Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

It turns out that those pieces of roof on our front lawn belong to us-- our next door neighbor can see it from his bedroom.

It's in the back half of the girls' room. You can't see sky, but we'll need a new roof.

2. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

We are getting a bit of rain and the graupel (like freezing pellets).

I'll have to call my MIL to see how our Uncle faired as well... He's on Long Island.

Continued thoughts and prayers for all of you out there... Now hoping you have some descent weather to clean up before cold and snow moves that way....

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

How much of your roof? We're missing a patch of roof shingles...hopefully just those can be replaced.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

It's hard to tell; Peter is going next door later to take pictures from their attic window.

The two pieces on our lawn are probably a total of about 10 or 12 square feet. I'm not sure what landed next door.

It's down to the plywood. So it will probably keep out some of the cold, but it's going to leak if we get rain or snow.

Peter just spoke to the insurance company. Understandably it may be a while before they can get an adjuster here.

5. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Oct 30, 2012

The good news is, that a roof, in the big picture, is fairly easy to have repaired. Hopefully you can cover it until you can get it taken care of! Thinking of you still!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 30, 2012

I'm glad to be hearing from those of you in the storm area. Alice, I'm really glad to hear that you just had some moderate roof damage, and nothing devastating. I've heard from almost everybody I know in the area, but I'm still waiting to hear from my aunt.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

Mmswm...lots of power out in city. Tunnels are flooded. Subways, PATH trains shut down. No telling when it will all get dried out and repaired, but it's going to be a commuting nightmare. Do you know what street your aunt lives on? Could be she evacuated or is with friends...cell phone circuits are iffy at best. Thinking of all who are facing struggles because of this. We were fortunate in our relatively minor damage.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

90% of Long Island has no power, as is true with a good part of NYC.

The pictures are devastating. The tunnels into NYC are mostly flooded; some of the bridges have reopened.

LIRR is looking at 4 different lines of 100 miles each into and out of NYC (aside from that flooded tunnel of course) that will have to be reopened once they're cleared and fixed.

The extent of the damage is simply mind boggling.

I'm worried about some of the people from work-- the teachers and kids who live in some of the areas hardest hit.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

You guys are constantly in my thoughts. Lauren must be following this as well (it's hard not to be) because I just got an email from her asking how things were here.

10. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 30, 2012

I heard from my parents via text. Their cell phones aren't making or receiving any calls. They are okay. Shockingly, the big tree that began leaning during Irene is still standing. Which, I think was the biggest worry that it was going to fall and land on the house. Their fence is broken, plants were uprooted and there is random stuff in their back yard. Their basement is filled with water. But the water around their house has receded.

I'm unable to contact my Aunt & Uncle in Massapequa Park. The last I heard from them was last night when my Aunt was letting me know my parents were picked up by my other Uncle and they were going to stay in Valley Stream. My aunt kept saying she had to go talk to the firefighters at their house because their carbon monoxide detecter was going off.

My Grandparents out in Pt. Jefferson are fine. They are some of the lucky ones with power and are high enough they don't have flooding. I let them know what's been going on and told them if I hear anything I'll let them know.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

My neighbor's sister in Massapequa hasn't been heard from either; I think they simply have no power. Valley Stream should be fine in terms of safety-- my sister's house in Lynbrook was fine.

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Oct 30, 2012

Continued prayers to all.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

Called MIL hasn't heard from our Uncle...but probably without power!!!

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

I'm checking in, very very lucky, a few branches down and power is restored....many of my friends have 4 feet of water in their houses and boats that don't belong to them on their front lawns. School is closed again tomorrow. The pictures of fire island are just so sad, one of my favorite places.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

Glad to hear you're ok PC!!!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

The people who stayed on Fire Island should receive some hefty fines.

Their obstinance cost Suffolk county a vehicle,and could have cost the first responders their lives.

What idiocy.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

Alice... isn't it funny that we can get fined if we drink drive (our choice) and when people are told to leave they don't get fined. I get it's their homes, but doing stupid things that could hurt others as well as yourself is just they same on land or in 4 wheels or a boat....

