Hurricane Gustav Checkin, please!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Aug 31, 2008.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 31, 2008

Dear All,

I do not reside in south Louisiana. In fact, I'm just about as far away from Gustav that you can get and still be in Louisiana, and so is my daughter (thank God!). The last time we heard from him (a couple of days ago), my (not so) little brother was on a barge in the canal right about where Gustav is supposed to hit. Please pray for him.

With that thought in mind, I figured it would be a huge relief to some of us, if those of us who live in the general area that might be affected by Gustav (Brownsville, Texas eastward to Pensacola, Florida, basically) would check in so that everyone could see that we are okay.

I'm here, and I'm okay. Your turn

3. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 31, 2008

That is a great idea. I'm no where near, but definately worried about everyone! Isn't Pwhatley around NO?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2008

pwhatley IS 1stgradeNana. :D

I hope that everyone is okay. I know that ChristyF said that she was not in any danger, but that they were getting evacuees coming in. chemteach has already evacuated?

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

Just an FYI there was already a thread in teacher time out on this exact subject matter.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 31, 2008

I'm in central Louisiana. We are expecting tropical storm winds with gusts of hurricane strength. Our biggest threat is rain. Our area has a lot of evacuees, and from what I can tell, everything is going really well for them so far. Now it's just a waiting game. There's still plenty of time for Gustav to turn, slow, etc. Several of my friends down south didn't leave. I'm torn between being worried about them, and being furious with them.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 31, 2008

Yes, I am pwhatley, but don't tell anyone, lol. Sorry, I didn't know about the other thread - I started this one in General because not everyone goes to Teacher Time Out.

Our forecast is for rain, rain, and more rain, with possible tornadoes thrown in, depending upon the path Gustav decides to take. At this point, the Red Cross has opened 7 shelters in our area, and they are all full. All motel rooms are occupied, and every possible camper hook-up is, too. They are now telling people to continue going north to Arkansas or west into east Texas. I just saw on the news, however, where motels in several east Texas cities were all full, too.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 1, 2008

Well, central Florida on the Gulf Coast is looking fine at the moment, but we were told we might get some rainstorms from Gustav.

I will certainly keep all of you in mind, especially those who suffered three years ago with Katrina.

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

it's ok. It just makes it easier if its in one thread!

10. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

They can come to Alabama.

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

I live quite far from the gulf (In NM) and sadly we benefit from the fringes of the storms once they fall apart, we depend on the rain. I am glad for the drop in temperature, but am more scared than I've ever been watching news of a hurricane. I will pray for all those in the path of the hurricane to be safe, and for they families to be safe. 1stgradeNana your brother is in my prayers. Some of my family lives in Athens, Alabama and they have had to board up for hurricanes before, I don't know if they had to this time.
    Hatima

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 1, 2008

I'm in SE Arkansas and we were coming home yesterday and there was a convoy of cars pulled over on the side of the interstate. Some of the people were out of their cars talking. I know that they were evacuating (cars were stuffed to the hilt)and trying to decide where to go next. All the hotels here are full.

My heart really breaks for the evacuees.

13. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 1, 2008

My family...all in baton rouge...decided to stay despite trees falling in on them (possibility)

My family in new orleans went to Mississippi...but they are on the coast as well. Katrina turned their house into a concrete slab. They rebuilt in Delisle. They were in Pass Christian/bay St. louis/waveland area.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 1, 2008

Thus far, Gustav has not been too bad (for a hurricane). No where near as bad as Katrina. I am doing my best not to get upset about my brother, as I probably won't hear from him until everything is over with, which could be a while yet. Your families are also in my prayers.

15. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Sep 1, 2008

Hurricane

I live in Vernon Parish. I am close to Alexandria, La. We are in for major wind and heavy rains shortly. It is suppose to hit us around 6:00. It has rained already for about 3 hours. PLEASE pray for our state, parish and my family. I will keep everyone posted.:(

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2008

We did not evacuate but made it through just fine. This is the worst hurricane that I have been through. There is no way in or out of my subdivision because both sides are blocked by fallen trees. We have been without electricity since early this morning. We have a generator and I think that my husband finally got tired of listening to our 3 teenagers whine and connected the router to the generator so we now have internet!! The entire parish is without electricity. We had 4 trees fall on our property. One took out my husband's boat but thank God other a mess, everyone seems to be ok.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2008

Glad to hear that yall are okay! I send my condolences to your hubby in the loss of his boat. ;) :D

18. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 1, 2008

I'm in East Texas... we're far enough north we should just get some wind/rain but we've been getting evacuees since Saturday. We took in 2500 after Katrina, but aren't expecting as many this time. My university is an hour north and we've taken in 200 special needs evacuees there. I wish I had the time to volunteer, but my son is sick and I'm stretched too thin right now.

Stay safe, southerners!

19. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2008

Sorry to hear about the trees and the boat chemteach55..:(:(.. Sounds like school might be delayed quite awhile..

When I lived in Houston many years ago I had a beach house on Galveston Island. This wonderful weekend getaway place was wiped out by a hurricane......

Take care....

Major........:):):)

20. basswife

basswife Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

I live just NE of Athens and there are no hurricane related problems with the weather. Your family should be in the clear. There are evacuees in North Alabama's community colleges due to an agreement between AL and LA.

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 2, 2008

Gustav changed his mind on his path (just like a man!). We got a lot of wind, and are still getting rain. We are out of power (generator) and the phone is hit or miss. I don't know about my house or school. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's all ok. We weren't expecting quite this much here, so it took us by suprise. Gustav did come in much slower than expected, or weaker I should say. That's a good thing. The news was full of sad stories, though. One family in Georgia evacuating from south Louisiana had a wreck (driver fell asleep) and one was killed. Another was helping a neighbor trim trees before the storm hit and was killed. It's so sad to hear about those. There are thousands without power right now, and all need prayers. We are fortunate to have the generator, so many others don't.

22. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Sep 2, 2008

We made it through with barely a scratch. We had heavy wind and rain, but nothing like they predicted. We are very thankful. We only lost power for about 10 min. Now we are watching for the next one.:eek:hmy:

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 2, 2008

I'm glad to know that everyone is okay. My cousin went down to New Orleans for the Labor Day weekend, and was headed home Sunday afternoon. They made it safely out, but he should have known better. Not only was he going down when there was a huurricane, but that adds to more traffic going out. I'm in the same boat as those that are glad their relatives are safe, but a little mad at them.

We're in NWArkansas, and starting to get rain already. It's expected to get 12 or more inches of rain tomorrow.

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 2, 2008

We have gotten steady, but not generally hard, rain. The temperature has been wonderful, though, because the rain kept it down in the 70s! Normally, these would be the last of the "dog days" of summer, lol. We lost power overnight & just got it back a little while ago. Ironically, 2 days ago (when we expected nothing), I told my dh we need to invest in a generator! Maybe next time he'll heed my warning, lol!

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 2, 2008

Thanks everybody for checking in. While I don't know any of you in real life, when a major event happens, I worry about all of you.

26. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2008

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW---Now that that is out, I can finish my post. My hubby just found ou that it could be 2 weeks before we get our power back!! We have a generator that literally eats gas. It eats $50 worth of gas every 8-12 hours. I am definately spoiled by air conditioner.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 2, 2008

Chemteach...I went MONTHS without a/c after andrew, and two weeks after wilma. It's tough, but you can make it...I promise. You have to get creative in order to reduce your power consumption.

Are you running the a/c off the generator? If so, and you can find some way to purchase a dehumidifier, do it. Just pulling the humidity down can make the same temperature feel several degrees colder.

Get chummy with your grill. After Andrew ripped through here, and before we got power back, I was able to make cakes and brownies and cookies on my grill, in addition to preparing full meals. If you're cooking outside, not only are you not using the power for your stove, but you keep the inside of your house a little cooler.

Learn to love baby powder. Sprinkle it all over you and your sheets. It will help keep you feeling cooler, especially at night (it will also help with the bo problems that inevitably accompany a city without power).

