Hurricane Frances

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Upsadaisy, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2004

Okay, guys, the latest forecast has the hurricane hitting the coast .... right where I live. I am 7 miles inland but it doesn't matter because the thing is so big. I am going out now to fight the crowds for batteries and then will be making my 'safe place', ie, closet, safe and comfortable. These roofs were not made for 145/hour winds. Keep us Floridians in your prayers, please!! We may be out of touch for a few days or more. It's also possible that we will be marvelously spared. I'm hoping for that.

3. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Sep 2, 2004

I'm just about 30 miles south of you, Upsadaisy, but I'm 1 1/2 blocks from the beach. We haven't had a mandatory evacuation yet, but I'm expecting it. My apartment building is sturdy, but I'm still nervous. I'm heading out as well to get last minute stuff.

The next update will be at 11 am.

Like Upsdaisy said, everyone please keep us all in your prayers.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 2, 2004

I have done all the downstairs yesterday. Today, we prepared the backyard toys/furniture and brought them inside. The top windows we got FOUR done and have ELEVEN to do. We are going to pay 150 to have them done for us. I have my sister in aventura who is going to evac to us. I just cant believe that you are going to head out for supplies NOW! The gas stations were empty yesterday by five and this morning at seven thirty, the line was half a mile BACK up. I sent my husband out for crystal light for me to drink. while i put the shutters up I just dont feel that the water is replenishing by itself so he has his gatorade, and i my fruity water! I asked my hubby if we were able to spare me for an hour, that i would take the kids with me to my school to prepare my classroom. He said, if they expected you to do so, they would have called you and HECK no, are you going to leave and be on the roads now. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL out, its almost UNBELIEVABLE that this beauty is going to be turned to BLACKNESS soon. We arent in panic mode at all, but instead this HORRIBLE feelings of DOOM, waiting for the worst to happen... I have laundry going now because what ever is dirty I will wash and then just fold it and pack into a suitcase in the event that we will need to have access for a few days. I am going to use an airmattress in the safe room which already has a futon in it. Gotta go take more photos, stay safe.

5. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Sep 2, 2004

Got just about everything I need now. Lotsa water, soda, board games, flashlights, candles, food, books, and rum!! :eek: I figure if I'm gonna weather this, then I'm gonna try to relax. We also gassed up and got money out of the bank. I'm also doin' laundry and trying to just get the house in order. We have a ton of people that will be staying with us, unless we have to evacuate.

I am still waiting for my landlord to come over and board up the window. My ENTIRE back wall to my FL room is window.

I'm not paniced, but it is really starting to hit me....

6. L. Dial

L. Dial Guest

Sep 2, 2004

we are praying for you guys!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2004

Well, I was looking for D batteries, everything else was pretty well set. I got 4 of them at school today. My shutters go up in 5 minutes per window - they stay on and just have to be pulled shut. I have enough canned food to last a month. Am doing laundry and stuff. Thanks for reminding me to get out the inflatable mattress!

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 2, 2004

Upsadaisy, do you have the accordian ones? I think they are so worth it. After we deal with getting these down, I will discuss it with my hubby. I dont want the electric roll down kind, just the manual accordian ones. I am just cooling off from the bath. I sat and soaked in water that was unbelievably burning hot but knew that was the only thing that would help to take off the two days of sweaty grime on me and to relax my soreness or stiffness. I am WIPED out. My hubby is asleep in our bedroom just exhausted. I think I will try and get some sleep now because if the power goes out, I cant sleep well without my 'cpap- apnea' machine.

Dont forget to FILL the bathtubs with water. If needed you can use it to fill the tank of the toilet so you can flush. (in the event that water lines are broken) Also, its good for cleaning self and pots/pans should water be unavailable. BIG FAT candles are great. I remember during hurricane andrew that we were all so scared from the noise that we kept the flashlights on and slowly as the batteries wore, they dimmed! Another must is a grill. If you have a habachi and coals or a gas grill if power should be out, at least you can feast on the defrosting meats in the freezer! One last thought, I have GOT TO GET DRESSED, the safe rooms that have no windows are usually the bathrooms that have that light switch and exhaust fan. The exhaust fan is on the roof of the house and makes the most god awful noise as the wind whips in it. Still means your safe, but hellaciously noisy. I am really scared= where i live is west of adams grandmother, north of angela, and south west of sandi. East of I95 has evacuations right? I live half a mile from I75 and about one mile from I27 we are pretty much as far in land as you can go!