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

Once you get to the point where it's a MANDATORY evacuation, I simply don't understand why it's so easy to just say no.

It's an ISLAND for crying out loud-- it's not like they would have a problem with looters if everyone is off the island in the middle of a hurricane.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

Check out this crazy picture taken in LaGuardia Airport

[​IMG]

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

EXACTLY Alice...
    I know it's scary when they say you may need to evacuate...
    I remember in an older house we lived not too far from a river and the police came to tell us to be prepared to evacuate the dam may break... the fear that enters your body is just overwhelming. But you know what as much as I had "things" I'd want to protect... I would have left no questions asked becaue those are just "things."

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

Lucy... WOW!!!! Unreal!!!

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

Yeah, they say LaGuardia is in rough shape.

24. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

I just talked to a coworker and she had NO CLUE about the hurricane. Granted, she's from Austria and lives here in CR so she probably doesn't know anyone in NE USA... but still...

I was telling her about it and she goes ''is it going to hit Costa Rica?'' Umm... no... I just said USA east coast... do you know where Costa Rica even is...

°face palm°

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

According to news12. the village just north of us had peak wind gusts of 82mph during the storm.

I guess I understand why we lost part of our roof.

Lucy, your coworker may not really understand what a hurricane is, or how it travels. I used to have a friend who grew up in Ireland and was here for Gloria. She had no idea of what to expect or of how things worked.

26. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Oct 30, 2012

Our schools have just been closed indefinitely until further notice. Hope everyone is ok. Hometown is under water!

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2012

The coverage of this storm is shocking. I know it seems silly, but I can so easily imagine places here flooded or ravaged by a tornado, I suppose because I've seen and experienced it...yet for some reason the big cities seem so untouchable in my small little mind. Thinking of you all and glad to hear reports from several of you!

28. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

I agree, it's just insane....the water was already so deep before the last ferry left. A friend stayed in his house in Freeport and at 830pm was on his couch on top of his kitchen table, at that point there was no way out bc the wind was too strong, glad he's ok today but he should have left when the rest of the block did.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

Off for tomorrow. NJ teachers are scheduled fr convention in AC next Thursday and Friday. I'm imagining that's off given AC is flooded.

30. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

Ours are closed again tomorrow. No electricity. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all week.

31. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2012

I think that's a safe bet....my friends class had a field trip scheduled to the fire island light house and sunken meadow....schools closed anyway but I'm sure it won't be rescheduled for anytime soon.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

Seaside Heights NJ is devastated as are many shore towns. The pics on the news show houses swamped by sand drifts blocks fom the beach. The boardwalk and amusement pier are gone.

33. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Oct 30, 2012

I'm close to seaside, in toms river. It's really heartbreaking to see all the devastation. I live in a small town on the river and many houses went completely under when the ocean broke through the barrier island (seaside).

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 30, 2012

Prayers for everyone on the East Coast. With the destruction here, I can only imagine it being three-fold for all of you.

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

So it's Cabbage Night here...the night before Halloween...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischief_Night

One would think the mischief makers would stay home. DH just stepped out on porch to check weather and found two groups of big kids...on our police cordened street, electric wires down and dangling, tree blocking the street...where exactly do their parents think these 'youts' (My Cousin Vinny reference) are? Seriously, our neighbors haven't been thru enough? We need to clean up eggshells and TP on top of every thing else? Wowza.

37. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2012

We were out of school 28 days for Frances and Jeanne... and then 12 days for Wilma. Didn't have to make up the days, though.

Glad everyone is safe. Don't go outside just yet. My family came through ok - Dad and bro safe (Dad decided not to risk the drive); cousins in Queens ok but with some damage to the house. No word on LI family yet.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

Anyone in NJ want to make a bet on next week's Teachers Convention? It's scheduled for AC.:huh:

39. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 30, 2012

It looks like there is a lot of cleaning up to do. CzaCza, I would be ticked if anyone TP'ed my house, especially after something like this. Nobody needs more crap to deal with.

40. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 30, 2012

We didn't have to make up hurricane days either.

I hope everyone hears from their loved ones. Not knowing is tough.