Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

That is insane!! Idiots.

2. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

Wow, that's a long time. I wonder how long it will actually take lipa to restore power, they are saying 14 days but it looks like they made a lot of progress today.

I have no idea how the town I work in is, it's 45 mins away, I just know the school doesn't have power.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 30, 2012

My Sr. year of HS my sisters and neighbors were out of school for nearly 3 months because of Andrew (I went to a boarding school, so after the first month, I went to my regular school). Even after that much time, hundreds of students in South Dade county were bused to points farther north.

In other news, we finally heard from my aunt. They still have no power, but she was able to post to fb from her phone.

I'm glad to hear from everybody in the affected areas and that you guys are safe and unhurt.

4. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 30, 2012

Alice, or anyone on LI for that matter, do you know how Wantagh is doing tonight s. of Merrick Rd? My mom had sent me a text a few hours ago saying they were leaving and heading back to my Aunt and Uncles. I asked her if everything was okay and I haven't gotten a response back. It's making me worried. Their phones are still down except for really slow texting.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 30, 2012

I'm not sure of that area specifically but my friend in Valley Stream says Nassau is still pretty bad :/

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 30, 2012

Thanks, Mike. My parents went to Valley Stream again. I am just worried because I don't know if they went there because they have no power in Wantagh and my Aunt & Uncle have power in VS, if more water is going into their house, or some other reason. I just wish I could get through to them. I'll try to call them in the morning.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

I haven't been off my block since before the storm hit. So I'm not sure about Wantagh.

They say Levittown lost a lot of trees, but I haven't heard anything about Wantagh.

The good news is that the vast majority of what I'm hearing is property damage-- people seem to be OK.

South of Merrick Road probably took a hit, depending on how close to the water they were.

90% of LIPAs customers lost power in the storm, so communication is hard. But again, the PEOPLE are doing fine, it's just the property that's taken a hit. Local authorities did a great job of warning people, and the people seem to have stayed safe, with only a few exceptions.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

The dangling power lines in front of my house are giving me the creeps. I'm so afraid someone will just not see them and get in serious trouble, or that they'll blow in the wind into someone passing by.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

Hopefully those wires can be taken care of soon, Alice!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

LIPA outage map:
    http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/outagemap.html

I hope too, Mrs. C. But we're certainly not alone in the problem, so I'm guessing we're pretty low in the list of priorities. In the meantime we'll warn people away and pray.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

Obviously somebody needs a hobby.

Seriously, it's not all that hard to do. But can you imagine taking the time to track someone down like that?? You have nothing better to do?? No papers to grade, no lessons to plan? No friends in real life you can talk to? You're supposedly from NY-- threre's not an area of this state that didn't feel the effects of this storm. Yet there's no better use for your time than to stalk me?? Sad.

I'm guessing it's the same person who hopes that my cancer returns and kills me.

Funny, you know my name. Yet you hide behind the alias of a new member to make your comments-- you didn't even have the guts to post under your normal username. I'm sincerely hoping you're not a real teacher; I would hate to think of the example you set in a classroom.

I think I'm supposed to cower in fear now??

Sorry, sweetheart. Not happening.

But instead of assuming the role of online stalker, you might consider using your time to learn more about teaching from the many wonderful educators on this site. There's a lot to be learned. And it would be so much better a use for your spare time.

You might also consider actual prayer-- for all those who lost family members, all their belongings, and/or their sense of security in this massive disaster. I'm sure you can put your detective skills to use and find a church or a synagogue that would be happy to have you.

To those of you wondering, someone pretended to be a new member, cursed and "outed" my last name, because apparently I'm hogging the hurricane.

Thanks mods.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 31, 2012

So glad to read that all I'm familiar with here are doing well. I'm so sorry for all the destruction. I've been glued to the tv and have been just heart broken over all the destruction.

Poor praytoteach needs to do more than pray to "teach".

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

Wow.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2012

Talked to MIL... heard from fam in NY they are all ok, but no power... probably be a week or more!!!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

Thank God, Diz.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2012

Thanks Alice... Their neighbor has a generator so they can go there for showers and what not. They cooked all their food the before the storm.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

Good news, Diz! Good that they have friends and neighbors to help out! These times should bring out the good in people, but maybe the truth is it reveals true character as evidenced earlier.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2012

Thanks cza... the same neighbor's helped out last year when they lost power for a week... It is nice to have good neighbors.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2012

I know two people in wants ugh....1 had 4 feet of water, the other was fine and cherrywood pizza was open. I guess it depends where they are.

21. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Oct 31, 2012

Glad everyone is doing well. I have power back in Pine Beach. My schools are still closed. My apartment wont have power until the weekend is over.

22. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 31, 2012

0o0o0 I wish I saw this a few minutes ago. My parents finally got through to me by calling and said they were starving bc they haven't eaten much in the last two days. They love Cherrywood.

They have a lot of damage. The smells were overpowering by them last night which is why they left again- I guess oil burners had been falling over and the smell of fuel was strong. High tide brought in another 2 inches of water into the basement but they got it pumped out.

Things are a mess over there. Trees uprooted, someones foundation collapsed, the people across the street from them were trapped on their 2nd floor with 4 feet of water on their main floor.

We still haven't been able to get in contact with J's Aunt and Uncle in Merrick. We know things are bad there too- they are S. of Merrick Rd. pretty much on the water. We just wish we could get a hold of them.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2012

I saw that on the news last night. My first thoughts were that with house fires, normally the neighbors pull together and help each other out. But when your neighbors have lost their house too... :(

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2012

I heard today that FPL sent 800 workers up north to help with the power situation... they've lots of experience with hurricanes. I'm sure other states are sending in workers, as well.

Keep updating us... and stay safe.

26. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2012

They just called no school until Monday for me, they are saying up to 2 weeks to restore power, I wonder how this will effect election day.

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2012

Crews from our area were headed into eastern KY and WV--many people there are without power from the snow as well as the wind.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2012

Oh, sheesh, Alice. That's just crazy. It's not that hard to do with the information you've shared over the years, so what in the world is the purpose of this person sharing your last name?! And can't those with special rights here at A to Z determine who it is based on IP addresses?

Anyhow, I've had my fill of news in the past few days. Too many sad stories, sick individuals, and tragic deaths both locally and all over. :(

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

That's been my thought since the beginning. Seems like its someone here hiding behind an alias. Coward. Should be outed.

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2012

And also very ridiculous. I was very grateful for the personal updates from all my AtoZ friends. I was worried about you guys!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

:hugs:

32. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 31, 2012

Alice, that is a shame. I keep checking up on this post-like amakaye, I've been worried about all of you.
    Our Halloween trick or treating has been cancelled across the area. It is still raining here. Flooding is terrible.

33. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Oct 31, 2012

Hi guys. Hoping all is ok over there, our news is full of Sandy. Scary stuff, there doesn't seem to be a good choice to make facing weather like this. Anyway, best wishes from Australia! :love:

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2012

Alice, I wondered about that post. That person definitely needs a hobby.

I can't believe how much people are under water. I'm a little blown away by it actually. Here I live on a 2-17 mile wide island and even during category 3 or 4 storms, we didn't see nearly the flooding that was caused by this one. Yet some places were severely flooded before the storm was even on them.

Thanks for the updates.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

It was two storms in one...

So the electric company just called to see if our power was restored yet...uhhh, I never lost power but that tree blocking my street which is suspended by electric wires which bent and broke a few telephone poles, HAD KiDS WALKING UNDER IT AND CLIMBING ON IT TODAY! seriously...I know kids and parents are getting stir crazy but this is parental negligence.

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2012

Actually we were speaking to a neighbor who is in insurance yesterday.

He said that the people in Breezy are probably better off than their neighbors. Apparently when you lose your home to fire, you get living expenses while you're living elsewhere; when you lose it to a hurricane you don't.

I can't begin to imagine the agony of seeing everything you treasure wiped out.

As to my stalker, I can only imagine that it's a 15 year old who poses here as a teacher. Surely no adult would hide behind anonymity like that??? Or have the inclination and time to track down that sort of information??

37. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2012

We had power lines down and the recovery crew first just went through and made sure that whatever was down was at least up off the ground. It took a few more days after that for them to come and fix it. I kinda like that the first sweep through wasn't about who had priority but safety.

38. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 31, 2012

We just got power back after about 48 hours. The devastation at the Shore is overwhelming. My in-laws live there and the loss is hard to process.

39. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2012

Crews from our electric company left on Monday to go up that way. The only reason why I know is that we were in the jury pool for a trial. They got excused. i still had to sit and wait. Luckily I didn't get called but two other teachers were chosen. One of which was my coworker. Praying for all those in need.

40. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 31, 2012

I am so saddened by the devastation, but I am glad that everyone here is okay. We had a snow day yesterday and a lot of power outages but nothing like the east coast is dealing with!