Humans of New York

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kcjo13, Jun 20, 2014.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

If you're not following HONY on Facebook, you should! It's uplifting, thought provoking, sometimes sad, but just a fun snapshot into lives in New York.

Today's pic featured a young boy and his grandfather. The grandfather's quote I found very insightful:

"His grandmother and I are raising him. I worry about putting him into the public school system. I was a teacher for many years. I've seen so much confidence destroyed by the standardized system. Every human is born with natural curiosity. I've never seen a child who wasn't inspired. But once you force someone to do anything, the inspired person is killed. I dropped out of school myself in 7th grade. So I know. I taught a GED course for years, so I've seen the end results over and over. I've seen so many kids who have complexes and insecurities because they were forced to do something they weren't ready to do, and then they were blamed when they weren't able to do it. What we call 'education' today is not organic. You can't take something as complex as the human mind, compartmentalize it, and regiment its development so strictly."

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2014

I love HONY!! And he is right on the money, unfortunately, at least in most school systems.

4. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 20, 2014

I have followed the page for awhile and even browsed the book at Barnes and Nobles. I would have bought it, but it didnt have the little interview/answer part, which is what makes HONY so inspiring.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 20, 2014

I enjoy reading some of them. Some I find pathetic/sad.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 20, 2014

I follow them on instagram. Pretty interesting.