting up on the tall ladder and swaying in the wind to put up shutters that way as much as they do and are as sharp as they are...Then when you get the nut to the screw and it DROPS to the bushes below. ARGH! Remember how nice it is when the eye is passing? HMMM no electricity, no atoz chat. OH NOOOOO

24. AJK

Sep 11, 2003

Re: you had to say it 3xs! must be bad

My computer went haywire! I deleted the other two :p
    I think we're headed to Winn Dixie tonight...we can always use bottled water and can foods anyway ;)

25. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 11, 2003

hurricane party

Hey, i have PLENTY of rooms here if you need a evacuation place! I am on Bonaventure and Griffin in Weston. We could have a 'canes party! :D

26. austeach

austeach Companion

Sep 11, 2003

I am beginning to be really thankful that we don't have hurricanes over here. Last cyclone I can remember was years ago and we only caught the tail end of that.
    I just picture living on canned beans for a few weeks, and the image is NOT pretty.:eek:

27. AJK

Sep 13, 2003

They say Isabel will miss Florida, but the weather has been so sunny and "tropical" lately, like the calm before the storm ;) , I'm not entirely convinced...I think we have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to know for sure...
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2003

Good luck to you Florida folks- I lived in Charleston SC for Hurricane Hugo- devastating!! ALK- What is that pink thing in your picture? Stacking blocks??

29. AJK

Sep 13, 2003

Good Luck to You! Maybe Isabel will turn like Fabian? <crossed fingers>
    The "pink thing" is a Pink Tower. A famous Montessori lesson.

30. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 13, 2003

bought 36 gallons of water

I am so ready for this storm and my sister is in an evacuation zone in Aventura so she will come to us. I remember for hurricane andrew, my god mother invited us all to come stay with her (my parents were living in evacuation zone of Miami Beach)

Well,my godmother lived in KENDAL which left her and my godfather pushed up against a bathroom door as their roof lifted and shifted over 2 feet.

I love the picture of the pink tower.

Its purpose is similar to nesting blocks that can be stacked on top of each other to create a tower. I never had a pink tower or the cylinder knobs in my elem. room. How do you ever keep the kids from 'taking' home the pink cube from the top?

31. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 14, 2003

Thanks alot guys! I'm in NC with Isabel looking toward us. We'e been through 5 hurricanes in four years--don't need another one!

32. austeach

austeach Companion

Sep 14, 2003

My thoughts are with everyone over there who is facing a hurricane. I can't imagine what must go through your heads as the news mentions another one coming closer. I hope everything goes well and you and your families are safe.

33. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Sep 15, 2003

Please take care everyone on the east coast of America. I've been watching the news(Canadian and American) and Isabel seems to be sooooo big. I feel like I know you all and I hope you keep safe this week, I'll be thinking of you!
    Dawn

34. AJK

Sep 15, 2003

We've joked and complained for awhile about Hurrican Season. As seasoned verterans of South Florida, we can do that :) We sort of have a mutual respect going with the weather down here. But seriously, take care, and heed the warnings, Isabel is a powerful storm. Everyone in the Carolinas, Virginia and the rest of the North-Eastern seaboard will be in my thoughts and prayers.

35. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 15, 2003

are we now off the hook?

I am so out of touch... too busy typing lesson plans. are we going to have any percentage of Isabel? Any bands at all? I guess its a relief as i was expecting a seventy five percent chance hit. WHEW:D

36. prattmb1

prattmb1 Rookie

Sep 15, 2003

I live about 60 miles inland from where they're predicting Isabelle to make landfall.
    Seeing as I'm a northerner and never been through a hurricane before, anyone want to tell me what I should expect about 60 miles from the eye?
    I've heard a lot of things and they seem to conflict. I don't know whether to worry or not!

