Huge Dilema!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

Hello, friends!

This morning at 7am, my former principal called to let me know that the teacher who "bumped" me from my 2nd grade position has accepted a promotion as VP at another school in our district. Anyway, my position is available (same school, same grade, same classroom, same everything).

In my district, any tenured teacher can apply for a teaching position. Interviews aren't held--the teacher with the most experience and/or senority automatically gets the job. Even though that used to be my teaching position, I would have to apply for it.

Here's my dilema: I've spent all day Monday, Tuesday, and today setting up my new middle school classroom. Do I go ahead and apply for my former position, or stay at the school I've been transferred to?

I got rid of almost all of my 2nd grade materials (gave to other teacher friends) because the 6th grade position I was assigned to is permanent and there's no way I can get "bumped" anymore. I never in a million years thought I'd be able to return to my former position.

My teacher friends keep texting and calling me asking the same thing: "Did you apply yet???"

I'd hate to take down my middle school classroom, pack everything up, take it back to my elementary school classroom, buy new materials, and set up again.

I feel so torn.

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

I think you answered your own question!

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 27, 2011

Perhaps you need a pro & con list. I get the vibe from your post that you're leaning toward 6th grade (stability, room set up, threw out 2nd stuff). :D If you're looking for the challenge of learning a new grade level I say stay with 6th grade. Would you be able to move to a different grade in the future if you find you don't like it? I will admit that I am a bit biased. My last year teaching sixth graders was amazing! It's a great age. :D In the end you need to do what is best for you.

5. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

Where would you rather be this year; old classroom/grade or new classroom/grade? If you hate being bumped, stay put...

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

Nice dilema though...considering.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 27, 2011

My question to you is what do you want to do long term? If you are thinking about staying in the classroom and feel like younger children is your niche, then I would say that you already know the answer. If you want to go into administration later and are interested in advancing in your career, or if you have aspirations to Coach a sport, you are probably better off at the middle school. The choice is up to you. What do you really want to do?

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

:agreed::D

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

I'm a couple of classes away from my Administrative Credential/Master's Degree in School Administration. My ultimate goal is to apply for an admin job within the next few years.

On one hand, all my experience (six years) were spent in a 2nd grade classroom. It'd definitely be easy to return to what I know best. However, on the other hand, I think that middle school experience will make me more marketable when I'm ready for apply for a VP/Principal position.

UGH!!! :dizzy:

10. chibiev

chibiev Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

Do you think leaving your middle school position would hurt your relationship with that school? I only ask because if you decide next year or a couple years down the road that you want to teach middle school, that black mark on your record could come back to haunt you. If you're in a small district, that might be something to ponder.

11. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

Agreed plus the variety of experience looks better. It looks like you were able to handle change and were interested in gaining more knowledge about different age groups/grades.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I agree with LUC. I think if you want to go in to administration, you need to be in a new building and a new grade level, too.

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 27, 2011

I can relate to what you are going through. I also had been torn between two schools for a while. The only difference was that both of these were for middle school. My friends and administration really want me to go back and have been putting some "pressure" but I just want to stay put for now.

Good luck on your decision but I think that if you are planning to be an administrator, having a range of experience will be great.

14. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jul 27, 2011

I also agree that if you want to be an administrator you would be better off in the new year level to give you a wider range of experience.
    It would definitely be easier to return to 2nd grade but I think it is a great opportunity to try something new and challenge yourself further (and not have to pull down the classroom you spent so long putting up!).

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

I'm biased - I love middle schoolers. Go for 6th grade; it'll be new and exciting :)

16. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 27, 2011

As a very happy 6th grade teacher, I vote for your staying with 6th! Plus, I agree with all the comments about your future marketability and being "bump-proof." If you were to return to 2nd, what's to keep you from being bumped again?

17. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

I think if you're working on your Admin credential and want to apply for admin eventually-the marketability will be nothing but an asset to you.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

I agree about thinking long term.

Don't let being tired, a bit lazy (please don't take that the wrong way - I simply mean not wanting to do the work required) or invested in your new ROOM keep you from where you want to be. The work you've done this summer shouldn't impact a long-term decision. If you go back to 2nd grade would it be permanent like this one is? You seem to have really enjoyed what you did there. If your friends are calling to see if you are going to return, I'm sure they'd give you back the resources you shared with them.

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

But reading ahead... ifyou're not looking to stay in 2nd grade forever, if you're looking at admin, then I say go to 6th :)

20. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

:agreed: Think of it this way.... What is your gut telling you to do? Your gut is always right. I wouldn't look at it as not feeling like moving. What age and or subject do you prefer? go where you will be happy. Personally it sounds to me you prefer to be with the 6th grade position, you just need some reassurance. So with that being said, FOLLOW YOUR GUT!!

Best of luck with your decision! :)

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

I would go with whichever job you think you will like more in the long-run. The extra work would be a pain right now, but it's really the next 9 months that you want to think about.

If you would like either grade, I would go with 6th for reasons that others have stated.

22. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

Sounds like your gut already made the decision to stay in 6th grade. MS rocks! Enjoy.

23. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

I'd go with the bump proof position particularly since you've already started prepping for it and that age group is what you ultimately want to work with, albeit in an administrative role. It'll help you get use to working with that age group. Plus, by the time you're actually an admin, you might be getting some of your past 2nd graders!

24. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 27, 2011

I teach second grade and LOVE it, but I think you should stick with the 6th grade position- you've already put time and effort into preparation (physically and mentally); you can't be bumped from the position; it looks better on your resume for your future goals; it provides you with good experience in not only a different grade level, but a whole new school level.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!! It's nice to have options!

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

I'd stay in middle school. 6th grade is totally easy because the kids already know everything and really don't need a teacher at all.

26. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 27, 2011

Just from what VERY little I know about your situation, I'd absolutely stay in 6th. Enjoy the challenge! Middle schoolers are awesome!

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 27, 2011

You guys ROCK! I knew you'd give the best advice--that's why I posted my situation on here!

Anyway, I will NOT be applying for my former 2nd grade position. As much as I feel I'm letting down my previous principal and co-workers by not applying for the job, I feel that I need experience with another age group.

One more thing: I got a sneak peak at my class lists and I'm going to have several of my former 2nd graders this year for 6th grade! That'll be fun!!!

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

That will make it worth it.

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

Sticking with 6th grade is a great idea! When I moved from kinder to fifth years ago, I was a bit nervous and afraid to make the move. However, it ended up being a FABULOUS year. Sixth graders are an.... interesting bunch. :)

30. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 27, 2011

I think staying in 6th will be better for your career in the long run. Good luck!

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2011

If you're hoping to be an administrator at some point, I would think that a varied teaching background would be an absolute must!

32. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 28, 2011

:lol: I love it!