Hurricane Katrina in the Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Amanda, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 31, 2005

First of all, our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this horrible tragedy.

Please share how you are building this into your lesson plans, or handling the topic in your classroom. I can imagine the possible applications will vary according to the grade you teach. In another thread, someone mentioned the possibility of arranging a school fundraiser for the victims of this tragedy.

Here are a few organizations that are already working in the region. Donations can be made online:

American Red Cross - www.redcross.org

Salvation Army - http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

Convoy of Hope - www.convoyofhope.org
    (This organization also has a PayPal donation option so you can donate your PayPal balance. Convoy of Hope is based in A to Z Teacher Stuff's hometown of Springfield, Missouri.)

Samaritan's Purse - www.samaritanspurse.org
    (Founded by Franklin Graham, son of Billy Graham)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2005

I will be incorporating this in some way next week (our first week back to school) as I begin my science unit on Weather. One of the curriculum expectations here in to examine how weather and weather forecasts influence decisions concerning human activity and how people adapt to a variety of weather conditions. I have been collecting some articles and pictures from our local papers as well as off the internet. I haven't gotten as far as making specific plans (that is on the list for tomorrow), but feel that it is of too much importance not to talk about.

P.s. Love the spell-check!

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 31, 2005

We watched the news very briefly. Some of my kids have family from that region and I chose to let parents make the decision as to how much of the coverage the kids saw. (Besides, it was affecting me and I didn't want to upset the kids that way.) We have watched a couple of videos on United Streaming (PBS site with downloadable clips). Weather is not part of our new 5th grade curriculum, but we tracked the storm and have talked about recovery/rescue efforts.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2005

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 31, 2005

Has anyone found any satellite pictures like with the tsunami ones... before and after shots of the land's layout of New Orleans, Gulfport, etc.?

7. Amanda

Aug 31, 2005

8. Amanda

Aug 31, 2005

9. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2005

We have sooo many people from LA in the houston area. My school district is enrolling kids in school because they have no where else to go!

10. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 31, 2005

I'm the advisor of the Student Council/Government and we're organizing a fundraiser(school-wide). I used the article from Timeforkids.com to introduce the story to the class and we're going to use video from unitedstreaming.com tomorrow. You have to be a registered member to download the clips.

11. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 31, 2005

I had been using the 2004 storms and plotting them with my students when we were struck with katrina. SO when we got back to school, monday, we plotted her on our grocery store provided tracking maps. DO your grocery stores provide them? We have different ones depending on which tv station sponsored them. They are free and I will send ANY should you want to reeimburse me for shipping. I will grocery store hop and grab class sets if you want.... The coordinates for the storms are easy to get from the internet. I however cut off alot of the extra information as we focus only on latitude and longitude lines. Not wind speed and barometric pressure.
    Let me know if you want me to send them and how many...Ruth

12. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 31, 2005

Lori,
    My husband did show me aerial pictures of after. I will ask him to do a search for me and I will link it here of the before and after pictures. I was last in New orleans in May.... mmmmm crawfish, a deadly drink called the jester, and making love all weekend. Just hearing new orleans mentioned and i get hot! WHEW

13. lucette03

lucette03 New Member

Aug 31, 2005

can we help?

We would also like to help!
    Does anyone know of a school that would like to "be adopted"? We have families here in NJ that have the desire and means to help. People have offered to host families here to get the kids in school. How can we best help?

14. Ramon546

Ramon546 Rookie

Sep 1, 2005

I teach in Northern NJ and we are trying to organize a charity softball game btw teachers from two different schools to raise money. We always play against each other but this time we would invite the community to watch and donate what they can. So far, the parents we have spoke to said that it sounds like a great idea. If anyone is in the NJ area, I will post info once I know the date and you are more than welcome to attend. We need all the donations we can get! It is truly devastating to see. I feel like it is my duty as a member of the human race to help out.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2005

lucette- I was watching the news this morning and the best way to help truly is to send money through the Red Cross or Salvation ARmy. There are companies that will match donations (Loews is one) so check in your area for stores/businesses that are organizing matching donations. They said on the news that families from NO really shouldn't travel too far to be 'hosted'- There could be a spread of hurricane related disease plus they need to be near the New Orleans area so they can get up to date news and services.

