Huge job opportunity... nervous!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacherwithlove, Jun 14, 2013.

1. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jun 14, 2013

Hi, so I've just completed my 2nd year of teaching for a district that is 1 hour away from my home. Needless to say, I have been applying to districts that are within my city. I have an interview with a very big school district next week and I want to WOW them! I would be making 12k more a year and would be saving all kinds of money on gas... and not to mention I would be saving hours in my daily commute.

So I haven't interviewed in 2.5 years and I'm feeling nervous.
    I have a few pros- I've gone to several CCSS workshops and co-lead PLC's for CCSS implementation. I have also volunteered to be ASB/FNL lead and I've done some after school tutoring. I have also just completed my 1st year of BTSA induction. I have raving Evaluations- should I include those?:confused:

At the beginning of last year I took tons of pics of my classroom (before the kids came) and I'm wondering if I should take those pics to my interview. Should I arrange them onto a science board in presentation form? Or should I put them in a portfolio? Speaking of portfolio- MINE NEEDS TO BE UPDATED!

Getting this interview was a complete surprise and now I'm feeling like I'm unprepared. Does anyone have any advice? PLEASE HELP!!! :dizzy:

-S

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 14, 2013

I'd include the pictures in your portfolio. I've had people want to look at it, and some people who never bothered. However, the people who looked at it LOVED seeing pictures! But they especially liked seeing pictures of student work, and/or students working around the classroom.

You want to paint yourself as the perfect candidate, so yes I would let them know about your volunteer and CCSS trainings.

I would practice what your answers to possible questions might be so you are prepared and confident in your answers! If it's a complete surprise getting the interview, then something on your resume really stood out.

Good luck!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2013

I made a picture and caption only brochure. I was interviewed by a panel with a script but the photos prompted questions so it became more of a conversation rather than an interrogation. :)

5. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jun 14, 2013

Thank you so much for the replies! I will need to revamp my portfolio for sure and I will include those pics! Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the kids working... :(

And I don't have any student work... I think. hmm...

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2013

If you use student work, make sure a name is not attached to it. I think being familiar with CCSS is a biggie. I served on the Interview Committee at my school and trust me CCSS drove lots of the discussion. I think a portfolio with pictures of your classroom would be nice to have. I was disappointed; I sat in on six interviews and no one had a portfolio.

7. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jun 18, 2013

Hi everyone- well I went to the interview!

I mentioned my CCSS familiarity and they just seemed pretty poker faced. One Principal smiled and nodded for every answer I gave while the other kind of seemed bored. Either way, I really hope I get a call back.. they said I should be hearing something within a week from HR. AHHH. I really wish I would've shown them my portfolio at the end. I only turned to one page when I was talking about my behavior ladder (I have a picture of my behavior ladder) and then I closed it back up. I think I really made a mistake by doing that... but then again, the questions they asked me weren't exactly geared towards student work or anything else. They were more concerned with how I would get families involved and how I would give instruction.

BLAH. I feel like I did really well but now I'm thinking about more things that I could've said that would've *wowed* them and now I'm feeling disappointed. I know they are holding interviews all this week in 30 minute increments.. the more I think about that the more I become discouraged.

:(

8. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jun 18, 2013

I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 18, 2013

Yay!!! Congrats!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

WOW! That was quick! Congratulations.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

Congratulations!

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 18, 2013

Congrats

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 18, 2013

Congrats!

I moved to a district much closer to where I live during the week. I went from a two hour total commute a day to a two mike commute. You'll love not living in your vehicle!!!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2013

Congratulations!

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2013

CONGRATS!

16. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

Thanks everyone! I go in to sign my contract tomorrow- I AM SO HAPPY!!!