Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Mar 23, 2012.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2012

I really never go to the movies...and I've seriously never ever counted down to opening night of a movie....BUT dh and I went to Hunger Games tonight. It was REALLY good...I'm not sure how much one gets out of it without reading the books...but it was really good...the audience cheered twice during the movie...can't wait until part two!

Anyone else see it?

3. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 23, 2012

We're seeing it tomorrow! I'm super excited because I read the books. DH isn't as thrilled as he didn't read them. I hope he still enjoys it though!

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2012

I'm going in 2.5 hours!

5. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Mar 24, 2012

I went tonight (it opened last night). I learned my lesson, though. As much as I enjoyed the movie, the chatty teenagers took away from the experience. Next time I really want to see a movie, I will wait until it's been out for a week to avoid the noisy crowds.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 24, 2012

I went to the midnight premiere with about 1000 other people! The theater had 17 screens, including 2 IMAX all running it and all sold out! It was fun to be with so many others who loved it, and there wasn't a single "chatty" teen in the crowd. :).

Overall, I liked the movie. It was good. Not great. Still worth seeing, of course. I thought the acting and story were fantastic, but I wasn't impressed with the overall production quality. It felt almost like an "indie" film, and I was looking for something more polished, like the HP films. I know it didn't have the budget for that, though. I was also surprised at the lack of music! There were some scenes that were nearly silent... Again, a bit indie.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012

Oooh, I wanted to go last night, but then I thought about how many kids would be at the theater... I hated crowded theaters. I think I'll go next weekend.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 24, 2012

We're going today or tomorrow, to an early showing. Teenagers are still asleep then, especially since it's spring break here.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2012

Absolutely NOT a movie I plan to see, or a book I plan to read.

That sort of violence wakes me up in the middle of the night.

I have enough real demons to fight; I don't need fictional ones.

But I hope you guys all enjoy the show!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2012

I'm going sometime next week with a few teachers from school. We're trying to organize a special screening for our grade 7 and 8 students at the local theatre (a 15 minute walk from school).

11. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Mar 24, 2012

I am with you, Alice! I know there is more to the story than that but I just don't like the idea of teenagers having to fight to the death. :(

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2012

I went to the midnight premiere with my hoosband and two friends. I was really surprised that our theatre wasn't sold out. :eek: Our theatre is the best theatre in town (and always wins the Best in the City awards), but lots of people don't seem to know about it. Frankly, that's okay with me, because it means I get the best seats in the biggest digital theatre in town. :)

I give the movie a solid B+ or A-. I think they did a great job transitioning from book to movie, and I was happy with most of the casting. I thought that some of the effects weren't as good as I wanted them to be, which was unfortunate because some of those effects were meant to be very important parts of the story. Oh well. Overall, I still enjoyed it.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2012

I'm going to see the movie next Friday when my daughter will not be with me.

14. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Mar 24, 2012

I am SO looking forward to seeing this! I read the first book over March Break -- twice, I enjoyed it so much.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 24, 2012

I plan to go see it in a little over a week during Spring Break. I want the crowds to die down a bit so we're planning the earliest matinee showing one day during the break. My 12 year old son will join my hubby and I. We'll have to make other plans for my 10 year old daughter.

16. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 24, 2012

We went to the movie today. I loved it.

17. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Mar 24, 2012

I went to the midnight showing and thought it was superb. It wasn't as violent as I thought it was going to be though, and any time someone ran through the forest it made me really dizzy.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 25, 2012

Dh gave me movie tickets as an incentive to finish our taxes. They are done and submitted and we're going tomorrow!! I usually don't miss midnight premieres, but baby has me asleep by 8:30 most nights now. Matinee it is!

19. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 25, 2012

Saw it tonight and loved it. Just nitpicking a bit:
    • I agree that the lack of music in some scenes was awkward
    • They really toned down Effie, who happens to be one of my favorite characters!
    • They cut a few lines that I loved, such as "It's going to be a big big big day!" and "She has no idea the effect she can have."
    • The mutts are supposed to be likenesses of the dead tributes

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 25, 2012

I went with my boys to the matinee' show yesterday. My two oldest (15 and 13) have read all three books. The youngest (9) hasn't read them, but loves going to any movie. My oldest got to see the movie at a special showing for his Civics class Friday morning, but enjoyed the movie so much, he wanted to see it again. My middle one decided to stay home because he was busy doing something else when it was time for the show, so I took the oldest and youngest.

I haven't read the books, but really enjoyed the movie - enough so that I'm now considering reading the series. I didn't like the idea of teens fighting to the death when I saw the first previews, but after my boys read the books and I saw the movie myself, I understand the symbolism and layers of meaning within the story....and the story certainly seems to connect with the teens it targets.

Parts of the plot were predictable, but the overall story was still good.

21. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 25, 2012

I'm with the naysayers. (No surprise there, I reckon.)

