HUGE accomplishment! You get to watch a 7-minute narrated tour of Jasztalville!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2008

(Exhales in exhaustion) It's... done. Basically.

Okay, there's a few things that aren't in the room yet, and all the boxes you're going to see are certainly not going to stay. But if you actually sit through this, you'll hear this random chuckle out of me when kids start screaming/running after one another outside... and my favorite moment: "Can't stand faded components on anything." Oh, and the "plastic kingdom" and random blurtings out of "Gotta love it" (more than once, which adds to the obscure humor) and "Hey", one particular example being "It's kinda embarrassing to be filming this, but hey." I rambled quite a bit, but I really enjoyed making this video. I've spent about thirty hours this week in this room!!

I was majorly congested during the filming of this video, also.

http://teachingvision.org/features/2008-2009/ClassroomTour3.wmv

(Note: I will upload photos when I get Adobe Photoshop back in my computer again, and I had to compress this video to make it upload pretty quickly. I minimized the window when viewing the video so it didn't look grainy.)

NEW NOTE: TXTCHR29 stated that Mac users can see my video here by downloading Windows Media Player- http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/windowsmediaplayerformacosx.html

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2008

Ermmm... it's a little slow to upload, about maybe a minute and a half or so. This is the first video I have ever uploaded to my website, and maybe I'll make it easier to view videos soon. I hope you enjoy it, anyway. :)

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

Wow! That was so impressive. I love your room and seeing how you organized everything. Congrats on a wonderful room!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 8, 2008

Loved the video!! Your classroom is huge and so is your storage room. I would have loved to have been a student in your class.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 8, 2008

I was going to hold off on buying those plastic storage containers with drawers but maybe now I will just go buy a few of them. :D

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2008

The plastic drawers make organization a wonderful thing. Thank you so far.

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 8, 2008

I am so jealous of all your storage space. I have none. Not even a closet! All my stuff has to be hidden in all kinds of spaces.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 8, 2008

Loved it! I just got my Treasures stuff delivered today. I'm leaving on vacation on Sunday, I'm kinda freaking out about sorting through it all when I get back. I loved your tour!

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I can't watch windows media files on my computer (mac) can you load it onto Youtube or something? I really want to see it!

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2008

Hmm, perhaps I can try that... I've never done that before, either. Can I ever make a video available in Quicktime if I have a PC?

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

Oh yeah, I probably need it in quicktime too! I think there is a way you can do it.... Do you have quicktime on your computer? I used to have quicktime on my pc.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 8, 2008

For the few who haven't been able to view it, I am uploading to YouTube for the very first time. :) Let's hope it works well.

NOTE THIRTY MINUTES LATER: It didn't work. The video file is too large. I need to learn how to do this.

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 9, 2008

Wonderful room! How do you remember where everything is stored, with regard to your "plastic kingdom?" :)

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

wow, that is cool. Your room is huge, it is nice to have all that room. I also like all the computers that you have in your room. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

That was really fun to see Mrs. J! You do have an amazing room and I can't believe how large it is and with a storage room and your own restroom built in. I agree that it must be very fun to be a student in your class!

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

I wish I had so much storage! I have a teeny-tiny closet and 2 bookshelves (besides my library). 1 bookshelf is my TEs and the other is manipulatives and art.
    I am very jealous!

It looks very nice :)

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 9, 2008

Great job, Ms.Jasztal! I love the organization. It looks kid-friendly, too.

(I especially liked the 'July 7th' part. That's something I would do.)

Have a great year.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

I feel so bad, Upsadaisy, I want you to have my room.

Giraffe326, four years ago, I had a tiny classroom with no restroom or storage, so I "moved on up". It was even located at the back of the library!

Mrs. M- I like how I can set up some succinct areas of the room, even more than the room I had last year. I am in an "end room" this year, which means our classroom opens up to one other room.

DHE- Our entire district got new Dell computers this year! I don't know how with the budget cuts, in all honesty. Yet they are better than the old dusty Macs we had that didn't work half the time.