9. PUERTO RICO

PUERTO RICO Guest

Sep 2, 2004

We Wish You The Best

FROM THE ISLAND OF PUERTO RICO AND WISHING YOU THE BEST AND THAT GOD BLESS FLORIDA AND ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING THERE. TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU AND YOU'RE FAMILY AND I KNOW YOU WILL SURVIVE THE BAD WEATHER,BYE AND TELL ME HOW IT WENT. MY NAME IS JOSE AND MY E-MAIL IS: ERNES240@HOTMAIL.COM. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOU'RE FAMILY..

10. feliciapate

feliciapate Rookie

Sep 2, 2004

Say a prayer for my husband, please. He's been put on alert for storm duty after the hurricane comes through. He's an insurance adjuster and we live in Louisiana. Since we have two kids who ADORE him (a 3 1/2 year old son and a 14 week old daughter), not to mention the fact that I miss him SO much whenhe's gone, I'm not looking forward to his being gone. He doesn't completely hate going because he loves that he's helping people, but it will be a rough few weeks without him!!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2004

Yes, ruth, these are the accordian shutters. We used to have the other kind and I remember how difficult it was. These came with the condo. The only thing I wish I had now was something for the garage door. I have a front door downstairs but then all rooms are upstairs so I don't have to worry about water. How about you and water? Inland is good, but doesn't mean you're safe from rising water. I'm home all alone, though, and hope my kids get home this evening. Kinda scary and lonely thinking about this. You get your rest now while you can. Yes, my closet is quite large. It adjoins my bathroom. I will fill the tub but it tends to drain out. The only tub I have, too. The pool is only 30 feet away, tho. Can you believe that a local Washington Mutual ran out of cash today? Really.

We forget that there are so many others that are affected by a storm. Thank God for all the workers who will be sent to the rescue in one way or another.

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2004

You are in my prayers.....

13. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Sep 2, 2004

I didn't know to fill the tub...will make sure to do that tomorrow afternoon. We DID fill about 20 gallons with water, in addition to the 4 cases of drinking water that we bought. (Thank goodness I had saved the gallons to make an igloo!!)

The storm surge shouldn't be bad, they say, so I'm not as concerned about flood waters as I was before.

The mandatory evacuation is east of A1A and I'm a block West of A1A, so we're stayin' put, for now.

My hallway is my safe room. It's all I've got with no windows. The landlord STILL did not board up windows. We will tape them tomorrow if he doesnt' do anything. At least it should help a bit.

Am I forgetting anything?

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2004

Just don't let that tape stay on the windows too long - the glue melts onto the glass and it's a pain to get off.

15. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Sep 2, 2004

Hope everyone stays safe. My boyfriend got home late from the base, only to hear me say "You'd better your father, they just evacuated Vero Beach." So he's panicked on the phone, but hopefully the fact that no one's answering means they followed the evacuation.

Stay safe everyone, we're thinking of you!

16. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 2, 2004

the only reason for taping the window is to keep the shards from flying into the house. i dont know that its really effective! We used to do that in the 70 and 80's. Many homes are left with that glue residue from the sun baking the glue on and after peeling it off you are left with the glue X!

Not kidding, Kitty litter makes great sandbags and also sanitary pads around the window sill if wind should blow the rain in. Its also great for sliding doors, where the track would fill with water! I suppose you could put tampons in the track and that would work well!

ONE BLOCK WEST OF AIA is NOT a safe place to be. storm surges are expected to be 13-18 feet not to mention the waves. Sandi, I hope you are safe there. Consider going to a shelter if the landlord doesnt come to board up.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2004

I have been watching and praying for you all done there!!!! I hope your safe rooms do what they are suppose to!!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL & THOSE WHO HELP YOU!!

18. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Sep 2, 2004

Are the storm surges supposed to be that high? I had heard that they weren't expecting them to be bad, considering what they could be with the severity of the storm. As we learn more about the where it will hit, we will continue to evaluate our position. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will use them all and keep ya updated!