If you get tired of cold showers, use your grill to boil 5 or so gallons of water. Mix it in the tub with the cold water from the tap. If you don't make it too deep, you'll get a slightly less than warm bath, which is MUCH nicer than a cold shower.

If you still have window dressings, keep them tightly shut during the daylight hours. Enough light will get through so you can see what you're doing, but a fair amount of radiant heat will be blocked.

Turn off non-essential power grubbing appliances. Do you really need the hot water heater running all the time? That extra fridge? All of the gaming systems/tvs/dvd players? Unplug what you're not physically using. Even a dvd player plugged in, not on, but on standby is consuming power.

Declare "power free" times. If you don't open your fridge, things will stay cool for an hour or two. Turn off the generator for an hour once or twice a day (you have to service it anyway...just take your time doing so).

28. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 2, 2008

Great tips, mmswm! If you have a gas water heater - you can still take warm baths/showers, and if you have a gas stove, you can still cook. Of course, I have an all-electric house and no generator, so I'm sunk whenever we lose power!

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 2, 2008

My dad upgraded his generator after Wilma. Now he's got a diesel generator, hardwired into the house, that kicks on after an hour w/o power. It runs EVERYTHING, and he's got a 5000sq ft house. If I loose power, I'm moving in with him :D

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 2, 2008

Oh, I forgot one other thing...if you do have to take cold showers, take them just after the hottest part of the day, and be really quick. The water from just the pipes can get quite warm if it's been allowed to sit in the pipes and warm up all day.

31. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2008

Well I checked in on the other thread, but here is what is going on with me. We are still in Dallas with my stepson after being here since Saturday. We are now ready to get home to check things out. One of my husband's coworkers made it home and checked out our house for us. We had a storm door that came off and another storm door that the glass cracked. There are some areas in our town that have electricity, so we are hoping that when we get home tomorrow our electricity is on. My p called yesterday and said that we won't have school until September 10 which is a week from today. I am gladd because we sort of moved things around in our classrooms away from the windows and now we have to get our classrooms back in order and then start from scratch with our students. After being out of school for 10 days, they will have to revisit our rules and procedures.

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 3, 2008

I'm thankful that you & yours are okay, and that your stuff seems to have fared well. I understand what you mean about school. We're going back to school tomorrow. After having been off three days, I'm not planning on attempting anything new with my babies. We'll go back to reviewing & practicing procedures, and start our lesson plans anew on Monday. My grade-level chair seems to agree with me, so I'm on the right track, anyway! God bless and keep you!

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 3, 2008

We are out of school until Monday. A big chunk of my area still doesn't have power (my school doesn't). We also got some water damage. I'm headed up there tomorrow to check things out and take care of my critters. My house is without power and water, so I'll be at my parents for a day or two. (I'm SO grateful for them, but it's time to go home! :D) They have a generator and small (110) window units, so we can run 2 at a time with the generator as well as fans and lights. The freezer and fridge also keep going. It's about 7 gallons a day so it's not bad. I hope everyone going without power gets it back soon and they stay safe and dry. We are keeping our eyes on the Atlantic, I think Florida and the east coast are going to have a wild few weeks. You are in my prayers!!

34. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Sep 3, 2008

I live in Erath which is a very small town that is close to the coast of Louisiana. My husband and I evacuated on Saturday, a few days after my birthday :(, and still have not gone home yet. We have no electricity, water, or sewer. We only evacuated to Lafayette which is about 16 miles from Erath but it was better than being on the coast and we had no choice of whether or not to evacuate since there was a mandatory evacuation order in our parish. We got strong winds here during the hurricane as the eye passed right over us. I've been through many hurricanes and was born in the peak of hurricane season so my birthday being ruined by a hurricane is not new to me. We still haven't done anything for my birthday but hope to be able to go home on Friday and do something this weekend. We did have a lot of flooding, a lot of tree damage and lots of power lost. But, stores are finally opening and things are gradually getting back to normal. We haven't had school all week so I have no clue as to how our school faired in the storm. Anyway, this was long but I'm bored with nothing to do! lol