Erin Elizabeth- I'll be putting labels on the drawers of the "plastic kingdom". Some of the kids will have things stored in there, and then other parts are mine to readily store supplies for reading and writing class. :)

Mac Users- I think I'll upload photos to an online album (not through my site, but something like Bubbleshare). I took several photos yesterday and will probably take even more, considering I am remodeling the "Florida Box".

I'll probably share even more with everyone next week. Maybe I'll make a shorter video and see how that uploads. I don't know how to compress a video enough yet to upload it well to the Internet. This took a good 20 minutes to upload, also.

Still, I love "Gotta love it" and "Hey". I never realized before I have these trite sayings!! :woot:

20. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

ms. jasztal--
    what are deadpan words?

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

The pan has "eggs" in it that have words like said, big, small, and other boring words in there. It says, "Fry these words up and never use them again!"

22. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

that's really cute, i'd love to steer my 5th graders away from those words also. how do you introduce those words? as a whole? as they come up? i'd love more info!

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

Well, I also just purchased a little flip chart book through Lakeshore that has all kinds of antonyms, synonyms, and better words to use in general. It was only a little more than $3.

I also introduce a plethora of "Million Dollar Words" over the course of the year. One of my centers this year is all about gathering excellent vocabulary in their binders.

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2008

I moved down :confused:. I HAD a large room last year with storage- I just never had the time (or resources) to set it up how I would like. I was "living with it" until the next year. Then, my crazy P decided that the whole school was switching rooms (except K). Now, a 2nd grade teacher has my nice spacious room for which I had LOTS of ideas for. :(
    The brightside is that my old room was depressing- it just looked old and run down. They did paint it over the summer, but it still does not look "nice". My new room is completely different. I guess you can't have it all :dunno:

25. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

I loved the video! It was so cool hearing your voice, but i love your room, jotted some ideas! Thanks for sharing.

26. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

I was immensely congested, but thanks for saying it was cool to hear my voice. I normally have more energy than that...! :)

27. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

I'm so sorry, everyone, I haven't been able to do anything to make this available for Mac users yet. It also takes a long time to upload the photos, unless I can get into my good old Adobe Photoshop (which I don't have now) and make them smaller to make for a faster upload. I will certainly get it online sometime, though, with beautiful photos! :)

28. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 9, 2008

I love it. Thanks for uploading a video.

You really put a lot of effort into everything--its very obvious. I loved your writing center display board! Looks so neat.

29. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 9, 2008

I'm off to buy some plastic storage containers!:D

30. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 9, 2008

31. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

32. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I love your room! I have to admit I'm super envious of your storage closet!!! You've done an amazing job! Grats!

33. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

Did I see Bob the Tomato in there? :)

34. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I have a mac and was able to watch it fine. I guess I already downloaded it and didn't remember!

Ms.Jasztal, I LOVE your room! You are definitely an inspiration!!:wow:

35. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

Of course he was there. :lol: He comes out at the strangest times.

36. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

one more thing, I can't believe you have a restroom in your room. Must be nice!!!:rolleyes:

37. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

You are pretty much my technological hero! Between this and your gorgeous website, I'm inspired to go forth and be a techie!!!

38. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 9, 2008

Very cool :2up:

39. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

Yay for techies. I am getting something very technological on Monday- these digital multiple-choice gadgets that the kids click to get their answers on the projector. So this year I'll be even more a techie than ever!

By the way, I forced myself to learn Windows Movie Maker recently, and it's not too bad. Yet at first, it kind of freaked me out. I'm glad I finally got the hang of it.

40. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2008

LOVED the video, but I almost swallowed my teeth when you said that you ddn't have as much storage as last year. You have SO MUCH storage...even a storage closet! I have one armoire and four cabinets, and that's IT. I've brought in some bookshelves, and "borrowed" (translation: permanent loan) a drawer cart from another classroom (seniority has its privileges!). I am very jealous of your storage space. The plastic jungle is very organized. You have an awesome room. Congrats!

41. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

I shouldn't feel so bad, and I am so sorry. The closet I have stores the electrical unit for the hallway, so there are eight less shelves than in the old closet.

The best thing is that anyone can do the plastic kingdom!! :woot: