Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 1, 2012

Does anyone know the death/injury tolls for this storm?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2012

In the US, 55 confirmed deaths as of eight hours ago; I Googled "hurricane sandy casualties". 69 died in the Caribbean. Figures for deaths may take a while to be finalized. I haven't seen figures for injuries.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

We're starting to hear from people at work as they get to places with internet service. It's heartbreaking.

Obviously we won't be giving the SATs this Saturday. The makeup date is November 17.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 1, 2012

On the radio they were talking about a woman who died while driving her car during the hurricane. A large piece of debris flew into her windshield and killed her. So sad.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

"For the first time in its 158-year history, the NJEA Convention has been cancelled.

NJEA President Barbara Keshishian announced the decision today, “in light of the natural disaster that has struck New Jersey and Atlantic City in particular. It was a difficult decision, but we believe it was the correct one, considering the statewide impact of this unprecedented storm.”

Keshishian also announced that the leadership of NJEA is exploring ways for NJEA members, leaders, and staff to contribute to and assist in the city’s cleanup and recovery."

We were scheduled to be off next week for this. Canceled convention will allow us to make up two of the days missed this week due to the hurricane.:)

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Nov 1, 2012

I'm hoping we get to make up those days too, but there are people saying that would go against the contract. I hope that's not true. More days in June = not fun.

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Nov 1, 2012

I just heard about the NJEA convention being cancelled, and I'm very interested to see what happens next. Personally, I think it'd be great to use those two days to make up school! If I worked full time, I'd be anxious to return to my classroom again. On the flip side, I know there may be contract issues. Plus tons of families in NJ use that week to go on vacation so I'm expecting a lot of parental complaints too. If schools re-open, there may be a lot of absences regardless. :unsure:

Again, interested to see what happens.

Everyone affected by Sandy remains in my thoughts. I went to my parents' shore place yesterday and there was no damage at all! Such relief!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

It would be foolish to fight this. The days off were for convention. Making a stink about working those days now just gives fodder to those who already publicly downgrade our profession.

9. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Nov 1, 2012

^
    I'm already reading everyone bashing us on all the local patch websites. Such a nice feeling....

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

I'm curious about how they'll do the election.

SO MANY people are displaced, so many polling places have been destroyed or simply have no power...

11. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Nov 1, 2012

Agreed. I'm in south Jersey, but I have many friends in the northern part of the state and most of them won't have power for 7 more days. :unsure:

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 1, 2012

I think it's a good idea to make those regular school days as well. The fear I have is commuting to work all next week with no idea how I'll get gas for my car. :(

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

We can get gas at a few stations here, but you have to sit in line for an hour.

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2012

Oh no. That's all those poor people need. Lots of them no longer own a winter coat.

Last night we had one houseguest, tonight we have 2-- friends of the kids who don't have power or heat.

Joey's sister has nowhere warm to go; the only one of her friends who has heat already has a housefull. (Really??? There's not room for one little 15 year old girl????) I told her mom to try, hard, to convince her to come here, but apparently she had no luck.

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2012

I filled up before the storm so I still have a half tank, but on my drive home tonight I passed 12 gas stations... ONE had gas and there were 90 cars online and it was after 11 pm.

If more gas does not get delivered, I will only be able to drive to work 2 times....maybe once if traffic is as bad as they say on lie.

Both showers baby and bridal scheduled for this weekend have been cancelled...which is good bc e baby shower was 35 mins away.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2012

That's so crazy. I just saw the gas lines on Fox News.

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2012

And then there is the NYC marathon Sunday.....insane situation.

19. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 1, 2012

There's one functioning Valero station near my house. My parents tried to fill up the cars after dinner and the line was down the road, taking up the entire right lane on the County Road for about a half mile.

They opted to wake up and fill up at 5 AM, since the station is 24-hours.

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2012

That's if they don't run out!

Long island press is saying that gas stations that just got their electric back on are becoming available...the gas is there, they just didn't have the electric to pump it. So that is good. They were all in Syosset and that area though.

21. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 1, 2012

They did it last night :). I'm from wayyyy eastern Suffolk. Not many people are around during the winter because most of the population is made up of people who "summer" there :rolleyes:.

22. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2012

Long island press also saying some gas stations are capping at $20- That's less than 5 gallons....at an hour a gallon on a generator, those generators aren't looking very useful now.

23. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2012

How did they do? I was surprised to hear how well mtk did, ocean beach hotel didn't even lose power, my friend is staying there this weekend and was expecting to hear it was washed away.

24. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 2, 2012

They did well. They never lost power, and only had a few downed trees in the backyard and a few missing shingles. The water rose above the curb and washed away a lot of the mulch in the landscaping and flooded the yard, though. The pool cover caved in under the weight of all the water so the pool is filled with dirt and sticks and crud. It'll have to be drained and cleaned before we open it next summer.

25. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2012

Well that is good, a pool is a lot easier to deal with than the inside of a house. I consider myself one of the lucky ones as well. My friends in oak dale hosed down the inside of the house bc everything was wet anyway and the water had oil, sand and salt everywhere.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

As I understand it, the 5 gallon max is pretty common. You can't even put the hose into your car; you have to have a 5 gallon gas container to fill up-- hence the issue with people cutting lines and the need for police supervision at gas stations. It's getting ugly at some of them from what I hear.

Honestly, the only time we've used the cars was yesterday. Somehow we ran low on toilet paper and Peter ran to the supermarket.

I want to conserve gas in case my mom or one of my siblings need something in a hurry.

Mike, I'm glad to hear your family fared so well.

I just went to Power School and checked the addresses for each of the kids I teach.

I'm going to have a NUMBER of kids from each class who simply won't be there if we open anytime soon. Their addresses are in places like Point Lookout and Long Beach and Freeport,

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

Mike, glad to hear that all is okay with your family.

You all continue to be at the front of my thoughts.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 2, 2012

I just heard that some of my relatives who live close to NYC will not have power until sometime next week! Also, people are saying those who live south of us will probably drive north to get gas. That might mean gas shortages for us too.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

AMAZING-- the NYC Marathon is still on for this Sunday!!!!!!

Hundreds of thousands of homes with no power, 110 houses burned down in Breezy Point, people who have lost everything, a gas shortage, mandatory carpooling for anyone trying to enter NYC, most of the tunnels still flooded, no way to get into Manhattan via train, immense gridlock problems and a LOT of accidents because of traffic lights that have no power-- and they're going to divert the city's precious resources to a race?????? With the threat of a nor'easter next week, you're going to make it LESS convenient for people to batten down the hatches of their homes? You're going to shut down the Verazano Bridge? You're going to take policemen off other urgent jobs to help with a race??? Close down streets that have just opened?? Ask runners to dodge dangling wires, or give those particular streets priority over people with more pressing needs?? Use up precious hotel rooms for people not already in the city?? Seriously????

Mayor Bloomberg, I'm normally a fan. And I'm guessing you have your reasons. But from where I'm sitting, it's NOT a wise choice!!!! "Normalcy" is great, but not at this high a cost!!! You can't force "normal."

30. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2012

It's horrible...I have 6 friends running..well registered to run, they do not want to do it, but also do not want to give nyrr another $250- to defer to next year.....it really should be postponed, how can you take cops that are doing real work to stand on every corner and water from the people who need it.

Not to mention, the Facebook groups who are threatening bodily harm to any runners who show up.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

Another issue, at least for us, is having the gas to run the school buses.

Right now, it's almost impossible to get gasoline on Long Island. So even if they do get the 500,000 or so LIPA customers who are still without power up and running, and clear all the dangling wires away from the bus stops, and clear the streets and make them all passable, they've got to get bus drivers who can get to work and gas into the busses.

I'm not at all sure we'll be back in school until late next week. And the threat of that nor'easter could mean that tree limbs that are dangling above wires will come down.

In good news, the roofers came and put up a tarp on our damaged roof. And I think I've convinced 2 familes of friends who still don't have power to stay overnight with us. The temps are supposed to dip close to freezing. There's no reason for anyone to be cold if we have heat.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

Just found out my district will be in session next Thursday and Friday now that the NJ Teachers Convention is canceled. So glad we'll be able to make up two of these days we've been off. Time to get back to work and a sense of normalcy.:love:

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

I got a call from my AP. While we still don't have power, they're hoping to open Monday. One of the teachers is in the National Guard and has been called up; I'm covering his homeroom for the duration.

34. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 2, 2012

Just got a call from my school saying IF we have school next week, then we have school on the convention days but they suspect it will be a partial week at most anyway. Never wanted to get back to working so bad.

35. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

36. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 2, 2012

We just got our power/phone/internet/tv back today. What a long week.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2012

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2012

I agree. Right decision.

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2012

Still thinking of everyone. Just not having power is so hard, much less everything else. We were without power for two full weeks a few years ago as a result of a snow storm...very difficult. :(

40. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2012

Just got the call...back to work Monday, I hope gas gets delivered, I only have 1 commute worth of gas.