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2003

This hurricane is supposed to be 100 miles across, right? So you would be just outside the level 5 winds when it comes across. If it comes across land where they say it will. It probably won't. So, you may get the full brunt of it - or it might miss you except for wind and rain. I would be prepared. 120 miles an hour winds can blow people off their feet. Make sure you have a plan of where to go to in your house to be away from windows - or go to a shelter. Don't leave garbage cans or benches in the yard. Be prepared for no power.

38. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 16, 2003

room WITHOUT a view

You need to locate a room with NO view/ ONly walls and DOWNSTAIRS. Dont bring your favorite comforters but do bring blankets and pillow or lawn chair for comfort.
    Hurricane andrew was devastating to us with the tornadoes it spawned. I know the winds took the roof off of the hurricane center so we were all left with NO formal information thru that storm! (They have learned so much since that any warnings they provide- take seriously)
    Find a room in the house that is your safety room. As the storm approaches its the room you will STAY in. (dont plan on being cozy in your bed, you want to be prepared for the worst case scenario which means your family needs to be able to fit in side this closet or bathroom. Wind noise is deafening so prepare for that with (ear plugs) They wont block out all noise completely but will make the experience a little less frightening. (especially for little guys) Fill a tote with all food, flashlights,first aid kit, and such that you will need for the experience. (it should be IN the safety room with you) If you have any thing outside that may act as a projectile if winds should lift it into the air, then move them in to a garage. All patio furniture should be bolted down or put in the garage. Leave NO HANGING baskets with plants outside- They will not be there after the storm. Flooding is inevitable but you could try to bag the doors- it will stifle the rattling noise and keep rain from blowing under neath. Sand may be hard to come by if you want to keep rain from being driven under your doors. Use KITTY LITTER! Flooding may occur so water may be contaminated. you can buy bottled water and string them up if in a closet to the shelving or if you are in a bathroom on a stall or shower pole. Keep the ground free for you to wait out the storm. RADIO is a must. and also bring a chinese food take out tupperware container into the safety room with you as it may be your only potty! Once the container is shut it wont smell. (we use the container to sit on/aim but we line it with ziplock bags for easy disposal and containment.

Serious note: Pets, I know you love your pets but animals when scared are exactly that, animals.
    If you take your animal into the safety room with you be prepared that they may FREAK out. Put the animal into a pet carrier or kennel cage. DO NOT try and hold them. Barometric pressure changes will make them really agitated.

The calm before the storm- must enjoy that moment its unforgettable.
    good luck and I am soooo praying for God to turn Isabel from any land fall.

39. AJK

Sep 16, 2003

I can add very little to what Ruth said except:
    If possble, board your windows up. Plywood works in a pinch, screw it right into your house.
    Put all of your important papers (marriage/birth certificates, passports, titles to house/car, etc.) in a plastic bag, put that plastic bag inside another plastic bag and store that someplace extra safe...I've heard that the trunk of your car is a good place, if not take it into the safe room with you.
    Fill your car with gas, and back it into your driveway. You never want to leave in the middle of a storm but if there is an emergency you'll be ready to go.
    After the storm:
    Also you must Realize that you not only have to prepare for the storm itslef but a few days/weeks even afterward (worst case senario, but better to be prepared). You may not be able to go to the store to buy food, diapers, feminie products, etc. for over week until debris is cleared, or power is on, etc. Never underestimate the importance of bottled water--you may need it to drink, to cook, and to bathe with after the storm. Also (I know this sounds obvious) but be extra careful going outside afterward. Many people are killed after the storm. Power lines can fall into flooded streets and you never see them.
    Please listen to all warnings, everyone will be in my prayers.

40. suejulene

suejulene Rookie

Sep 21, 2003

Hurricane Isabel

What a mess... I live in Virginia Beach, VA and, while we have power back at our house.. many here do not.. I mean over a million here still without power. We are out of school and there are trees down on my school..not sure of any damage though.

Hurricanes are interesting to follow...and will pose wonderful things to study and write about when we get back...a but, as I said, ..what a mess.

SueJulene