Hurricane Irene

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chebrutta, Aug 22, 2011.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

I am trying to remember that I don't really live in the zone anymore. We will probably get a lot of wind and rain. I am prepared if the power goes out and if we lose water.

I am more worried about my parents. They are inland Delaware, right in the middle of the peninsula. They are inland enough that they should be ok, but I am sure they will have their share of problems. But mom said she has her wine and her tequila rose and she is staying put! I am worried about my dad's crops. I am not sure what stage they are in.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

Three of my four siblings and my mom are under mandatory evacuation orders.

Steve and Eileen I had expected; they had already decided to evacuate since they're pretty close to the beach.

But Jeanne just got the call about an hour ago. According to News12:"
    The County Executive also signed an Evacuation Order and is now ordering a MANDATORY EVACUATION for all residents living south of Sunrise Highway, from the Queens line to Rockville Centre and South of Merrick Road, from Rockville Centre to the Nassau-Suffolk border.

This Evacuation Order also includes the MANDATORY EVACUATION of all residents on the north shore of Nassau County that reside in low-lying areas and storm surge zones. Low-lying are defined as 10 feet above sea-level or less.

All those residing in these areas must evacuate by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday.
    "

What cracks me up is the run on bottled water. The storm is still 24 hours away-- why aren't people bottling their own water??

I just finished mopping the kitchen floor. I know it's going to take a beating, but it just desperately needed it.

We had the kids splash a few inches of water out of the pool.

We did hit Target today for more muchies and paper plates. I figured that if we do lose water, I don't want to waste our reserves washing dishes.

We took the kids to the beach today. The surf was glorious-- lots of whitecaps-- but the beach was TINY. And this, 4 hours before high tide. I wish we could get there tomorrow, but it simply isn't happening. They're desperately trying to get people OFF the barrier islands, not onto them. Our beautiful beaches will carry reminders of Irene for qute some time to come.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 26, 2011

Didn't think of getting paper plates, that would have been smart!

But I think we're prepared - took in the patio furniture, have water and food, all valuable papers are already in a safety deposit box so that's fine, have four flashlights set with batteries, got a new lighter stick thing (you know, the long reach with a handle thing type of lighter) so that we can still use the gas range if the electricity goes out.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

MsMar, do you have cash? If the power goes, so do the ATMs and debit/credit card machines.

One of my neighbors said all the local gas stations are sold out!

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

I just talked to my cousin in Queens - EVERYTHING is sold out! She got the last few cans of Chef Boyardee, some cereal, and some almond milk. She's in Zone B... and her family is out of town, so she's riding it out alone. Unless she changes her mind tomorrow and drives over to my dad's place in PA.

Any word on the airports closing? Her mom is supposed to fly in to JFK tomorrow.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

Tell her not to ride it out alone. Have a friend or neighbor stay with her if necessary, or lock up the house and get out. But she'll have to do it soon. At some point they're going to close the tunnels and bridges-- I think late tomorrow afternoon.

I'm guessing there are flight delays all up and down the coast. But as far as I know the airport isn't closing until the storm gets much closer.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

If her mom makes the flight, she won't be alone. I don't know what carrier her mom is on; but United suspended all flights to NYC.

If she doesn't get through, I'm going to insist she go to Dad's. He's only 2 hours away and nestled in the mountains.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Aug 26, 2011

My parents are under mandatory evacuation orders as well.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

Even if she stays overnight with a neighbor, at least she won't be alone.

With 2 people, it's a hurricane party.

All alone it's got to be terrifying.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

Where are they going?

11. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Aug 26, 2011

I am praying for all you guys on the east coast. Please check in when you can so we know you are safe!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

Julia just had a meltdown. All the news has her a bit frightened. I think it was the mandatory evacuation of my mom, my brother and 2 of my sisters that sent her over the edge. I don't think it ever occurred to her that anyone WE know would be told their house wasn't safe enough to stay in.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 26, 2011

Awww, poor Julia. It helped my kids to reassure them that while me might miss our stuff, the important thing to remember was that the people are safe.

14. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Aug 26, 2011

They are going to my aunt and uncles house in Massapequa Park--
    all 7 of them (mom, dad, sister, future brother in law, dog, cat and rabbit).

Did any places in Suffolk County get a mandatory evacuation order? My grandparents are in Pt. Jefferson and when I talked to them this morning they said they were going to ride out the storm.

15. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 26, 2011

I got a text message from JFK a little while ago. All port authority airports are closing to arriving domestic and international flights at noon.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

They just announced in DE that they are closing the canal bridges at 9am. The Chesapeake Bay bridge will probably close around the same time. At that point, there really is no way out of Delaware.

17. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2011

If this was a year ago I'd be up to my butt in Hurricane
    since I was in Jacksonville NC at that time

I will kind of miss being in a Hurricane since we moved in to our house on Long Island during Hurricane Donna September 13, 1960.

Well so you Hurricane Irene people who think you have all the bad weather news today, Here in Phoenix before 9:00 AM it was 100° and today's high was 117° We have had some heat related deaths in the last few days.

But our ground is not shaking (at least today)

Stay safe all

18. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 26, 2011

I am going from Irene this weekend, to flying back to the desert of Abu Dhabi on Thursday to begin the school year, as long as the airports are back on schedule by then. Our temperature at this time of the year averages 120... I am not looking forward to it after enjoying the mostly beautiful New England weather. I am sorry to read about the heat related deaths. It is brutal.

19. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2011

The only places in SC are south of Montauk Hwy....Port Jeff should be ok!

20. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 26, 2011

Everyone please stay safe and keep us updated as you can!

For Hurricanes Katrina and Ike, we were in the evacuation route (hundreds of people came to our town and surrounding areas for refuge) and things got so incredibly crazy with everyone frantically trying to get out of the path of the hurricanes. Hopefully everyone that does have to leave their homes gets out safely before the storm gets near!

21. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2011

I don't blame her! I had a meltdown myself-reading that the hospitals were being evacuated and then my friends one by one on Facebook! It's crazy.....my brother on the other hand is ready for his bbq tomorrow.

22. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 27, 2011

The parts of my town that are within a mile of the ocean have been evacuated. (I'm 2 miles from the beach and a mile from the highway that only gets flooded once every 10 years when it is REALLY REALLY bad)

One of my aunts may have gotten evacuated, but that aunt is angry at my mom at the moment, so we don't know how she is.

Hopefully my grandmother doesn't need to get evacuated.

Because she won't be staying with us.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Chris, Port Jeff is on the water; I'm sure they would be under evacuation orders.

According to newsday.com:

"MANDATORY EVACUATIONS

Nassau

South of Sunrise Highway from the Queens line to Rockville Centre, including the barrier islands, and south of Merrick Road, from Rockville Centre to the Suffolk border, by 5 p.m. Saturday.

North Shore residents in low-lying and storm-surge areas, including portions of the Port Washington peninsula, East Island and Shore Road in Glen Cove and parts of the villages of Bayville, Oyster Bay and Oyster Bay Cove, by 5 p.m. Saturday.

Suffolk

Town of Babylon

Mandatory evacuation starting at 8 a.m. Saturday:

All residents south of Montauk Highway; all residents of barrier beaches; Frontier and Gildersleeve Trailer Parks in North Amityville

Islip: Fire Island and low-lying hamlet areas south of Montauk Highway

Brookhaven, starting 8 a.m.: Blue Point south of Montauk Highway.

Patchogue south of Main Street.

East Patchogue south of Main Street east to the intersection.

Bellport south of South Country Road.

Brookhaven hamlet south of South Country Road.

Shirley south of Golden Gate-Neighborhood Road.

Mastic Beach Village.

Moriches south of Main Street. Center Moriches south of Main Street.

Cedar Beach peninsula in Mount Sinai.

East Moriches south of East Moriches Boulevard in the Newport Beach community.

Southampton low-lying areas within a half-mile of the ocean or bay."

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Call your aunt and grandmother today and check in on them before the storm hits. If either one will be alone, talk your parents into declaring a truce and invite them over.

I don't care who is mad at who about what. I'm not even suggesting anyone make up.

But find out where they'll be and whether they need any help. You're in college--they may need your muscle to batten down the hatches or stock up on things.

Petty differences-- or major ones-- can resume on Monday when this has passed.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

OK, hurricane pros, I have another question.

Out on the patio, we have a glass topped table-- the one we replaced this year with the new patio set.

It won't fit into the garage with all the other stuff we've put in there.

I'm thinking it would be better to turn it upside down, so the glass is right agains the patio pavers.

