Hunting your ancestory

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by smalltowngal, Jul 28, 2011.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2011

I've begun to research my ancestors. Most of the work has already been done by others in my family and they have gotten back to 1802. I have a name, date of birth, and place of birth but no parents names. I can't go any further back w/o those. Is there any way I can find out the names of the parents? I'm afraid I'm going to have to call and pay to get the record. :( Once I get this I can hook 1802 to 1622. Found out my ancestors came to America in 1620 on a sister ship to the Mayflower. I found my family's coat of arms and found out we came down with William the Conqueror in 1066. Very exciting stuff!!

So is anyone else as interested in this as I am and have started researching their family?

3. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jul 28, 2011

Right now I have about 14,000 people on my family tree stretching back to the 1000's. One of my good friends from college is the genealogy QUEEN. We used Ancestory.com, another website that I can't remember the name of, though I think it has something to do with the Mormon church, and then Google. Also, if you can find where they are buried, and the head stones are still readable, you can find a TON of info on those.

As for the names of the parents that's difficult. Census records that far back only have the head of the household and tally marks for the number of people living there. Church records might be able to help you out, especially German, but if they came over on a sister ship to the Mayflower chances are they aren't German. Actually, I'm pretty sure my mom's family came over on a sister ship to the Mayflower too. I don't think I have the information for that anymore though. :(

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2011

I just tried to do some today! I can't find the information I want. Everywhere I've gone they want a credit card, just for a 7 day trial membership. I don't want to do that (I'll forget). I wasn't even digging deep. . .just on my Dad! I couldn't find a copy of his birth certificate. But, on one site I saw a picture of both my Grandmother's & Grandfather's grave!

5. TeachingHistory

Jul 28, 2011

It is really hard to find what you are looking for. Those ancestry.com commercials that say you don't need to know what you are looking for lie. That being said, that site is WONDERFUL for finding info once you figure out how to navigate the census and immigration records. I've found draft cards as far back as my great great grandfather. That being said, the subscription is about $300 a year I think. I never paid for it, I just used my friends account. Birth certificates you won't find, you'll have to get it from the courthouse, I think. Also, most genealogical information, especially the kind that is VERY identifiable (like census records and SS information) is not available for the past 70-80 years. Last I checked you only had access to the census from 1930, though I think the 1940 one should be released publicly soon if it hasn't already.

6. smalltowngal

Jul 28, 2011

TeachingHistory~that's great!! I wish I had a friend that was good at this stuff. I can only do my dad's side of the family because I don't know my mom's real dad's name. I guess I could see what it says on her birth certificate. The ship that my ancestors came over on was called Supply. And I have info that's on the grave stone.

kpa~see, that's me. I don't want to have to pay anything to search. And those 7 day trials get me too because I forget! :lol:

7. TeachingHistory

Jul 28, 2011

If you have the birth certificate that would be wonderful.

Also, kpa, check obituaries. You can either go through newspaper archives or just Google names and years. Try several different years if you are not sure of exact years. You can get who is in the family, where they are buried, jobs, hobbies, nicknames, where they lived, friends, even how many times they were married and who they were married to.

8. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

I used ancestry.com for awhile using different credit cards for the free trial. By looking up census records I found lots of names. It's hard though, because out of my 8 great-grandparents, 6 are from other countries. That means I only have the families of 2 great-grandparents to search for. Since I have a very rare last name I was able to find lots of newspaper articles.
    My advice: Don't believe what you read on ancestry or one of those free sites (I mean other peoples' trees). People connect a name to a document and assume it's the same person when often it's not. When I got far back enough in my tree I looked into details, I saw some people list a mother's birth date as AFTER their children's. When you look at some of the people born in the 1700s on there, you see they have 20 kids sometimes. That didn't happen even back then! I would only trust information you can verify with census records, church records, and death records.
    I love genealogy. An article I read by a genealogist said the majority of European-Americans can trace their family at some point to colonial America. I think this is amazing.

9. smalltowngal

Jul 28, 2011

What I've found is that are so many branches of the name that it's hard to trace directly.

10. TeachingHistory

Jul 28, 2011

:yeahthat:

Also about the 20 kids ... Sometimes there was a man who had twenty kids, but was married 4 or 5 times because the woman would pass away during child birth or something. Unless the person recording the information can find the 4 wives (which sometimes you can't) it gives the illusion that one couple had a ridiculous amount of children.

