Hurricane is coming...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by swansong1, Aug 28, 2019.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2019

Good thoughts to those of us preparing for yet another hurricane. Hope all is well with you and yours through the upcoming holiday weekend.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 30, 2019

Wishing you and yours safety as this storm comes ashore. So hoping that this storm veers off and makes a much smaller swath. Be well and be safe.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2019

That is something I do not miss at all about TX. I wish everyone safety! <3

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2019

Stay safe.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 31, 2019

I saw some potentially positive news that the worst may stay off shore. I don't know what that means for other parts of the east coast though.

I wish the best for anyone impacted. Mother nature can be very disastrous.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 31, 2019

My dad had lived in Galveston. His take on hurricane's coming ashore there was that the storm was bad, but the rats and rattlesnakes that came after bothered him much more. Not sure if that is typical all across the South, but if hurricanes make it as far north as NJ, we escape those particular "after effects." Still have fingers crossed that this storm will not be as bad as predicted.

Still too early to make any calls, except for the Bahamas, but this storm will keep many people focused on hurricane reports for several days, I fear.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2019

Vickilyn, 1 year we evacuated to San Antonio because a hurricane was heading right at us. When we got to SA, all of the hotels were booked up they said by people from Galveston. Tornadoes were touching down on the highway ripping it up and someone got killed by the tornado. We had 2 kids, a cat, and dog in the car w/us and had nowhere to stay. A friend of a friend, knew someone there who took us in....It was scary!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 31, 2019

Dad showed us (as early teens) everywhere that tornadoes had hit, including one in Biloxi, that parked a ship high up in a trio of palm trees. We also got tallies of how many rattlesnakes he/others killed in the aftermath of these storms. That was shared to freak out my mom. Major storms have a way of bringing out the best in people - glad you weren't left in the rapidly disappearing street!

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2019

Wow! So you remember that 1? It was in the late to mid mid 80's, but a biggie. Oh, I'd be freaked out w/ your mom! :) Yes, I was so thankful too to have a place to sleep. It had never dawned on me that all of SA's hotels would be filled. We left too late and had close to gridlock in places. From that point on, we rode out the storms. Stocked up w/ Culligan water....

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 31, 2019

So seldom do I re visit tornadoes - moved to NJ, and what they call a tornado is absolutely nothing like I was raised with. Originally from Missouri, and I could tell you some horror stories about devastation that hit very close to home, but never lived anywhere without a basement, so my family was safe. I did see an entire subdivision that was built on slabs, no basements, after the Korean War, and I saw that entire community leveled, including the HS, with students still inside. That tornado could be heard as it jumped over our home, less than 1.25 miles from Ruskin, only to touch down and create such devastation. It is a sight I will never forget. No sirens went off, they were caught unaware, but had no place to go, even if there had been warning. When they rebuilt, every home had a basement. Guess that's something. . .

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 31, 2019

I guess even Texas isn't as big as you would think when outrunning a monster coming off of the sea.

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2019

Wow! It sounds like you went through a bad one. Were the school kids OK? I remember the sound too. My dad took me out for some reason to smell the air and feel the calm before the storm which is so real. No birds chirping or animals around. There was a definite smell too that I'll never forget. A tornado without a basement would be scary! I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and was there when Xenia had the 3 tornadoes join. Xenia had areas wiped out too after the big 1 there. I saw some big ones in Kansas too. The ones I saw in TX were not as big. WE never lived anywhere w/out a basement either in tornado country. I remember the sirens too. Those were even scary!

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2019

Very true. I loved my old school, but they did not let us off of work until it was almost too late to get out. They wanted to use us to man our classrooms as shelters. The yr I didn't, I came back to a room filled w/ dirty diapers and crayon markings all over the walls.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 31, 2019

Not all of the students survived, and the fatality rate was fairly high over-all. After the rebuild, I had an aunt who moved into that same subdivision. It was hit years later, but not as hard, with no fatalities. Yes, in Tornado Alley, basements save lives. The HS used to release the students if a tornado warning came out. Cop cars would drive with sirens on, and the kids would be running home from school. Wow, I remember that as if it was yesterday.

16. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2019

Wow! I never heard about the tornado you are talking about that had such a high fatality rate. That is awful! I remember the tornadoes like yesterday too. I think they make a big impact if you see them as kids especially. My dad never wanted to be late to functions and my mom believed in being on time. (Never a minute early...lol) 1 night they went to a dinner party early and drove around to be on time. My dad saw a tornado in the distance and told her they needed to get to the party early. She thought he was making it up in order to just get there. lol Once they did go, they found out sure enough tornados were being spotted. He never let her live that 1 down in a joking way. :)

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 31, 2019

I'm posting a link about the Ruskin tornado in the free resources thread. Fatalities were 44, injured exceeded 500. It was an F5 tornado.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 31, 2019

My parents live in the West Palm area. They have politely refused my offer of a place to shelter away from any coast. I'm worried.

19. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 31, 2019

I hope everyone in the storms path stays safe. My brother lives in N Carolina and he said some people aren't even aware there's a hurricane. I guess it's like us with the threat of bad winter storms: you're so used to it you don't panic. Of course, threaten NC with an inch of snow and everything shuts down. An inch of snow here is a minor inconvenience because you have to put a jacket on. But I suppose that's all relevant to the individual. Our first winter in Massachusetts when I was a kid it snowed 6" over night. We just knew we had a snow day, in fact my brothers and I had already planned on going sledding. No such luck.

20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 31, 2019

Aces, I saw the funniest memes on Alaska and and NY on snow. It is too much to post here, but funny! It says: Alaskans be like: Hold my coffee, we may be a couple of minutes late for work....in an enormous snow storm....and NY all in a stay home or stock up mode. :)

vickilyn likes this.
  21. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 31, 2019

Have your parents rode out other storms successfully? Sometimes people think if you survived one, the warnings for everyone that comes after means it can't be any worse than what you went through. Perhaps they are thinking it will, indeed, come inland farther north, so "why bother?" I have a healthy respect for Mother Nature, but you can't force people to see the risks through your eyes. Prayers for your parents.

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 1, 2019

Sadly, the hurricane has reached Category 5 as it hammers the Bahamas. On a "slightly" brighter note, its trajectory for the US is uncertain, meaning lots of things could happen, such as turning into cooler water. I'm sure all eyes are on this storm.

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 2, 2019

My heart goes out to the Bahama Islands. Who expects a super strong hurricane to travel at speeds of less than 5 mph, until it stops moving forward at all? It is not like any other hurricane I have ever followed. Here's hoping that this storm will take the turn north sooner, rather than later, with the chance of keeping the eye from making land-fall in the US. I know that won't diminish storm surge from the rain bands. I was glad to see the mandatory evacuations in effect. You can rebuild a house or the dunes.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2019

I agree. We are in the mandatory evacuation area and my neighbor didn't want to go...it's really just a house.

25. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 2, 2019

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law and her family just made the trip down from St. Louis to Tallahassee, on their way to Disney World, today. Then they found out about the mandatory evacuations. They all have the week off of work and were planning to spend the entire week there. No word yet on what they are planning to do instead.

26. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 2, 2019

Well, anything on the other side of the state would probably be safe for a couple of days, or so, and assuming that there is no landfall, the state will be back to normal really soon. WDW is efficiency in action, so if they have power and are spared exceedingly high winds tomorrow, they will be back to business as usual. Homosassa Florida is on the west side of the peninsula, and it is wonderful if at all interested in manatees. Leaves you in good shape to head over to WDW if things are a go by Wednesday.

bella84 likes this.
  27. Aces

Aces Habitué

Sep 3, 2019

When I was stationed in NC at Bragg, hurricane came through and there were evacs up and down the coast. Medics, MPs, and volunteers from Bragg stayed behind to help with any search and rescue operations. I stayed behind because I was a medic and command knew that there would be people in need of medical attention. There were so many people who had stayed behind to ride out the storm. I remember we were doing triage in the pouring rain. It was sad.

28. ed_ten_72

ed_ten_72 Rookie

Oct 4, 2019

So how are they?

29. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 4, 2019

Cannot speak for all, but my parents in Florida are just fine. I wish they'd take me seriously when I offer to house them in Ohio when there's a serious storm, but they're OK.

Also, :welcome::atoz_love:

bella84 and vickilyn like this.
  30. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 4, 2019

I think some of it is/was a mentality that "we've been through it before we'll ride it out" etc. I mean look at us with snow. I don't think alot of people take it seriously when they say "it's going to be record breaking snow" because that's what they say every year. It's just like "yup, sure, still gotta get to work though ".

31. funny_bunny

funny_bunny Rookie

Oct 5, 2019

With all that climate change going on it's really scary to think what happens next.

32. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 5, 2019

They are all fine. They went to Panama City Beach and then Galveston instead. It wasn't the trip they had planned, but they had a good time.