My reasoning is that first, it would be less likely to be swept up by a strong gust of wind with the tabletop down. But even more important, should it shatter, all those tiny little glass pebbles would be more contained.

Does that make sense, or am I missing an obvious reason for leaving it alone?

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

Alice - can you fit it in the house? Anywhere? We never leave any furniture out on the porch because they can become flying missiles. Our entire living room gets taken up by porch furniture during a storm.

Also: If you have any large potted plants, move them as close to the house as possible. If it's too heavy to drag, get a skateboard and maneuver it around.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Stay safe everyone!

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

Wrap it in towels or blankets and flip it over.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Hmmm, maybe I'll rearrange stuff and put the big table in the garage, and move some of the smaller stuff into the house.

Our new patio table is simply too heavy to move.

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

If it's impossible to move inside, try to find some cardboard. Tape the cardboard to the glass top. Then flip it over onto an old bed comforter/quilt. Wrap the edges of the comforter over the bottom of the table and tape/tie together. (This is so you can slide it without damaging the glass.) Try to get it as close to the house as possible.

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 27, 2011

Agreed. You do not want it to blow into the neighbor's house. There was so much debris after... I forget which one, there were four in Florida that year, maybe Ivan... from people who didn't secure things properly.

32. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 27, 2011

We had a neighbor with one of those big glass tables. He flipped it over and it still shattered (during Ike, which was also a 2), so definitely wrapping it in heavy blankets is the way to go!

I hope all of you in the path stay safe!

33. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

Just started pouring here. And so it begins. We are starting to get the little storms on the fringes.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

OK I re-arranged some stuff, brought in 2 small tables, and got it into the garage :) The heavy tile patio table is right up next to the house.

At this point, we've done all we can.

I have a feeling that we'll see very little of the worst of this storm. I'm thinking that next week we can donate clothes to people from work who are the sizes of my family-- some of them are close to the beach and in deep trouble with the storm surge.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2011

STAY SAFE!!!!

It does seem so weird that this is going on & we have BEAUTIFUL weather here!!! CRAZY!!!

36. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

Stay safe everyone. Hopefully, the storm will weaken and not cause too much damage.

This is going to sound crazy (and I am not downplaying the seriousness of this storm AT ALL) - but have fun too! I've lived on the Gulf Coast my whole life, and as you all know hurricanes are just par for the course down here. All of our family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents) would come stay at our house because they lived closer to the water. Except for during Katrina - we all got the heck out of dodge! LOL. Anyway, some of our best family memories are of being stuck in the house with nothing to do. You have no choice but to bond haha. If you have children, make it fun for them to keep their minds off of what's going on. We played lots of board/card games, ate lots of food, and made fun of the weathermen on TV. All of the kids would make forts out of all of the extra blankets, pillows, and air mattresses that everyone had brought. Might as well have some fun during the storm, since afterwards is not so fun having to clean up!

Again, I hope everyone is prepared and stays safe!! We are praying for everyone in the path of the storm.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Got up this morning, had breakfast and we all cleared the yard...heavy potted plants against house, hanging plants and furniture in garage, garbage cans under back steps.
    Dh is going to run his Saturday errands to the dry cleaners and to store o get ice if there is any and some milk and soda. Then we're settling in for a move festival, bananagrams, and family Wii night.:)
    Stay safe, all!

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

I'm not sure we can count on the Wii.

In fact, if we don't lose power I think the kids will be incredibly disappointed.

I would be OK if we managed to hold on to the roof, but for us this should be nothing more serious than an adventure. For my sisters and brothers, not so much.

But we'll cross that bridge after the storm. For now, it's almost "hunker down" time.

39. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 27, 2011

Same here! Of course it's scary, and you have to be prepared, but we lived 80 miles inland, so we never got the super scary dangerous stuff. I'm lucky that we don't live in an area prone to flooding, too, although several of my neighbors do.

But as Ms99 said, I remember those days being locked up together playing games, gathering around the radio... There is a sense of comfort and community in it that we don't always get anymore.

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 27, 2011

It sounds like everyone here is being extremely practical. Excellent. I still remember Hurricane Floyd and how I was an idiot and almost lost my car driving in it outside of Allentown (my car was the last one allowed through a stretch of road before it was shut down). Two of my parents' neighbors drowned in their own basement. It sounds much more mentally prepared now.