Humane...for humans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jul 26, 2011.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 28, 2011

Well I am most definitely in the minority here!

I do believe letting a person choose DNR is completely ethical and moral. A life is ending, and the person has decided ahead of time they will go when the life is ending.

Euthanasia I can't agree with. It goes deep into the sanctity and value of all life. And I have sat with loved ones suffering and taking their last breaths. Of course I do not like them to suffer, but a human life is of greatest value because we are made in God's image, the only creatures who are.

Another sensitive possibility might be a baby born with with severe, severe issues both physically and surely mentally. Should a mother be given the right to euthanize her child to spare the child a life of darkness in every sense of the word?

JustMe, I'm not picking on you, but this statement brought so many feelings up inside me.

I have also loved and cared for these babies and children. The truth is they give US a better quality of life, open a world to us that we would never know otherwise. They make us better people. If there was nothing in the world unpleasant or painful to deal with, I think we would be a race of stunted human beings.

2. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

This is a topic I have thought about many times and still do not know which side of the fence I fall on. I want to accept the idea of someone in a terminal state with extreme pain being able to end it early, but the "playing God" aspect holds me off.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

I guess that is my view. That God is the only one who sees the big picture and it is his choice when to end a life, end a suffering.

I do understand how painful it is to see a loved one suffer and don't mean any coldness or disrespect to any who disagree with me. It is tough any way you look at it.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

Certainly no offense taken since I'm only bringing up discussion points or considerations...haven't said I agree with any of it. :)

I do, though, believe anyone should be permitted to end their own life for whatever reason...but I find it quite sad someone would be facing circumstances so difficult they would want to. Unfortunately there are many, many situations people find unbearable.

I'm uneasy about ending anyone's or anything's life...it doesn't seem my decision to make. At the same time, I can also imagine some circumstances where I may be tempted out of love for the sufferer.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

I am an atheist, but like callmebob said, I am also somewhat bothered by playing "mother nature." I mentioned in the animal thread that I had a hard time making this decision just about my cat. I just didn't feel right about it (not that I felt right about leaving her alive, either.) I have already told my BF, who is for assisted suicide and DNR, that I do not want to be the person to make that decision for him. Someone else can execute that decision, because I know I won't make the decision that he would want. As for myself, I am the opposite of most - I want to live no matter what - I want them to do whatever they can to keep me alive. Perhaps if I had a disease or was dying, I would feel differently.

Having said all that, I don't understand why suicide is illegal. If you aren't hurting anyone else, and you want to take your own life for any reason, you should have the right to do so. That doesn't mean I would encourage it or wouldn't try to stop someone who was doing it, but I think those people need help. Apparently it is no longer a felony in any state, but it can still be considered a crime in some states and can hold up the victim's family from receiving inheritances, etc.

Also, according to wikipedia, assisted suicide is legal in Washington and Oregon, but the patient has to have a terminal illness, have 2 doctors' approval, put the request in writing, wait 15 days, make another request, wait another 15 days, and THEN the doctor can prescribe but not administer the lethal dose of drugs.

6. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I think "sure in general" could be not a cautious statement to use. A teachers' forum sampling may not be indicative of "in general". Some people who are opposed to this view just may not feel comfortable going against the "majority" posting here, yes?

I guess I'd be conflicted.

My Christian beliefs dictate no, I shouldn't "play God" and determine through how much pain my loved one is going, or if they're enduring it. Pain tolerance is subjective. I whimper when I get a tummy ache, while somebody else may laugh accidentally pounding their pinky finger with a hammer.

That being said, I couldn't bear to see a loved one endure the pain (although, admittedly, some pain isn't visible, especially when said person has brain damage, etc.) I would pray for God to show mercy and take my loved one.

Now, if the person is relying on a MACHINE to keep them alive, then the person isn't living. The machine is living through the person. Turning off the machine isn't (IMHO) "ending a life"... it's "stopping a machine". Then again, who am I to say that God can't take a person even if a machine is "running" a human life?

I pray I'm never in a situation where I have to make that decision... I can't begin to imagine the thoughts going through one's mind.

7. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Well (and this is all due respect to your husband and those who suffer from such maladies)... is the person who is mentally/chemically unstable, of the "right mind" to end his/her own life?

Then we could be treading on "Shouldn't a person who feels sad or hopeless that they've lost their job, marriage, home... shouldn't they be able to choose to end their own life?"

Who gets to say how much suffering is justifiable to end one's life? Me? The psychiatrist who is treating me?

(Again, I say this with all due respect to those who suffer from mental illnesses...)

8. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Okay, JustMe, now it's my turn to say I'm not picking on you...

I disagree. I think suicide ("just because I can't go on living this way" is incredibly selfish. The person who performs it (hopefully successfully) is gone. They no longer suffer. No, just those who hold that person dear...who love them...who want to spend their lives with that person...THEY suffer.

Sorry... VERY selfish.

Again, when mental illness is involved, it's not of the right mind. Then again, many would say that ANY type of suicide is "not of the right mind". Again.... subjectivity rears its ugly head. :)

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

I said I'm sure many would agree...not most. So it seems like a fine statement to me. :)

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

Hey, it's totally fine. We don't have to agree. It's all good. :)

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2011

I think in theory assisted suicide sounds like a humane ending, but when it comes to practical application, its just too messy. What was that woman's name from a few years ago...Terri? Remember, she was in a chronic vegetative state, and her husband wanted to end support but her family didn't.

If a person is elderly, it might seem like the right thing to do. But where is that line? If someone doesn't have a living will, what then?

If you were suffering, would you want your spouse or your family to make that decision? What if, like that woman, your spouse was estranged? Or it had been several years, and he or she wanted to get remarried?

I just think there are too many unknowns to make it "humane".

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

When I use the term assisted suicide (and I may be using it incorrectly), I refer to a situation in which a person wants help ending his or her life...not what Terri endured. That was messy.

I don't think assisted suicide is too messy, but I agree that human euthanasia would be.

13. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

:)

14. IEDUK8

IEDUK8 Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I guess we have different views of what "in general" means but I do apologize if I offended you. :)

Thanks for being gracious.

(LOL and you'd think...by age 44, I'd learn to stay out of these heated topics. :eek::lol: )

15. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

You have articulated my own feelings very well.