Humidity, Yuck!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, Jul 23, 2010.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

It's almost 11:00pm and, with the humidity, it feels like 38C (just over 100F). Blech.....

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

I got back about an hour ago from my hour walk and I was DRENCHED! The heat is one thing, but the humidity just kills me.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 23, 2010

It's a sticky 84 degrees with 72% humidity here. It's 11:00 here, too. I don't like hot weather all that much to begin with, and with the humidity I just feel miserable.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

Hate humidity!!

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2010

It has been SO humid this summer, but I have to say PA is much less humid than it was in DE so that is a relief. When we had really bad heat the other week, it was in the 100's at my parents. My mom said "Oh well, at least the humidity is lower. It is only about 75%" LOL. When it was slightly cooler, like in the upper 80's or 90's, so was the humidity.

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

When are you guys going to send us a Canadian front!! LOL!:lol:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 24, 2010

Oh I hate humidity too! It's not really humid here yet this summer. In fact, it's been pretty good temperature-wise. A wk or two ago for a few days, it was in the triples digits, but not since then.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2010

:lol: You're welcome to what we've got right now!

10. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Supposed to FEEL like 111 today with the humidity!

11. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

Let's visit South Florida humidity right now, especially after all the rain we had yesterday!

Katey's Humidity Survival Tips:

1. Ponytail that hair. You won't care how sloppy it looks once you step foot outside fo your air conditioned house.

2. Good luck finding a foundation/pressed powder/concealer that does not slide off your face and make you look like pancake batter after simply rolling down your car window you obtain your Venti Iced Coffee from Starbucks.

3. No matter how romantic it might seem, do NOT opt for eating outside at the restaurant. Sweat beads on your man's forhead does not = romantic (at least not while he's chowing down on a burger and fries.)

4. If you are a Northern Gal originally (like me) do NOT assume that the SPF 25 that you slathered on your Irish skin that worked like a charm down Cape Cod every summer will suffice in a climate with humdity and sun. My first beach trip in Florida left me looking so red that strangers looked at me with pity. Some with shame. I was in so much pain that I did not care. Green gooey ALOE was my BFF that week.

5. Even when the humidity is at it worst, never ever think for ANY reason at all that the children will not want to go outside for recess. They would go out to recess in a monsoon. Your idea of playing a fun "indoor game" is no match for the recess yard.

6. If you're new to exercise and/or out of shape (I win BOTH category awards!) I highly suggest walking in the Mall or the treadmill at the gym. If you opt for the Mall option, LEAVE YOUR DEBIT CARD AT HOME unless you want your spouse angry. Or, he may be too hot/humid to care. That's a toss up. If you do decide to go the gym route, pay NO attention to the beautifully tanned woman on the machine in front of you who has zero sweat stains, isn't panting at all, has not had the headphones of her Mp3 player fall out 6 times, and did not gulp her water down after 3 out of the 30 minutes allocated on the machine. Also, if you leave the gym at the same time as her (unlikely, as she always fits in free weights and you want to get home to catch Dr. Phil) pay no attention to how when walking outside she releases her hair from the restraints of a ponytail elastic and her shiny hair bounces down her back. You, trying to emulate gym goddess, will do the same. However, your hair will remain in ponytail form sans the elastic (a blessing of humidity) and will feel ridiculously hot and heavy on youe neck, prompting you to stop at yet another Starbucks for another Iced Coffee.

7. When the humidity gets to be so unbearable, the extremely small town where your husband grew up becomes very appealing. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES are you to phone your mother-in-law and get her hopes up about a potential move to her climate (note, I did not say state) due to the heat you're experiencing now.

8. Above all, realize this too shall pass. Dream about the 4 days in January when you pull out a cardigan, long sleeved t-shirt to go to school in. On those 4 days, treat yourself to a piping HOT coffee on your drive to work. Laugh inwardly at the native So. Floridians in MITTENS and HATS at the hint of 60 degree weather. Boast about your upbringing in Boston and how you stood at the bus stop after rushing out the door. Inform your pals how at that said bus stop, the girls would hold a contest about whose freshly-washed hair would make an icicle first. Give the students 5 minutes of extra recess on the "glorious" winter day! Go home and make chili, roast, stew... Anything that reminds of the days of youth when you'd put your mittens on the radiator and would run your cold hands under hot water even though you weren't supposed to!

That is all. I am sure there's more humidity rules. Stay cool. Stay hydrated. Evidently, I need to cut back on my caffeine intake. Maybe tomorrow, when the humidity is less. :)

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 24, 2010

We are in week two of near 100 temps and high humidity.

I've been working out every morning with another teacher. We were meeting at 8ish every morning, we had to move it to 6ish because the humidity by 8 was slowing us down so much that we felt like we weren't benefiting from the exercise.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

I hate the humidity!

14. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

Will my hair EVER get back to normal??? The humidity is causing me to go through my smoothing product like crazy, and even that is not working.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2010

You're writing is so GOOD! Loved it! You have a wonderful talent with words. Thanks for putting the first smile of the day on my face!
    :hugs:

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 25, 2010

And thank YOU for putting the first smile of the day on MY face. :love:

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 25, 2010

LOL Humidty is the norm around here. A lot of people say it doesn't feel like home if you can't take a bite out of the air. I always think it feels like stepping into a hot, wet flannel blanket.
    When I went to Wyoming several years ago I went white water rafting on the Snake River. Most of us jumped into the river on a calm section so our clothes were soaked. By the time we put everything away and climbed to our bus our clothes were dry. That SO wouldn't happen down here. It blew me away! :D