Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChristyF, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 17, 2012

I've started the first book, only 14% in (according to the Kindle). I don't want to know the ending, but I HAVE to know....does this book tell the ending of the Hunger Games that Katniss is part of? I know there are other books in the series. I'm assuming they are of other Hunger Games. When I'm still awake at 2 am reading, I think I'll send my principal a text thanking her for telling me about this book! :mad::lol:

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 17, 2012

The 1st book will tell you how that Hunger Game ends. But, it leaves you wanting to read the next book in the series. I read them back to back this summer. I loved it.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 17, 2012

Thanks! I think! lol That's the beauty of the Kindle. I can get the others right away. Hmm....maybe I just won't go to sleep tonight. I'll just read all night! :D

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 17, 2012

I borrowed mine. I got the 1st one, then the 2nd one and finally the last one.

I love my Kindle!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 17, 2012

Oh, you're going to LOVE them! I won't say anything else, although I'm dying to.

7. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Feb 18, 2012

I started reading the Hunger Games one Saturday morning. I ended up not moving all day. Went out immediately on Sunday and bought Catching Fire and ended up staying up all night to finish it. Lucky for me it was in the summer.

Then, I had to wait for the third book to be released. It was torture!

8. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Feb 18, 2012

I finished the three books in three days. I read them with a friend and we both plan on rereading them before the movie comes out so we can adequately yell at the movie when things aren't right. :)

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 18, 2012

Last night didn't go as planned. Apparently I was more tired than I thought because I fell asleep way too early. First thing I did this morning was grab the Kindle and start reading. I have to leave in just over an hour and a half, so I'm going to eat, shower, and dress quickly, set the timer, and read! :D (I did a bad thing, though, while waiting for an answer on what book 1 covered, I went to Amazon to see what they said about book 2. TOTALLY gives away the ending. So mad at myself. Still, have to find out how it happens.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 18, 2012

I hate when that happens! I forgot about that, I think I did the same thing. In order to get the whole story you need to read all three books. . . .

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 18, 2012

I am about 20% into The Hunger Games. I don't know what to think of the book. It is intriguing, and I plan on finishing it. However, I can't get into it enough to put the rest of my life on hold just yet. I want to finish this book before the movie comes out (that's why I am reading it) but I don't know if I'll read the others yet.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 18, 2012

I stopped on Chapter 6 ... haven't given up on it, yet, but def didn't get hooked like others. :(

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 18, 2012

I finished it today. I very much enjoyed it but I didn't read it in a day or two like others. I was fine with a chapter or two per day. I plan to order books 2 and 3 with my next Scholastic order. I'm passing the book on to my 12 year old son who I'm guessing will enjoy it as well.

Anyone know if the movie is just based on book 1?

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2012

Love this series!!!! And can't wait for the movie to come out!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2012

There was discussion last summer that Lionsgate will actually make FOUR :confused: movies based on the book trilogy. The release date for the second movie has been announced already...November 2013.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 18, 2012

As much as I loved the books, I don't know if it is a movie that I want to see.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 18, 2012

82% in. I've already cried and sniffled through several parts. Even knowing the ending, I'm tensed and waiting to see what happens!

18. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 18, 2012

I just finished the third book last weekend. Totally loved them! Without giving too much away, I'll say that it didn't end the way I expected it to, or the way I wanted it to, but Collins definitely took the reader on a unique journey. Post when you finish!

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 18, 2012

I loved the first two, hated the third. It reminds me of the City of Ember series-love the first two, hate the third. I feel the third was a rather lazy conclusion.

I would like to see a prequel though. Answer some questions.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2012

I didn't love the ending either, yet it wasn't enough to make me NOT love the series. :)

A prequel would be awesome!

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2012

It was better than I thought, and it did remind me a lot of the City of Ember series. It wraps up the story, but leaves it "open" enough for follow-up. I liked the first book. The second was good enough. Didn't make it through the third one. I'll probably see the movie since I have some friends who are really into the book.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 18, 2012

I actually really liked the ending. Not what I was expecting, but I like it when an author takes control of his or her own story and ends it the way they want to.

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 19, 2012

I read the first one so I could talk to my daughter about it, but just not my sort of book. I may read two and three over the summer when I have lots of extra time.

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 20, 2012

90% through book 2 (all read today) and I feel like I know where it's going and I don't want to go there. I'll have it finished in a hour, though. :(

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 20, 2012

Book three is downloading as I type. NOTHING went the way I thought it would. Now I'm frustrated and off to read.

26. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 20, 2012

My feelings exactly! I can't get over the number of people who take it as a personal insult when a writer goes someplace that person doesn't think the writer should go. I think the internet media gives people a chance to vent, but I couldn't beleive the level of anger people had over the endings of LOST and Harry Potter. My philosophy is that the author is telling ME a story...not the other way around.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2012

When I say ending I mean the last page or two...just the way it was wrapped up. Pretty much just because I wanted it to keep going. :)

28. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 20, 2012

For those who think a prequel would be good...when do you think it could take place? Way back where the Hunger Games began with the revolution or with Haymich's games? Or somewhere else entirely?

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2012

Yes, yes...when the revolution started! Why, how, what...that would be awesome.

30. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Feb 20, 2012

I'm not going to lie, I read the entire series this weekend. I LOVED IT!!!!! I keep feeling like I'm not done though. I feel like it wasn't wrapped up the way I wanted... but I guess it was also the way it had to be. It's definitely not a smiling, skipping through the meadow singing ending...

31. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Feb 20, 2012

I loved the books! And I am excited for the movie. A prequel is an interesting idea... that could make for a really interesting read!

32. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Feb 20, 2012

I would vote for a series of prequels. One would have to cover Haymitch's games. One to cover the lead-up to and the revolution. A few that cover the various other games referenced in book I. Can you tell I wish I had more books in this series to read?

33. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 20, 2012

I want a prequel to go all the way back to Panem's beginnings. Have you seen the picture someone made of where all of the districts lie? Interesting. It was floating around pinterest. I think I'm in district 5.

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2012

I saw a map several months ago (probably the "original") which placed me in twelve (sadly, that excited me...haha!), but there have been others that tell a different story and claim to be more accurate. Hmmm...

35. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 20, 2012

After a little searching, there are actually a lot of different maps. Sometimes I'm in 9, sometimes in 2, sometimes 8. At least not the Capitol!

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 20, 2012

My state is in district 4, but my part is under water! lol

37. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 21, 2012

I thought I'd make it through book 3 tonight, but I can't do it. 62% in. I'll finish it tomorrow.

38. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 21, 2012

I loved all the books, and I'm lucky enough to get to teach the first one to our freshmen! The kids in our book club are reading the other two.

I thought the ending was fabulous and was a truth that was consistent with the rest of the story.

39. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 21, 2012

Just finished book 3. I'm.....sad, lost...I am glad it ended with at least the hope of something good, but in the back of my head, even as I sniffled my way through (with an actual sob here and there) I kept thinking....this is a young person's book. The emotions, the violence, the heartbreak, it just all seems too intense for someone young to read. I feel like I just lost some wonderful friends.
    Of course now that I'm finished I can actually spend my last day off getting something productive done.

40. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2012

I agree about the intensity of it (almost wrote 'intenseness'--I'm too tired for only Tuesday!). I was SO emotionally drained after reading it. But, that is also one of the things that made them so good. Such strong character development!

41. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Feb 23, 2012

I feel the exact same way! I get little pangs every now and then especially when I look at the little one that let me borrow her book to start out with. It's WAY intense for young adults (and my 5th graders love them)... I just don't think they fully comprehend it, their innocent minds aren't ready to grasp the intensity of it.