HUMOR in the classroom

Discussion in 'High School' started by gr8_life, Sep 6, 2009.

1. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Sep 6, 2009

What do you do to make your class fun for students?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I just don't mind being silly with them. I love pandas, so I'll find the most obscure things to use as a panda reference. And when I want their attention, I do this "panda cry" kind of thing. It cracks them up. I'll also bust out with a Jonas Brothers song just as quick as you can snap your fingers.

Sometimes the lessons can't be as fun as we'd like, so that's when your natural sense of humor gets you through it.

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Sep 6, 2009

Act like a looney but still getting the info across.. I make jokes, use different words to mean the same things..roll my eyes..say things in weird voices...

5. ambyhendy

ambyhendy New Member

Dec 2, 2009

I definately use humor that the students can relate to (not as crude though!) Also, teaching a foreign language allows for all kinds of fun and creative activities. We have "Market" days where we practice barganing for objects from our unit. We do lots of skits and dramatic conversation readings. I tell them stories about crazy things and mistakes I made during my travels abroad that they think are hillarious. I created a "whodunnit" mystery about people robbing the school (practicing verbs and clothes and physical descriptions).

When we practice grammar structure and writing sentences, I have them use their knowledge to do non-traditional excercises - We create a menu as a class with each student contributing their original creation - name and description - and vote on most disgusting, interesting, weird, etc.

My classes get an assortment of things to do that are fun

6. bookwormada

bookwormada Rookie

Feb 16, 2010

I like to make funny comparisons between what we are studying in the class and current popular culture. This links material that may seem foreign to stories that the students can relate to, or at least be slightly more engaged by. This can be especially effective with literature that is already highly referenced. Studying Poe's The Raven? Show the students The Simpson's episode that parodies it. Hamlet? Show them the Monty Python episode called Hamlet. These famous works are constantly copied, parodied, and referenced, you just have to find them and make the link for the students.