Also what makes it fun, I found out my aunt and uncle are 4th cousins twice removed.....

11. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

It's called Family Search and the website address is here:
    https://www.familysearch.org/

Good luck with your search.

12. TeachingHistory

Jul 28, 2011

Yes that's it! you have a lot more to weed through than ancestry though. But it still works!

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2011

On Mom's side I'll agree with that.

On my Dad's side, no. I know that on one side his grandparents came to the U.S. and on the other side his great-grandparents came to the U.S. So mid to late 1800s. Just can't remember if it's paternal or maternal.

I know that his maternal side has been researched, but I don't know about his paternal side. I reallly don't know much about that side of the family as his Dad died when he was little.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2011

I wish I could... we have one side of the family researched back to the 1800s in Italy. The rest of the family... well, their names were changed/spelled wrong at Ellis Island (I did find records of my grandfather coming through). And since they're Eastern European, I suspect the records from the old country would be hard to come by after all of the wars.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 28, 2011

My ancestors are from Ireland. Most of Ireland's records were lost in a fire, so it is hard to piece it together.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 28, 2011

Family Echo is a cool (free) site that won't offer you records, but it does help you keep track of what you already have gathered. We have one log in for my family, and as we find information, we add it to the site.

17. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

I wish I could access foreign records, but I'd have to speak German!
    Through old Oakland Tribune records on ancestry.com I found out my great-great-grandfather came to San Francisco from Germany in the 1860s. Later on, after his first wife had died, he ran off with his daughter's Portuguese housekeeper (at age 79...she was 30!). They then had a baby!
    I loved seeing the headlines, "Family Shocked as W**** H********** Disappears With Housekeeper"

Another tip I have for ancestry.com users: If you can't find someone, change the information you have entered in the search.
    Sometimes I would enter a lot of correct information in a search box and it wouldn't find someone. Then I'd take away the spouse's name but keep the date, or even change the date by a year, and suddenly I'd find the person. Sometimes, if you last name is long or easily misspelled, try other spellings. Census records were often entered incorrectly.

18. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

I've traced my genealogy back to "the old country" (Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, and Poland maybe?). I know all of my ancestors emigrated here between 1900 and 1920 during that huge boom in immigration to America. I would like to do some more research soon to find some concrete records but I'm with chebrutta. It won't be easy to find much in the old country.

19. smalltowngal

Jul 29, 2011

chebrutta~my hubs is Italian on his mom's side so he wants to start trying to trace his ancestory too. We're out of luck on his dad's side however because we're pretty sure Indians didn't keep records!

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

:lol: I don't think they did, either.

On the flip side, we did discover cousins still in Italy (one sibling remained behind when everyone else came to America). Several members of my family have gone over & met them - pretty neat :)

Also: hijack! how was Europe?

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2011

Would they have some kind of records at the reservation? Just a thought.

22. smalltowngal

Jul 29, 2011

kpa~maybe...but we wouldn't know what reservation to even try first.

chebrutta~it was AWESOME!!!!! We had so much fun! We're already talking about going back to England in 2 years and doing an Egyptian tour after that!

23. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

Ooooh... Egypt. Would love to go there :)

Ok, stopping hijack and going grocery shopping.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

I am not sure if every state has one, but Oklahoma has a history center. They have all those websites available for free.

They also have a link with some of it...
    http://www.okhistory.org/research/index.html

We spent the day there yesterday. I worked on my grandfather's side of the family. I have my husband's grandfather's side back to the ship that they came from Europe on (I found the manifest) My mother's side is next.

25. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Don't forget the Dawes report...I located my great grandparents on it.

26. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 29, 2011

I love geneology! We (meaning mostly my maternal grandmother & great grandmother) have it traced back to 1620 England. The family came over in 1620 to Roxbury Massachusetts.

There are very few records for my dad's side, as he is from the mountains of Kentucky and so much of their information is oral, and there's not many left who know it. My mom tried to research some but ran into the same issues with limited access and unwilling to pay.

Some of our really interesting finds: we're related to John Adams & John Quincy Adams; Rutherford B Hayes; Jack London; Jesse & Frank James; and Mary, Queen of Scots. One of my great(s) grandfathers rode with Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys.

27. smalltowngal

Jul 29, 2011

karebear~that's awesome!!