humming student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luv2teach415, Oct 24, 2014.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 24, 2014

I have a student in my class that hums ALL the time. The humming is so loud and distracting that it not only distracts the other kids in my class but it also distracts me. His mom is asking me for suggestions to curb the humming. She said that the humming actually helps him to focus (which I haven't noticed it helping him focus but maybe his mom sees something that I don't see), but she also understands that it can be very distracting. I'm not sure what to tell her. I can't really think of anything that could take the place of humming to help him focus. Any ideas?

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 24, 2014

Until the student actually becomes aware she is doing it, nothing much will help it. I've found that some kids with ADD will hum when they work. It just happens and is soothing to them - and annoying to everyone around them.

For classwork, having a different location for the child to move to may help.

For mom, it might just be a signal or alerting the child to the humming until the child starts to notice it or the unintentional habit is broken. Maybe chewing gum will be enough to have the child thoughtlessly active.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

Does the student realize they are humming when you ask them to stop humming?

5. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 25, 2014

I could move the student, but my room isn't that large so wherever he moves to, he will be heard. If I ask him to stop humming, he does stop. But then sometimes he starts humming again right away so my guess is that he's not always aware of his humming.

I can tell mom about the gum idea but that can't happen on school. It's against the school rules to chew gum.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 25, 2014

Can you do a simple tap on the shoulder? I've worked with older students who tend to not want to wear their glasses. I point to my glasses and their glasses tend to go back on.

7. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 25, 2014

I can try that. I would just have to teach him what that tap means.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 25, 2014

During silent work, maybe the student could wear headphones and listen to white noise. Have you ever tried playing music while the class was working?

9. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Oct 25, 2014

I haven't tried music, but I can absolutely do that too. Classical music? Or something else?

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 25, 2014

If I were you, I would try to go for personal music rather than whole class music. I know there is some research out there that talks about the benefits of music in the background (as there is research out there for just about everything), but I would hate to have 1 student in the class have learning distracted because the choice was to play music in the background for all to hear.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 25, 2014

I used music in the background frequently - all different kinds, but nothing fast. Some classical that worked well was Four Seasons, Pathetique. Also, easy jazz like George Winston's piano music (I love Winter Into Spring). When I monitored morning study hall, I used Kenny Loggins and James Taylor and the kids enjoyed it. I never had a student who was distracted by it and most loved it.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 25, 2014

Never? Or you never noticed someone feeling distracted by the music?