Huntington/Sylvan Interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 15, 2011

Has anyone interviewed with Huntington or Sylvan before? Since there aren't any teaching opportunities right now, thought I'd apply. Is it like a teacher interview? What types of questions are asked?

3. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jul 15, 2011

Hey Emmy,

I've interviewed with Hungtington before. The questions were more about how do I motivate students and how comfortable am I with working with groups of children (at the same time, who may be working on different things). There wasn't anything on behavior since that's not an issue with learning centers. I did get an offer for the job, but with the hours they were going to give me, I'd only be making about 100 dollars a week, if that. It wasn't worth it for me, so I declined!

4. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 15, 2011

Thanks! I figure its something extra other than subbing. And at this point I'm desperate for anything. Also I need to build up some more references so i thought a learning center might be a good idea.

5. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 15, 2011

I worked for Sylvan for about 2 weeks until the center closed haha...

Sylvan asked me to do a 5 minute demo lesson, asked me what I thought the most important personality traits for a teacher were, asked me about working with multiple levels in one group.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 15, 2011

I got hired by Huntington as a teacher but turned into the Education Director within a few weeks. I ended up working for them for a few years. Later down the road, I interviewed for Sylvan and became Lead Teacher and ended up working there for several years as well.

Unfortunately, there is one owner that I will never work for again (the one from Sylvan that I worked for). But yes, it is mainly a part time position. They want to know if you are available immediately after school until closing time AND Saturdays. The more available you are, the more hours you can get. They also want to know if you can multi task in groups of 3-4 and if you are comfortable teaching Reading, Writing, Study Skills, Math and even SAT/ACT prep.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 15, 2011

I worked for HLC for about 3 months and HATED it. The pay was horrendous and half the time the students didn't show up, so I'd get there, wait around & be told to leave without getting paid for it.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 15, 2011

Must have had a bad staff. As Education Director I was responsible for scheduling, recruiting, testing and attendance. Students were charged if they did not give sufficient notice because our teachers would still be paid because clearly not their fault.

Back in 2000 I was paid $11/hr for Education Director working full time. That was pretty good back then.

As a lead teacher at Sylvan I was paid $10/hour for full time pay and that was back in 2004.

9. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jul 16, 2011

For those unemployed or looking for $$$, try tutor.com. They pay decent $ and you can choose your hours, work from home, and get bonuses. When I worked for them years and years ago, I was making almost $1000/month. That depends on how much you work though and it is part time. Good way to supplement your income or if you are going to work for Sylvan part time, it would be another part time job.

10. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

I was getting $10 an hour last year in 2010 as a tutor at Huntington.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2011

I would expect to answer some behavior management questions (mostly about keeping a small group working), questions about multitasking and making sure that you balance the instruction for one student with practice for the other students you are also working with. Lots of situational type questions.

Keep in mind that all of these Learning Centers are independently owned, so questions, wages, etc vary by center.