Hurrah!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teach4joy, Aug 24, 2010.

1. teach4joy

teach4joy Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

Just wanted to share some GREAT NEWS!!! So the school I work at has a NEW PRINCIPAL, and it has been very hard letting go of our old principal since he did such a great job, but this new principal is making a really good impression (with most of us). Anyways here comes the good news...

I'M GETTING A BATHROOM INSTALLED IN MY CLASS!!!!

This year I have 13 students in my SH 1-3rd grade class and my room is very small with no bathrooms and all but 2 kids in diapers or potty training. I have to walk across the school to get to the closest bathroom and it takes about an hour each time we go to transition to the restroom, recess, and back to class (we go 3 times a day). The new principal asked me a few days before school started how I felt with having such a high caseload and I told her my biggest concern was the bath-rooming issue. 3 days after school starts the superintendent of building admin comes into my classroom looks at my closet, leaves and then sends an e-mail to my principal saying it has been approved. IM STILL IN SHOCK, now people are measuring my closet (soon to be restroom) and drawing out plans. I NEVER thought it was possible, for 10yrs that classroom has always been a mod/sev special ed class and every teacher has ALWAYS mentioned something about bathrooms... and now I am ACTUALLY getting one!!!!

Sorry I know its not the greatest thing... but it is going to make my life and the students life so much easier and provide so much more instructional time!!!! Just thought I'd share!!!!:D

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

Not the greatest thing? That sounds like a dream come true! (and I'm not even in special ed!)

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 25, 2010

This is awesome! Hopefully the bathroom will be big enough for your needs. I have a super tiny bathroom in my room (so tiny that an adult has trouble closing the door once in the bathroom), I think it was made for preschool/K. I will have a child in a diaper this year and we were trying to figure out where we are going to change her, because there is no way it can happen in our bathroom. So I can definitely relate. This is fantastic news!

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 25, 2010

That is awesome!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 25, 2010

That is great news! I know we couldn't live without our classroom bathroom.

7. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 25, 2010

Can you change the student changing up?

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 25, 2010

YAY!!!

I had one last year in my room, but it was too high for my kids... they needed a stool. I changed buildings this year and not only do I have one that's low enough, it's PROPORTIONED CORRECTLY so my kids aren't hvaing to perch for fear of falling in :)

9. teach4joy

teach4joy Rookie

Sep 2, 2010

Thanks guys! I am soo excited =) Its going to be pretty small but at least I dont have to go clear across campus any more =)

10. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 2, 2010

Woo hoo! Very exciting :). I love having a bathroom right in our room.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 2, 2010

teach4joy, can I get away with joking gently that you're "flushed with elation"?

Great news for you!