Hurricane Irene

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chebrutta, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ally06

ally06 Companion

Aug 27, 2011

We chose the wrong time to come to NYC for a holiday - got here on Wednesday and are leaving on Tuesday! We should be fine at the hostel we are staying at and have bought some supplies so we are ready for a weekend inside :)
    I hope everyone stays safe!

2. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

Wow! I just read on facebook that American Doll Store called my friend who was scheduled to go on Tuesday and cancelled their appointment- They said the governor said no tourist attractions were to be open saturday, sunday or monday due to the storm and they are rescheduling Tuesday also to play it safe!

I hope you got to do a lot between Wednesday and Today!

Stay Safe!!!!

3. ally06

ally06 Companion

Aug 27, 2011

Thanks! We have seen quite a bit and made it to one broadway show - we have tickets for 2 more shows this weekend but won't get to see them now. I am here with my sister and a friend so at least we have each others company! My sister and I will be back for a couple of days at the end of next week so at least we can 'catch up' then :)
    Oh well, at least we should be safe and dry!

4. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Aug 27, 2011

I just talked to my parents.
    They are almost ready to leave. They have unplugged everything in the house (except the fridge upstairs), moved all furniture from the basement upstairs, etc.

They also said that my grandparents aren't in an evacuation zone and they have said that they'd rather stick it out in their home than leave.

Be safe!

5. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

My school is already canceled for the first day of school on Monday! My roommate and I have been gathering our flashlights, water, etc.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

From the NOAA website:

"ENVIRONMENT CANADA HAS ISSUED A TROPICAL STORM WARNING FROM THE UNITED STATES BORDER NORTHEASTWARD TO FORT LAWRENCE INCLUDING GRAND MANAN...AND FOR THE SOUTH COAST OF NOVA SCOTIA FROM FORT LAWRENCE
    TO PORTERS LAKE."

When was the last time Nova Scotia saw a hurricane???

And Ally, this is a great opportunity to get to know the real NY, as opposed to all the touristy things you were going to see.

If you haven't already done so, get out and see what you can find. You may not be able to find a flashlight unless you get creative-- try the dollar stores, perhaps the supermarkets, maybe even the toy stores. (Sure, it will have Buzz Lightyear on it, but you can use it in Disney!) Failing that, hit the dollar store and stock up on glow sticks... they'll at least light your way to the bathroom.

After the storm passes, talk to people. You'll hear some amazing stories if you just ask. If there's a common room at the hostel, plan to weather the storm there. I bet you make some lifelong friends; sharing this type of experience tends to do that to people.

And when you get back home, I can promise that your stories of your trip to NYC will be unparalled among your friends who have been here.

It's probably safe for another few hours to be outside. But get back in before things get ugly, and stay there. They're saying awful things about the effect of 70mph winds on the windows of skyscrapers.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

One note the Major League Lacrosse ARE/IS Playing two semi final games TODAY in Annapolis MD
    the only weather Lacrosse is not played is lighting

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

ACK!!!!!

My sister, the one who lives three blocks from the BEACH has decided to ride out the storm, even though they're in a mandatory evacuation zone. They're afraid of looting.

She does have a bag packed, and she can get to my nephew's (normal weather, about a 10 minute drive.)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2011

Oh, no. Hugs, Alice.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

Isn't that disgusting that people have to be worried about looting.
    [​IMG]

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 27, 2011

Does your sister understand that 911 most likely will not be available in areas ordered evacuated?

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

I'm sorry, Alice. I know that this will be one more worry for you. We were watching coverage earlier this afternoon and wondered what would make people decide to stay. I'll have to admit that I never considered looting.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Yep. She's pretty sure that, while her basement will probably flood, she'll be OK.

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

I was just thinking about that. We would just have to get in our car and drive really, really far until finding a hotel with rooms. No shelter will allow birds, not even a tiny parakeet.

No way would we ever leave our birds. At least one of us would have to stay if no alternative could be found. They are our family.

I hope your sister stays safe, Alice. She is probably going to be better off not trying to drive if things get bad. Even a 10 minute drive could be too dangerous if roads are flooding. Remember the rule to never drive through moving water! Or standing water, for that matter.

15. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

I already mentioned in other Irene threads, but my whole family evacuated. We're chilling in an awesome house in the mountains right next to an amazing vineyard. :D

We're planning on coming home tomorrow, but I am worried about what we'll encounter. (Say a little prayer that we can make it to our place and that my car is safe!!) My BIL had to stay back (he's a firefighter), and his reports have been scary. I've also seen this guy reporting live from my city.... not cool.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

I have to say that I am cautiously optimistic about this storm. It looks like the eye is already starting to break up. Hope I am right.

17. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Another really good reason is that the sewage plants tend to get easily overwhelmed after this type of storm... you do NOT want to be in that water!!!!

Plus, it's jellyfish season!!!!

My backyard pool, should it survive the storm, is a delightful alternative. No sewage, no sharks, no riptides. (No filter if we lose power, but a little shock and some kids moving it around will get us through.)

19. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 27, 2011

My mom called her brother that is closest to us (as that aunt REFUSES to talk to my mom) and he said that the aunt that is holding a grudge is going to one of her other houses with my uncle (They own a few houses, then pay for a few family members homes)

And no evacuation was ordered for my grandmother. (And we wouldn't have been able to get to her if we tried, as Parkway South below exit 98 got shutdown last night)

(Also, that brother has now forgiven my mom, after two weeks of sulking)

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

OK, I'm glad-- as long as no one is alone in this storm.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 27, 2011

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

Maybe I spoke too soon - tornadoes all around my parents.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

If you are more north, try to get some sleep. There are so many tornado warnings in the DE area that they are suggesting someone keeps alert so a lot of people are pulling all nighters, from what I am reading on facebook. If it hasn't hit you hard yet, try to get some z's so you can be alert later if you need to be.

24. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 27, 2011

silverspoon, I hope your parents are safe. I have been watching the tornadoes that are popping up. They worry me the most. I am on the CT shore and it is just starting to get windy here, although it has been raining for quite some time. I just heard the first rumbles of thunder, too. There are some trees that could come down, but they are hopefully far enough from the house. We are a few streets in from the beach and not under evacuation orders although the roads immediately adjacent are. Because the storm is so large and slow, they are worried about the winds blowing all the water into the sound and onto our shores. Here's to hoping everyone stays safe.

25. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 27, 2011

The tornado warning scared the living crap out of me ( the loud alarm )

26. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2011

We lost electric twice so far and its not even that windy! :( and now a tornado watch!

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 27, 2011

I would be messed up living in a tornado area without being able to hear the alarms. I know years ago they tried to do pagers, etc. (if the person was willing to buy one) for deaf people. Who knows now.

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 27, 2011

Here they have alert systems through your cell phone and/or email. It's about a minute delayed from the actual sirens, but they also send messages as conditions are deteriorating, not just when tornado has actually been spotted.

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 27, 2011

Technology has definitely improved.

This thread reminds me I need to check out the storm heading our way. It was coming towards us, then not, then yes, then not. We'll see.

Edit to add: It's moving completely away from us. It looks like we won't even get the outer bands. This season we've had 4 typhoons so far. The season ends in October.

30. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 27, 2011

So far power has flickered

Multiple branches have fallen and possibly a tree has fallen in the yard

All very very close to the house

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

Two typhoons are hitting on both sides of our island. It looks like both will miss us though. We are much more prepared for this kind of weather than the area that Irene is handling but a friend had me look at www.wunderground.com and see the comparison between those two typhoons and this hurricane. The hurricane is much smaller in comparison. I'm turning into a storm tracking freak at the moment.

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2011

Well add me to the thousands without power. And my phone is almost dead.

33. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2011

Hope y'all are making out ok up north! Please check in as soon as you're able.

silver - how's the weather around you?

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

Raining cats and dogs...and elephants! Still have power for the moment.

35. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 28, 2011

I have power and all is well. Some of my neighbors do not have power or cable so it's varied. But other than some fallen branches all looks fine here.

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

It is starting to get windy. We had 2 large trees cut down 2 weeks ago. They were very close to the house. I'm so glad we spent the money and got them taken care of. I would probably end up with a hole in the roof by the end of today. The people who live up the hill from me always have problems with trees. 2 years ago during a heavy spring rain they had a tree crash down onto their roof and another crushed their car. The guy who took down our trees (a friend of my hubby's) said these same people called him on Friday asking him to take 2 of their trees down. I guess they didn't learn their lesson from the last time and waited until the last minute to get it taken care of. I hope they are ok.

37. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

Out of power from 4-7 AM.

a lot of branches and trees fell in the yard. Going out to take pictures later. One hit the living room roof, but no leaking

38. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 28, 2011

Sun just popped out but it's still raining. I put a bucket outside about 6:00 last evening and just measured the depth...8 1/2 inches. Have not lost power thankfully. Wind was quite minimal also. I'm in northern NJ.

39. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

And here's pictures of the damage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

Wow, those are some pics! We had one tree fall from the property behind our house, lucky for us it did not break our pvc fence- another 3 inches closer to the ground and it would have.

We still have power, so I am happy about that- they say 450,000 on Long Island without power!

(Oh, and the town for the school I am supposed to interview with on Tuesday morning....under 6 inches of water! Wondering if it will dry out by then!)