Hubby diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by willsgirl, Sep 18, 2007.

1. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Sep 18, 2007

Perhaps the prayers should be for me. I accept this situation, am used to it as several family members are afflicted with diabetes, most notably my mom. What is hard is that my H will not discuss this with me unless I ask. This will be hard on him as no food is his enemy and he has always thought he was invincible. Now, all the very acute symptoms are getting him down and he can barely make it through the day. I'm not sure he has accepted this disease he has and has apparently had for some time. Even after meds, insulin, diet, his blood sugar is still dangerously high. He insists that once the meds and diet take hold, he'll be better and won't have to worry about it any more. I know better. He thinks it's just going to go away. He has not told his parents and me and the kids found out by accident (I found his meds, meter, etc.). :(

Prayers, please, for acceptance (and good recipes). NO need to reply.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2007

willsgirl- you and your hubby are in my thoughts. This can be managed, but he has to be willing to give up his old ways. Perhaps consult a nutritionist too.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2007

Prayers of strength for all of you.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2007

Keeping you, your hubby, and family in my prayers. I know that accepting diabetes is hard, especially for someone who thinks they are untouchable. I will keep you all in my prayers.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 19, 2007

Its such a shock to be given such news. The best tool for you and your husband would be to educate yourselves. READ READ READ! With close monitoring he should be able to get this under control. Is his regulated numbers dropping from the initial diagnosis?
    Diabetes is prevalent on my husband's side of the family and we often have our daughter tested for it with insatiable thirst symptoms. She is so far okay. I think I am not as frightened with your announcement because we deal with it with my husband. We all sometimes test ourselves with his meter to see where we are in comparison to him. My children are used to pushing in the plunger for grandma on her insulin shots. I also get b12 injections so the 'syringe' is not something they are fearful. My husband does go to podiatry appointments often because diabetes can cause circulation issues and any wound care should be done with a professional supervision.

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Sep 19, 2007

I am very well educated about this disease. My dad had it, my mom has it, her sister has it, my maternal grandmother had it. Have had students with juvenile onset. I'm a shoe in for it...that's why I recognized his symptoms long before he was forced to deal with it. I cook for my mom, help her manage her food. I am a real good cook with a lot of food knowledge.

He is better (attitude wise) today cuz he's beginning to feel better. His numbers were down today, but not safe as yet. Time, drugs, and all the other stuff will tell. He is beginning to come to terms with this, I think, since the shock is passing. I felt very hurt since he apparently told others first and, until today, has not discussed the situation with me very much. Now he's sharing more, so I guess all will be OK. Communication has always been a problem for us.

Thank you one and all for your prayers, concerns, and advice.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 19, 2007

I have it. I'll pray for you husband in the hopes that his denial will not stop him from handling his disease. You sound like a very caring wife.

9. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 20, 2007

My husband has had diabetes. for years. It will take some time to adjust. Exercise is estremely helpful for lowering blood sugar. Counting carbs is also helpful. You and your hubby are in my thoughts and prayers.