The premise is offensive. It sound exciting, I suppose, but I'm not that into excitement. De gustibus non est disputandum. Enjoy.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

I think that the Hunger Games trilogy is very much along the lines of 1984 and Brave New World. Sometimes an important message needs to be packaged in an unpretty way. I don't find the story offensive. I think it's about finding a way to survive and give hope to those you love, even when you're put in a no-win situation.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

The premise really isn't 'fight to the death'...it's about political oppression, media manipulation, what one might do to survive...

24. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 25, 2012

Those were some of the points I took from it too.

25. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 25, 2012

I loved the movie! I thought it was great and true to the tone of the books. A few gripes- I didn't think they played up the "star-crossed lovers" part enough. Or the fact that the districts were literally dying from starvation. Overall, I think it was very good.

My audience gave a sad "Awwww" every time it showed Gale, which was pretty funny.

26. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 25, 2012

BTW, Stanley Tucci was HILARIOUS!!! I loved how they made the Capitol so weird and avant garde (sp??)

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

He was phenomenal! During one of his scenes, my hoosband and I looked at each other and said, "He's perfect!" at the same time. I think his role was cast the best.

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

Y'all are making me so excited to see it Friday!! From the previews that I've seen, Stanley Tucci is perfect in his role!

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2012

I have to re-read the book before I can go (I read it last summer), and it kind of snuck up on me!

30. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Mar 25, 2012

I enjoyed the movie, but I agree it could have been closer to the book. I felt while they touched on all the important elements, they rushed through every part. I was waiting for the line "She has not idea the effect she has" too. I also felt the suffering and oppresion of the districts was downplayed. The story is a classic dystopia. It probably reminds me most of The Handmaid's Tale or 1984 as someone else mentioned. I wish they could have taken more time with the cave scenes. In the book it was several days, yet in the movie it seemed like one day. I also hate that they changed the way Katniss gets the pin. I liked the idea that it was given to her by the major's daughter much better. I think it helped to show the sense of community within the districts. Even with all that I will say I almost never go see a movie, but I will definitely see the other two.

31. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 25, 2012

One of my favorite scenes in the book is when Katniss and Peeta get the basket of food in the cave. Because of starvation, they can only eat small spoonfulls of food at a time. For some reason, the scenes where they describe food and hunger were the ones I remember the most.

32. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 25, 2012

One of the people I saw it with giggled uncontrollably every time he came on screen. The blue eyebrows, the big teeth, the obnoxious excitement for the games... It was perfect!

What did you think of Cinna? To me, they only touched on a small part of his character, but overall I was ok with it.

33. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 25, 2012

OK. So I read a lot of reviews over at Amazon. I was particularly struck by one reviewer who, after saying that she normally reads only Glamour and Us Weekly, avowed that Hunger Games is the best book she's ever read, quite possibly the best ever written.

On the other hand (in a way), those who disliked it seemed pretty sure that the author is an avatar of Satan: a bit extreme, given that she is actually a TV writer from Connecticut, the nutmeg state for goodness' sake, in which Satan has not been seen since the days of Nathaniel Hawthorne. This argues (in a way) for the book.

I don't know what to think. A lot of my students have read it and say they liked it (then nod a while, whatever that means). Maybe I will read it, but I think I'll hold off comparing Collins to Orwell, a writer honored with his own eponymous adjective after all, for a generation or so.

34. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 25, 2012

I enjoyed the movie, but I wished they had showed more of the star crossed lovers part, because that was a big part of the first book and the relationship theydevelopduring the games is a big part of the next two books

35. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Mar 26, 2012

I thought the movie was fantastic. It wasn't 100% faithful to the book, but it was close enough to not be distracting. I thought the casting was spot on. I agree with the others on Stanley Tucci's role. I thought Woody Harrelson was a good Haymitch, but he wasn't quite as large or slovenly as I had expected.

36. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

I loved the movie! I loved that you saw part of the story from different perspectives, rather than just Katniss. Like seeing how Haymitch got her sponsors, and how the games were organized.

37. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2012

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I find this rather dismaying.

Apparently, some people are upset because the actors playing characters named Rue and Thresh are black.

The kicker: Rue is described in the book as having "dark brown skin".

38. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 27, 2012

I'm still seething about how disgusting people are being about this. I'm not going to lie, when I was reading the books, I pictured Rue as white. I completely missed the part where it says she has "dark brown skin". But when I saw the movie, and saw Rue was black, I didn't even bat an eyelid. I thought Rue was the most adorable thing in the entire movie and I cried buckets when she died.

39. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 27, 2012

Wow! That is terrible. I thought she was the cutest little girl!

40. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Mar 27, 2012

I really want to see this movie. I don't read the books, but I've heard so many great things about them. I'm having a hard time finding someone who wants to see it with me, and I refuse to go by myself. Too lonely!

41. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Mar 27, 2012

I thought that the movie was great. It wasn't 100% faithful to the book, but I thought that overall it was pretty accurate. It did kinda rush through everything, but the movie was already kinda long, I don't know how you would go through everything without making the movie 5 hours.

And that is so sad about Rue. In my head I did picture her as white, and was a little surprised when she came on screen, but she was adorable and a great actress. I can't believe that people would say such mean things... So ridiculous!