Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2012

:hugs: chem!

Back to school for me, too, tomorrow. We will have trick or treating tomorrow, but nothing halloween-ish in school.

2. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 5, 2012

I am really missing my parents (and the rest of my family) right now. I wish I could figure out how to get to Long Island to help out... and give them all a hug. My aunts and uncles have been life savers to my parents this past week. I'm really close with my parents and to be 1200 miles away when I know they need people is so hard.

Though she did text me earlier today when I was at work saying that she got a call from the neighbor across the street. Their block got power! They will know if their house has power tomorrow 100%. They are in Massapequa and didn't want to waste gas to go check tonight. My dad was like "I'll believe it when I flip the switch on."

Here is to hoping that their power did come back on.

My mom said that was the best news she got all week.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

Hugs and prayers, Chem.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

Huge hugs, chem.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 5, 2012

So happy for my relatives in Westchester and CT who finally got their power back this weekend.
    Although I am over 100 miles north of NYC, it looks like we might have a gas "situation" here as well. On Friday, I waited behind 12-15cars for gas. They actually had security people there to make sure the line ran smoothly. I don't know if people were panicking or what but there is NEVER a line for gas around here. The sheriff showed up for some reason. I wonder if people were fighting. One gas station near the mall was closed. I'm not sure if they were out of gas or had some kind of problem with the pumps.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

Chris, have dad call home. If the answering machine picks up, he has power.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2012

I was using this method to check on power at my dance studio...turns out the phone lines and cable are still out even though the power is back...optimum is telling us a week.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 5, 2012

Talked to mom at work. They have power. Their phones and internet are still down though. But at least my dad can run the shop vac without having to set up the generator and risk it turning off like it had been.

9. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

My area was devastated. Luckily I live just a few miles from the water, so no flood damage. My husband's Aunt lost her entire house on Staten Island. Her car must have been drifted into the ocean because she can't find it either. We had damage to our roof, and trees that must be 80 years old that are all down in our neighborhood.

The gas shortage here is horrendous. I waited 2 1/2 hours last week, my sister waited 4 hours 2 days ago.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 5, 2012

Passed 3-line-free gas stations today. What a relief!

11. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

I don't really know what more either one of them would be doing if they were in the area besides using up more resources and personnel that should be helping storm victims.

12. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 5, 2012

So things got a little better today. I was able to get gas and groceries after my mom's chemo appointment so that's a victory.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

Hugs to mom!:hugs:

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2012

They're darned if they do visit to express their sympathies and intentions because they are not suffering like others and darned if they don't because they don't give a crap.

15. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 6, 2012

My parents have heat! Their plumber showed up at 11pm last night to fix their oil burner! Even though they need a new system and a new water heater (the plumber was able to suck out the seaweed and stuff in the water heater to get it working) because the salt water is corroding it from the inside out at least, as of now, they have hot water and heat and electricity! =)

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2012

That is great because it is COLD!!!!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2012

Chris~glad they have heat! I feel for those that are still without power with the cold weather coming up soon.

18. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 6, 2012

I should have put it like this... the guy was able to "fix" their oil burner.

My mom said today that it kind of sounds like it's going to take off into outer space. It is loud and obnoxious and they don't know when it will die again. Ed said it could last 1 hour, 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, 1 month or longer. But for now at least they have heat!

They were also approved by FEMA to stay at a hotel if they need to leave their house because of no water, heat, etc. So if it goes down again they can just stay at a hotel- if there are rooms available that is.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 6, 2012

That's great, Chrissteeena! I'm glad they were able to get assistance from FEMA. In the last hurricane we lost everything in our basement including our oil burner and water heater. We were lucky we had a wood pellet stove or we would have froze!

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2012

You should make sure they have and have changed the batteries in their carbon monoxide detector. My friend works in an er and the amount of people that have been coming in is unbelievable.

21. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 6, 2012

Just got a call...schools closed for the rest of the WEEK, and possibly next Monday.
    :(

22. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 6, 2012

We're in the same boat. Today is day 7. We are closed tomorrow and Thursday and Friday is still up in the air. About 10% of,our town still doesn't have power.

23. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2012

We are back, but a lot of schools around here are not. Good luck! Stay warm.

24. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 6, 2012

My town has had power since last Thurs (we're PSEG), and the town I teach in is just like 10 miles away with only about 40% power (they're JCP & L). We're not even remotely close to any coastal area either. We already go to school until like June 26 I believe so that's gonna be rough after losing spring break I'm sure...

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2012

I didn't see your response because you deleted it before I was able to read it as is sometimes the case. But there was no disrespect intended, Alice. I have seen the same reaction in various unfortunate situations, and I simply think it's a difficult position for community and national leaders.

26. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 8, 2012

My dad got a call today from the insurance company. They aren't going to send out an insurance adjuster, they simply don't have the resources.

They are just going to cut us a check for the amount in damages/lost goods and then a bit on top.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 8, 2012

I'm amazed that towns are still without power, especially for those not in flooded areas or houses that aren't destroyed.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2012

LOTS of downed trees and wires. The guys who took care of the tree and wires on my street were from Illinois...my insurance adjuster came in from Chicago...help is coming from all over....it's THAT MUCH destruction.

29. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 8, 2012

We were once without power for 10 days, by day 8, I was about to lose my mind.