Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2012

I thought I would replace the other thread with one that's easier for people to locate.

And that I would shamelessly copy my last post from another thread:

We have a few days yet. That's the beauty part about hurricanes-- at least you can see them coming and do what's necessary to stay safe.

This weekend's prep includes:
    - Buying: batteries, bottled water, Halloween candy, getting cash

Prep:
    - getting caught up on laundry in case we lose power
    - finding the flashlights (really no big deal; they're in the basement drawer)
    - cleaning up to make it easier to navigate in case we lose power
    - cleaning the yard so we don't have any projectiles
    - gassing up the cars
    - recharinging all the phones, ipods, kindle
    - making sure any important papers in are in waterproof containers.
    -checking in on mom and the siblings, making sure anyone who has to evacuate knows they're welcome. I'm about as far from the water as you can get on LI, so my sister and I are safe bets for evacuation. But since mom and my other sister live closer to Peggy, she's more likely to get them.
    -refilling the bottles of water I always have on hand in case of an emergency. I've never used them, but I refill them every time a major storm threatens.

I did a full food shop last weekend, so we're good to go on that front. We have propane in the gas grill.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2012

Stay safe!

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 26, 2012

My mom is Florida (then St. Thomas) bound Friday morning/afternoon. The airline has already moved one of her flights. I hope they can bypass the storm somehow.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2012

Stay safe Alice... I know they are saying depending where she goes it could even affect our weather!!!

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 26, 2012

My parents are in Washington D.C. for meetings that are suppose to end Wednesday. They were told today to leave D.C. Meetings have been cancelled. The earliest flight that they could get out & home on isn't until tomorrow night.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2012

To do list:

Clean up construction supplies from yard.

Bring in potted plants.

Put yard furniture/garden decor in garage

Fill pitchers and bottles with water

Laundry

Battery/candles check

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 26, 2012

My parents are making me nervous. All they've done is put away lawn furniture and stock up a little extra food. They're skeptical of "historic" storms because of Irene.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2012

Irene did lots and lots and lots of damage upstate; we simply dodged a bullet.

Realistically, though, if they don't have young kids at home, that's all they need to do. I'm sure they'll make sure they have gas. And that they know where the flashlights are.

You reach a point where you're as ready as you can get.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2012

I'm in Central NJ (Places about a 10 minute drive from my house were flooded during Irene, while no flooding was near my property, although a lot of trees fell). My dad is currently out of state (In NC, visiting his ailing brother) and should be flying back Sunday morning to JFK.

To be honest, I hope it rains enough to cause my college to cancel classes on Monday (On Mondays, I have class from 11 AM to 7:15 PM). I just hope power doesn't get knocked out here.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2012

I imagine you'll get your hurricane day, though whether it's Monday or Tuesday remains to be seen.

But I would find the flashlights today, and get any potential projectiles out of the yard.

I just checked the tide chart at Jones Beach-- I REALLY hope I can get the kids there tomorrow!

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2012

Make sure you have your emergency backpacks ready for everyone in the family.

Make sure you have a battery-operated radio. We have two - one just for NOAA; one for when the power goes out and it's dark and not much else to do. (OK, we have three - we also have a marine radio in the house... like to listen to the Coast Guard during a storm.)

And make sure you have provisions for the animals in case you have to leave the house. ID tags, papers, leashes/crates, blankets, food, water. If you leave with the animal and you're headed to a shelter, make sure that the shelter will accept animals before you get there.

We've had lots and lots of wind (beautiful, beautiful wind!) and a lot of squalls. Quite a few tree limbs down in my neighborhood. Some reports of water damage/erosion damage to beach homes.

And would you all mind keeping my dad in your thoughts? He was supposed to leave the NE today to come back down to FL for the winter... and he's driving.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 27, 2012

I'm praying for everyone in her path. Stay safe!

14. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Oct 27, 2012

I'm wondering if I'll have a hurricane day this week. I took home extra work to do if that's the case. I'd say a good 97% of my school-faculty, staff, and students-rely on public transportation to get to our school. They're talking of shutting the system down.

I can think of just 5 or 6 teachers who drive in, me being one of them. I'm not sure if I'd risk the drive in, though. The parkways I take flood quite easily. My backup plan was to take the trains, but that may not be an option.

15. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 27, 2012

Everyone who is in the hurricanes path, stay safe!

I should call my mom today and tell her to have someone come and help her move all the electronics to higher ground and get the area rugs up off the floor in the basement. Then get everything else ready. My dad had surgery a week and a half ago and is not cleared to lift anything or really do anything other than work a 1/2 day sitting at his desk. My parents are in a flood zone and they were told to evacuate last year. They went to my aunt and uncles house in Massapequa Park. Though this year, they are down two people to help since my sister and brother in law moved out and moved to North Carolina. I also worry about the big gigantic tree (during any storm) that is sitting close to their house and was unstable last year... if that thing falls it's taking the upstairs with it.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2012

My town is sending out robo phone calls...told those in flood prone section that it's advisable to evacuate by 4 tomorrow. Not my side of town, but DIL's parents are.

17. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Oct 27, 2012

Are they saying it could collide with winter weather and cause snow?!?

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 27, 2012

I doubt this applies to anyone here but do know what the emergency plan is if you are 37+ weeks pregnant. Supposedly there is a rise in deliveries due to barometric pressure.

If you have any other know medical need that may come up, know your emergency plan. Make sure you have medicines filled for at least a week post the hurricane in case stuff happens.

Fill up your car.
    Get emergency cash.
    Fill up your bathtub.
    Get lots of water.
    Get your food.
    Charge all electronics.
    Do not leave anything outside.
    Make sure your first aid kit is up to date.
    Get lanterns and flashlights.
    Pack an emergency bag in case you need to evacuate.
    Line up the movies and board games.

Definitely keep your dishes, laundry and trash caught up prior to the storm and what you can during the storm.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2012

Just FYI, I have a WaterBOB which stores water in your bathtub. Pretty neat.

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2012

Me, too, in case of earthquakes, etc. It is like a big bad for your tub so when you fill it, the water is clean.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2012

Great idea!

Cleared out yard...all potted plants and empty trash cans are under porch, yard furniture and grill in garage, porch furniture lying down on porch. Lanterns and bottled water at the ready. Caught up on laundry. Took a nap.:woot:

22. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Oct 27, 2012

I also read you could fill your washing machine for water, too (for flushing, etc - I suppose you could drink it if your washing machine was rinsed well ahead of time and not soapy! ;)

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2012

FYI:

"FLUSHING A TOILET WITH NO POWER

There may be a time when water service is scheduled to be shut off to your household. In such an instance, it's recommended that you fill your tub with water beforehand so you'll have water in which to flush the toilet. During the interruption in service you can flush your toilet manually with a bucket and a gallon of water.
    Lift the toilet seat and lid and rest them back against the front of the toilet's tank. This will give you a larger opening in which to pour the water.
    Fill a bucket with 1 gallon of water from the bathtub or from a water jug.
    Dump the gallon of water into the toilet's bowl in one thrust. Pouring the water in slowly will only fill the bowl, while heaving the water in is unnecessary and will create a mess. The goal is to provide as much force as an ordinary flush.
    Repeat dumping in another gallon of water if necessary to clean the bowl of any residue. Wipe any water that has splashed onto the toilet's rim or floor with a paper towel."

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 27, 2012

The water bob sounds interesting. I like that it is cheap but I would want to use my bathtub during if I wanted to without messing with a plastic bag. I do like that it seems potentially more sanitary.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2012

I got the WaterBOB for under twenty bucks from a gun store online...I'll try to find where.

Stay safe, everyone!

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 27, 2012

Apparently this past typhoon, my neighbors in the apartment towers on both sides of me were without flushing toilets or running water. We had no hot water but our water itself was running and the toilets were flushing. I was told our water set up was different than how theirs functioned. All of us were without power.

27. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 28, 2012

My college is going to determine Sunday Afternoon whether to cancel classes on both Monday and Tuesday.

We have the flashlights and lanterns gathered with fresh batteries. Most potential projectiles have been moved. We have a lot of cut logs near the house that should be moved under the porch, though.

I'm predicting we'll have running water, because I live right next to the water company.

They have a LOT of generators.

They are rather loud.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2012

We're good to go.

I want to tidy up the house, between the time I get home from tutoring an this evening. And the girls want to bake brownies.

That's it.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2012

For anyone in Nassau County:

Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano will activate the County’s Non-Emergency Hotline beginning tomorrow, October 28, 2012 at 7:00 a.m. as Hurricane Sandy continues its path towards the Long Island area. Residents with non-life threatening emergencies should dial
    1-888-684-4274 for downed trees

Here are the Suffolk County numbers:
    Residents with non-emergency situations can use the SCPD non-emergency number, 631-852-COPS (631-852-2677) or the Suffolk County Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services line at 631-852-4900.

Print them up NOW and put them on your fridge.

30. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 28, 2012

I'd give anything for a generator! We were going to buy one after Irene last year, but it never happened. :( Oh well. We've prepped as much as we can. Now, we're just going to wait and see. My biggest fears are trees crashing into houses, flooding, and long-term power outages.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

32. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2012

On a slightly humorous note, I'm now wondering where else you would put the toilet seat and lid after you lifted them. :whistle:

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2012

I wondered the same thing :lol:.

34. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2012

Glad it wasn't just me... :)

35. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 28, 2012

we just got a call, my school is closed for 2 days

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2012

School just called...canceled for tomorrow.

37. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 28, 2012

No school tomorrow either.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2012

Tentatively closed Tuesday as well.:unsure:

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2012

Thinking of you all over there!!!
    STAY SAFE!!!!

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2012

Tuesday's got to be a shoo in. The storm is supposed to start at about 6am tomorrow, and go until about 6 pm Tuesday.

I don't see them running school busses in the middle of a hurricane.

41. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2012

We're closed Mon and Tues here.