16. Ramon546

Ramon546 Rookie

Sep 1, 2005

17. Amanda

Sep 1, 2005

18. barnswallow

barnswallow Rookie

Sep 1, 2005

Reaching Out

I was talking to other teachers at my school as we're setting up classrooms this week and I was thinking about all the lost libraries. I'm trying to find a "Fernwood" school (elementary) to pair with in the region that we could package a book for from each class at our Fernwood school to give to that library. I've also thought of holding a used book sale at the school and sending the funds through the Red Cross to help. The kids are always great about reaching out to others in need.

I know that there will be teachers who need materials and support too. It is truly heartbreaking.

19. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Sep 1, 2005

Amanda,

We start on Tuesday the 6th. Our sixth grade team is planning a penny/ change drive to raise funds (we are a poor district, but have big hearts).

I am planning on having lessons in social studies about disasters and how people rise up to help others in need.

I have been so busy setting up my classroom, dealing with a newborn, and finishing up new contract issues (I am the local union president) that I haven't had time to look at the news.

The pictures I saw today broke my heart and made this big man cry. Words cannot express the devastation and despair that I saw. My heart and prayers go out to all of those affected. I just wish I could do more to help.

20. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Sep 1, 2005

I am hoping to start a school wide fundraiser to raise money for Red Cross. I have looked into selling first aid kits and fire extinguishers. They are fairly inexpensive and they are practical. Now, I just have to pitch it to my Principal.

It is so devastating to imagine how much the families are going through and all they have yet to endure. I am so thankful for my job, home, family, yet so incredibly sad to see the devastation on the faces of the people who just need their basic living needs met.

21. krand209

krand209 New Member

Sep 2, 2005

fundraiser suggeston

If you are looking for a good kid-friendly, community-building fundraiser to help with hurricane relief, I recommend a school used toy sale. We did this last year for the tsunami and it was magical. We had an organizing committee of one student from each class (k-6). They listed jobs (things like making signs, a flyer to send home, bringing muffin tins for change, sorting the change, being cashiers), then chose a job for their class. Kid brought in toys they no longer used and we set up tables in the gym. Our afterschool program did the sorting. Each table was a certain price, 5 cents to a dollar, and you paid at that table. The older classes were the cashiers. Each class had a scheduled shopping time, and we saved back toys to refresh the selection during the day. We are a city school, but the kids brought in mountains of toys and we made a couple thousand dollars.

Magical though it was, how deeply sad it feels to be meeting again so soon to consider doing another one. Our thoughts are with those of you near the Gulf Coast.

22. jamesmom

jamesmom New Member

Sep 2, 2005

my name is shanda. I have a 6 year old son who I am trying to teach at home. This is because we ran from Katrina. My home was in lakeshore (west of bay st louis) MS. I just wanted to tell everybody thank you for all the support. My sons school is probably gone. My husband and some friends ,that we have made here in Greenville AL, have went to see about our house. I am not sure the coast will ever be normal again. Not only is the coast and LA changed by the nation is changed. We are different this week than we were last week.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2005

I just called Scholastic to inquire about the new online ordering. While I was waiting for a person to answer, the message said that Scholastic has contacted the Red Cross to see how they can best help out those in need from the hurricane and that when the schools are ready, they will help re-supply classes with books! NICE!

24. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 2, 2005

tracking maps

Hey all, just made a grocery trip and although I dont need any for my class, I picked up a stack of the hurricane maps. Any body want them, let me know. I would recommend for grades 4 and up. Unless you have a very strong 3rd grade group. If you want, I can send them with a print out of the coordinates of the storms we dealt with for 2004. (we had four in SIX weeks)

25. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Sep 5, 2005

FEMA has a really cute book on-line called "Herman P.I.C. and the Hunt for a Disaster-Proof Shell". It not only talks about hurricanes, but also floods, earthquakes, and fires. The website is www.fema.gov/kids/herman/ I plan on sharing this story with my kinders.

26. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 5, 2005

Melissa AKA Missy
    I will send the maps to you as per your request. Any other teachers interested, need to let me know so I can pick up a stack for you. Ruth

27. Twiggy

Twiggy New Member

Sep 6, 2005

Katrina Unit and Grade 5 Weather

Hello Everyone!

