Hurray I passed

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by anut, Mar 5, 2007.

1. anut

anut Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Just read my email about the CBEST unofficial scores. TeacherGroupie, I was waiting for my writing scores before I let you know that I passed.....I was most scared about that one. I have to say I scraped by on writing and got 60 and 65 in reading and Math (not very proud of these scores) Was hoping to do better. But I guess it's ok, I studied for 10 days or so. And I remember reading that the exact scores don't matter....as long as one gets passing marks. Please tell me that that is correct !! If that is true then I do not want to retake the test to improve my wring scores. Fidoprincess, that's an amazing score in reading !!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 6, 2007

Congratulations, anut! Have some chocolate, or a margarita, or something else that contributes to mental health, please.

Nobody really cares about specific CBEST scores, anut, as long as you pass. 60 and 65 are fine scores - lots of test takers would be thrilled with those, and I'm guessing that whatever you got for the essay section would tickle a lot of other people too.

4. anut

anut Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

Thanks

Thanks, Teachergroupie. I have already contacted the County Office for thier application packet. Is that the right way to go ? What next ? There seem to be a lot of fees attached to the application process.... registration, finger printing etc .....etc. I hope it's a one time thing :)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 6, 2007

That's a question you're better off putting to someone else, to be honest.

6. fidoprincess

fidoprincess Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

anut, The fees amount to about 2 days of sub pay so really it is a small investment. Congrats to you! I am thrilled that you passed. Worse than the cbest in my opinion, is the tb test!! Oh, I hate shots or needles of any kind!

7. fidoprincess

fidoprincess Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

Oops, forgot to say double check your school district, our application and forms are online to print out. Do you know you also need your transcripts from college. I waited until I knew I passed the test on Monday and then ordered those online too. They already came today! It seems like waiting on the cbest took longer than anything else. Good Luck to you and hope to see you over on the sub boards.

8. new yorker

new yorker Rookie

Mar 9, 2007

Hello everyone, was just hoping that someone who has taken and successfully passed the math CSET exam can tell me exactly how helpful the practice exams provided on the website were? I am currently in the process of studying for the exam this coming may, and am beginning to understand the key concepts required to answer the questions on the sample exams, Is it safe to assume that if i master all questions in the sample exam -i will pass? How similar are the practice exams in comparison to the actuals?
    If they were not so helpful, any suggestions for good math books or other sources to get my hands on before this exam? I have some background in math, but it is not strong. Has anyone else been in the same boat as I and manage to pass sucessfully? PLEASE, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2007

This is DEFINITELY the wrong place to post, new yorker: Basic Skills exams are tests like CBEST and PPST, and whatever New York uses these days to make sure that aspiring teachers can read, write, and compute.

By the way, duplicate posts are discouraged on A to Z, on the practical ground that it's easier for everyone to keep track of the discussion if it's in one place rather than several. Once you're logged on, you can use the All Posts button near the top right of the page to see every post that's been posted since the last time you were logged on.