Humane...for humans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jul 26, 2011.

1. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

I just want to say, like eduk8, thank you to everyone who has been gracious posting about this controversial topic. I have enjoyed reading the responses and feel like this has been a good discussion with valid points brought up by all.

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

If I were suffering, in pain, and had a terminal illness that was not going to improve, I may choose assisted suicide. I don't think it's selfish to want to avoid pain and leave this world with some dignity and control. I don't think that anyone who truly loved me and cared about me would believe that my choice was selfish.

If my family member opted to go for assisted suicide in a similar situation, I'd never begrudge them that. I'd never think that they were selfish. I'd never be angry with them. Of course I would miss them. Because I love them, I wouldn't want them to be hurting.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

I meant general as in "the general population beyond those people participating in this discussion". And again, I only said that many people in the general population wouldn't be opposed to the idea, certainly not most or all.

No need to apologize, truly. :)

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

This is obviously close to my heart because as you all know, I do have a terminal illness. Dying from CF can be a long, painful process. Some are "lucky" and go quickly. But I know many who have had to edure a horribly long drawn out death.

I have had to miss so many things in my life because of this disease. It affects literally all that I do. I do not want my friends and family to watch me slowly die. I do not want to be in pain AT ALL. I have Lived with CF my whole life and I want to choose how it kills me.

And if that makes me selfish, then so be it.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

Sue, I don't for a moment find that to be selfish. But even I did and others do, as you said, so be it. Your life, your journey, your decision. Hugs to you.

6. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Sue, I'm sorry to hear about your illness and the pain through which you're going. I'll keep you in my prayers that you find some relief.

I think you may have misunderstood me.

When I said "selfish", I meant for people who want an easy way out because they can't handle life (i.e., they got fired, they're getting a divorce, etc.)

I think this will be my last post in this thread. I continue to be misunderstood and I'm still quite a rookie to this forum...

I need to remember the main reason I came to this forum... to be inspired and guided in my teaching profession.

I'll say this before I leave... if I bothered anybody, or have offended anybody... please accept my sincerest apologies. It was not my intention. I sometimes don't know when to shut up, I'm afraid (or stay away from controversial topics it seems! ;) )

Take care, everybody.

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

No, no you didn't offend me at all. Many people feel as you do, and I completely understand it. I don't agree with it so that is why I posted my view. I used to think any suicide was selfish, but based on CF I can see how sometimes life is just too much pain to deal with.

But as much as I am for assisted suicide, I believe it would have to be very regulated so that not just anybody could do it if the goings got tough.

Please keep writing. I am sorry if I sounded mad, I can get heated sometimes:)

8. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Thanks for your graciousness. :)

If you don't mind my asking...what is CF? If I'm prying, tell me to mind my own business. :)

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

Cystic Fibrosis, it is a lung disease.

No prying at all, I would want to know too!

10. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Yes, I've heard of it. It's a horrible disease.

You'll be in my prayers. :)

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

Now someone else jump into this thread so I don't feel like I was a thread killer:)

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 31, 2011

Oh wow, ABSOLUTELY no pun intended!

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 31, 2011

It's teachergroupie's influence.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2011

Grump. How come it's always my fault??

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 31, 2011

When it comes to puns, it's always your fault.