This is my first time at this site - I just registered as a user. I have been teaching Grade 5 in Ontario for 5 years now. I usually teach LA and Math , however this year I have Social Studies and Science. The Science Curriculum is new to me but I did glance at the weather unit. I am hoping to do a study on Katrina in this unit as well. I wouldn't mind talking more to the other teacher from Ontario who is hoping to do this. Maybe we could share ideas. I don't know what to do to contact you, so I hope this works.

28. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 7, 2005

29. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Sep 8, 2005

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this discussion or in another one...but how would some of you go about talking about the hurricane with a student from LA in your class? I found out today that I will be getting a student from New Orleans. His first day is tomorrow! I'm afraid that he will be asked questions that maybe he won't want to answer, etc. My class and I haven't discussed the hurricane yet, so I'm not sure how many of them have heard about it and what they know. I was thinking that I would try to pull him aside first thing and ask him how comfortable he would be if it came up during class. (At this point I have met him and his family....but I have no idea what his previous circumstances were.) If anyone has ideas or can send me to post that has already discussed this I would really appreciate it! :thanks:

30. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2005

I had a kiddo start and we didn;t mention much. But she said something very quickly..."a hurrican hit my house but its ok" The rest of the day she was very quiet. She has been opening up very slowly this past week. If you have several of them at your school maybe your counselor could do a small group. Thats what ours is going to do. But for the most part I talked to her one on one about it but didn;t say much in front of the kids. Like you I wasn;t sure so thats what I did...maybe it was wrong. I don't know :confused:

31. Jan Jan

Jan Jan Rookie

Sep 12, 2005

Hi! My school is located 50 miles north of New Orleans. We are returning to school on Thursday, Sept.15. Our area was hit hard by hurricane force winds of over 100 mph but no flooding. Electric service is just now being restored. Thousands of evacuees are in our parish with no homes or schools to return to. Red Cross, etc. has been set up in our area. Our parish is registering new students today and tomorrow. We don't know what our enrollment will be. Due to Hurricane Katrina being a natural disaster, the state board of education rules no students can be refused. Where will we make new classrooms? How many will be in each class? How many new teachers can we hire? I am ready and willing to make this school year wonderful for each first grader in my class. If your school would like to adopt us, we would be grateful. Our school has Pre-K through second grade. Our new "friends" will need school supplies and uniforms. I will make this transition a positive experience for all.
    Jan Jan

32. dee

dee Companion

Sep 13, 2005

Jan Jan,

What parish are you in? I have four new students in my class. My sister is displaced from Plaquemines Parish. She got a job teaching in Baton Rouge. She will be teaching at Mayberry(?). I know that it is an old school that has been reopened since the hurricane.

33. Jan Jan

Jan Jan Rookie

Sep 13, 2005

I teach first grade in Tangipahoa Parish. I guess we will have our new numbers when we report tomorrow. I heard our parish hired 40 new teachers, but I don't know how they knew the number of students before yesterday and today's registration. I don't know how we can add any more classes until they send portables to us. I haven't heard if your area got any damage from Katrina. I know you are located further west than us but in a lower parish near the gulf. We are only getting a few tv channels on our satellite. It is pretty much the same info over and over again.

34. treefrog

treefrog New Member

Sep 17, 2005

I'm new here, but if you do the Book-it program, they have a special offer they are doing this fall. If you spend 15 minutes EXTRA reading aloud to your class and keep track of it then fill out the form to send to them, they will send up to 60 books (brand new) to a school in the Katrina disaster area from your school. Just get on www.bookitprogram.com and it will be listed.
    Hope this helps anyone that wants to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2005
  35. Jan Jan

Jan Jan Rookie

Sep 17, 2005

Thanks I will definitely check it out!

36. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 18, 2005

My fourth-grade students have collected money as well as read newspaper articles about the tragedies that occurred. Thank you for your recommendations.

37. Mrs. Tee

Mrs. Tee New Member

Sep 22, 2005

You can go to noaa.com and see the before and after pictures of Hurricane Katrina.

38. Stav

Stav Rookie

Oct 5, 2005