19. Canada

Canada Guest

Sep 2, 2004

Wishing you all safe journeys you are in our thoughts and prayers

20. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Sep 3, 2004

As I watch the news on TV I've been thinking of you all. I hope you will all be safe. It must be terrifing to have to wait for the storm to hit. You are in my prayers, God Bless. Let us know how you are after the storm as soon as you can.
    Dawn

21. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 3, 2004

Sandi, the evacuation is anyone east of US1,Biscayne Blvd, federal highway. Whatever its called by you. (WHERE ARE YOU?)You are definitely east of US one if you are only one block west of AIA. Broward is now talking about lowland evacs. Did the landlord show up to protect HIS property?the news showed that 84 Lumber is still with wood supplies after a shipment that came in at 5am today. If you see the line of people waiting its a good feeling to know that they are going to be prepared.

We are done. I have my two lawn ornaments to bring in and we are DONE. My husband said that he will video tape for two hours the entire house and its contents because the digital photos are not detailed enough. I think the digitals look fine as a 'before' photo! When he video tapes, he said he is going to zoom in on the fine art and valuables, or collections and antiques.

I walked my neighborhood this morning and showed my son the flowers on trees now as a 'before' storm and we will walk once this is over as an 'after'. For us now, its a waiting anxiously day. They said frances slowed down to a category 3 and she is slower to move which means she is building strength to be up again to a category 4 and although she was supposed to have hit us this morning, its not expected until TONIGHT. The news is BEGGING every one to use this time to prepare if not yet.

22. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Sep 3, 2004

Ruth, I am at the end of Commercial Blvd....one block back from A1A, east of the intercoastal. Ya know Arubas restaurant? I'm right near it.

A lot of people have evacuated. We are still waiting to see how it goes. I am mostly concerned with the surge, but everyone in my building seems to think with our position we'll be fine. I think we might be underestimating, so I am watching it closely and I still may go to a shelter later today depending on the updated reports. Honestly, though, I feel like I'd rather be here to help keep the water out and do damage control, rather than leave and wonder what is happening.

The landlord STILL didn't come or contact us to protect HIS property. I can't get over it!!! I have packed away all valuables and breakables. We are moving in a month anyway, so I just started packing early.

It's still SO beautiful out. This is all very surreal.

23. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 3, 2004

You are soooooo not supposed to sit this out being near AIA and worse, is the intercostal. Sandi, I lived in miami beach my entire life and the reason we had evacuations were with the considerations of scientists and the land experts. DONT stay please, even if this, god willing, isnt as powerful or curves differently. You are going to keep the water out? Protecting lives is primary and your posessions are secondary.
    OHHHHH sandi, I really hope you reconsider- you ARE in an evac zone.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2004

I'm thinking of all of you- Iwent through Hurricane Hugo in Charleston SC in 1990. I lived on the Navy Base there and they never told us to evacuate but a friend down the street persuaded me to go north with her. When we returned I was glad I had gone- trees down, many houses flooded, builings gone, boats lifted up with the tide and deposited in middle of streets far from the waters' edge!! We were able to stock up on batteries, water and groceries while we were away so we could go back prepared for the lack of electricity and drinking water when we got back to Charleston. They say this storm is bigger than Andrew was- evacuate if you can, things can be replaced- you can't be!!

25. Gail

Gail Guest

Sep 3, 2004

Elementary School Teacher

We will be praying for you here in Oakland, NJ.

26. lexie8

lexie8 Rookie

Sep 3, 2004

I'm so hoping that you all are okay. I had heard that the storm had been downgraded to a category 2. Is that true? I'll be praying for you all. Please let us know that you're all right when you can.
    God Bless you and your families!

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 4, 2004

Yes, thank you so much. We still have power. The eye is just off the coast of my area now. The bands of rain and wind are coming in but it isn't awful. I hope we keep power for a long time, though. It will be miserable when or if it goes.

28. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 4, 2004

Brian norcross just said that the latest plane info from the storm may upgrade the storm to a category 3! Did you see the Dade shelters emptying, what a mistake that will prove later.

29. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Sep 5, 2004

Please keep us updated so we know you're all okay.
    Praying for you.

30. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 5, 2004

I heard from Sandi earlier... She's been without power for quite a while now. Not fun!

31. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 5, 2004

hey, almost five am and I am anxious to hear/watch the update info. I am NOT normally up this early. Still have power, havent lost any yet. I have spent the night in my bedroom and not the safe room because the storm is NOT category 3 winds. This thing is not going to fast, another indoors day for sunday...

32. Margo

Margo Devotee

Sep 5, 2004

We are doing good so far. We still have power. I also didn't sleep in my closet but I was up everytime there was a huge gust of wind. Got a couple hours sleep, I guess. We still have a long day ahead of us before this thing blows out of here. Real gusty now but so far sustained winds are staying pretty low.

33. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 5, 2004

Next step is clean up. Also, the email my hubby got from home owner association says all shutters must be down before 7 days of storm end. (Ivan is named as hurricane already so I dont know if the shutters WILL come down or not!)

34. dawa

dawa Guest

Sep 5, 2004

2nd Grade Teacher

I hope all goes well for those in Florida. My class is looking for a community service project and would like to donate supplies or books to the schools hardest hit by the hurricanes. If you know of a teacher/ school in need, please post. Thanks!

35. kdailly55

kdailly55 Guest

Sep 5, 2004

Hi to all in Florida, particularly those in the danger zone. I attend a Christian church in Queensland, Australia, and we have been praying for ALL who are in Florida, for all of your safety and well being. At bedtime my wife and 9 children all prayed for you, when we rise in the morning we will pray again and then listen to the news updates. Please be encouraged, if GOD brings you to it, HE will bring you through it.
    Kindest Regards, and all of GOD'S Blessings.....

36. mommeeof3

mommeeof3 New Member

Sep 5, 2004

Just wanted to check on all of you on the east coast of Florida, hope all is well. I am on the west coast and the wind has been pretty crazy here for the past couple of hours. We were without electric for a week after Charley. We still have it now so, I am counting my blessings! Ivan also has me pretty scared. Three major hurricanes in one month is just to much. My house has gone through just fine, but, many of the kids in my class and many of my friends have lost their houses or had significant damage after Charley. Hope to hear from you fellow hurricane survivors soon!!

Chris

37. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Sep 8, 2004

I'm in Lakeland, which is the upper west corner of Polk County. I survived okay, with the exception of my awning falling down over my front door. I 'm just thankful to have limited damage. Many people in Polk are still without power. Many have also have trees that have fallen, doing damage to houses. This is our first day back to school--all my kids are here today:) My class is in a portable--thankfully everything is fine at school, too! Ivan stay away!!!

38. scrpbskt

scrpbskt Rookie

Sep 8, 2004

We Made It!!!!

I live about 40 miles east of Ft. Pierce and we still experienced 100 mile and hour winds here. I am grateful, though, because it could have been so so much worse! This storm decreased from a 4 to a category 2!!! We have a lot of damage here and I know there is some serious damage on the Treasure Coast and other areas. I am still praying for all involved as well as those affected by Hurricane Charley. I am praying that Ivan does not come this way! I have also concluded that I do NOT EVER want to stay here for another one!!! That was the scariest night of my life! God's blessings on you all!!!

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2004

Glad to hear limited damage was created for most by Frances. Ivan is sounding scary!!!I hope he doesn't make it!!!

40. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 8, 2004

Ivan just needs to keep his butt further down south... give FLorida a break!!! I'm heading to Arcadia this weekend (Fri-Sun) to deliver those clothes I was going to try to get down there this past weekend. He just better stay away from Florida! You guys really need a break!! A LONG ONE!!!

Lori

41. scrpbskt

scrpbskt Rookie

Sep 8, 2004

Thank you, guys! Lori-- Have a safe trip to Arcadia. I hear things are REALLY a mess there! I live 60 miles to the west of Arcadia and we had very little of Charley. I agree completely about Ivan....I hope he wanders elsewhere!!! Things still aren't back to normal here from Frances and Charley! We will have missed 8 days total this school year because of hurricanes! I am a native Floridian and that is the most days we have ever missed for hurricanes in one school year!!!