Hubbie whining about expense of being a teacher

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by wldywall, Dec 5, 2006.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2006

My hubbie just does not get that I HAVE to spend some of
    my money on my classroom, I have done this with both of
    the paychecks I have gotten so far. He thinks I am wasting
    my money, and doesn't see that buying classroom supplies
    makes my job easier and me less stressed! I took over
    after a LTS was there for 9 weeks. When I got there there
    were no file folers, staplers, hole punch, paper clips,
    lined paper, colored pencils, rulers, tape, pens, etc etc.
    So I used what limited funds I was allowed to have, and
    bought the rest, including cheap plastic carts with
    drawers to put things in, a VCR ($20) so I don't have to
    rely on getting the one that is available. I did spend a
    lot, but so far it has made my life so much better. The
    first week I was there if I needed a stapler I had to run
    across the hall to get one! Which becuase I work in a
    high school meant I had to wait until the end of the day!

How do you convince your spouses sometimes you have to
    spend your own money in the classroom and that it makes
    your life easier so you can go home earlier (understand he
    is mad about the amount of time I spend working late and
    working on the weekends, he says I am not working
    effieciently (sp) if I am working 7 days a week)

Yep he doesn't get it, but he is a nice guy, so no bashing
    him, he just doesn't understand....he has never been
    around teachers before except his SIL who is a teacher at
    a small private school, and all her supplies are given to
    her. Oh, she is also a veteran teacher so she works
    faster than I do.....the curse of being a new teacher.

How do you convince your spouses that sometimes you have to spend your own money on stuff (including a few great things from this site! :D)

3. maroki

maroki Comrade

Dec 5, 2006

I'm not sure how to convince your husband you need to spend money on your classroom, but I definitely understand the need for it. Could you take him to your classroom and point out all the things that you have supplied, then ask him to imagine you working/children learning in a classroom without all of those things?

I'm not sure that my husband understands the need for me to spend money on my classroom, but he doesn't oppose it at all. Before I started in my own classroom for a long time I mentally prepared him, reminding him I would have to put out a lot of money to get things for my classroom.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

They won't understand. You never really do unless it's your classroom. My only advice is to set up a budget. Make sure you and your hubby agree to it, and then do your best to stick with it.

5. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 6, 2006

the budget idea is a good one. There are a lot of articles out there that discuss teacher's spending their own money on supplies, maybe find one of those and show him it's not just you. Forunately for me my wife is a teacher as well, so she understand. We do have school stuff budgeted out but it's hard for both of us to stick to it.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2006

Though you may have a desk, teaching is not a desk job. I'd compare it more to a tradesperson's job - what would a contractor do without the right tools? Maybe he could relate better to that.

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2006

I always tell my guy to imagine if he was sitting at his desk and realized that he didnt have any pens or paper ....and when he went to the supply closet they told him that there was no money for it and that he had to buy his own.....what would you do? Work without pens and paper or go buy some??? It is the same thing....crazy that we are not supplied with enough to do our job but expected to do it and do it well!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 6, 2006

A lot of things do have to be bought, but my teacher this year is broke. She literally has not bought anything. We find the most amazing places and solutions for things that are needed.

*The class needs bandaides...Go ask the infirmary.
    *The files need a small filing cabinet....check out printer paper boxes, they are perfect for hanging files.
    *For thanksgiving we picked a project that required supplies we already had plus shoe boxes (we got those donated).
    *File folders.....does the office have any and can you use them?
    *Bulliten boards, print templates off the internet and have the school laminate them.
    *Will your cafeteria supply you with food for class recipes or parties? Ours will (with advance notice). This is something we wouldn't have thought to ask.
    *Can parents supply it?
    *Have you asked your principal if that is supplied. They don't know what you want or need until you ask.
    *The dollar store is wonderful.

I guess my point is that in the beginning it is almost alluring to buy stuff for your classroom. Some is needed and some could be adapted.

As an aide, I confess I don't have to buy a single thing. People are always amazed though when I find such good deals. It is my advantage that I can buy what I want and when I want it instead of at a specific moment. With that in mind though, shop clearance sections and when you see something that is a good deal that you can really use, get it. When you buy somethng for a specific moment at the exact moment that you want it, then it is usually more costly. If you can hold off, keep the item in your mental shelf and you will find it at a better time or even find a better solution.

BE CREATIVE!!!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2006

That is so true. Stock up on the buys when you find them. when I opened my winter box of decorations, I found lots of ornament kits that I had bought last year after Christmas for 50 cents each. Todays kit made 7 little foamy Santa things.

I never pay full price for anything for my classroom. Even my rocking chair came from a second-hand store. I use the meager school money very wisely at the beginning of the year. If I run out of construction paper, I send a kid down to the art room. Mailbox magazine has a double-sided poster each month. I make use of old magazines, old cards, etc. I have gotten tons of stuff from the Scholastic $1 sale last year and this year.

My school does supply file folders, pens and pencils, staples, tape, etc. Thank goodness.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2006

You know what, I am at a high school and well, they do not even laminate.....we have to go to the district offices and then it costs moeny, it is actually cheaper to go to the local staples and get it done there.

I have been very creative, the chair I had hurt to sit in, I am not using the one from my teenage sons room! I brought my own bookcase, my own decorations for the desk, my own post it note dispenser, lots of stuff I already own has been...umm appropriated! I really haven't spent too much for anything EXCEPT for overhead sheets, the ones you write on cost me $25 for a box and the ones to print or photocopy on cost me $36 for a box! OUCH! Even the cheap carts with drawers I got, only cost me $9 and $12. The overhead stuff I could not get from the school because they provided an overhead with the roll film on it, and the LTS somehow broke it and it has been in the shop for 2 months....they got a supply for it and won't buy other stuff.

BUT they did provide me with a brand new white board when I told them I was allergic to the chalk dust....got it for me in 2 weeks....they provide what they have, and do not provide what they don't have, but isn't that true of all schools?

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2006

I think that is absolutely true. I don't even have a computer in my room.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

This is my second year teaching. last year I shared a room with a teacher who's taught for 10 years. So, I had to purchase nothing except little things here and there. Also, we had an open supply room. School bought us everything. Plus, I got quite a bit of supply money. Then, I moved to a new school district. No money. Period. I went out and bought $300 worth of things before even seeing my classroom. Anyways, as I was moving in, a ton of teachers came up to me and asked me to come to their classroom and see if I wanted or needed anythign. I got so many things: paint, brushes, water color, paper, kid's books, stapler, holiday decorations, paint cups, toys, puzzles, etc etc. So, before going out and buying, I would first send out an email to the teachers at your school. I know that at my school, if you ask for something, teachers will give you that and more. They are very willing to share.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

I would beg, borrow or steal before I'd buy anything for my classroom. I don't make enough money to buy things. If there's a will there's a way...get creative. If you DO have to buy something that you absolutely can't get along without, that is understandable...but I find other ways to do things that work just as well and don't cost me a dime.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2006

I probably spent about $200 this year. More in prior years. I shouldn't buy any more books. The room can't hold any more.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

You sound like me!:rolleyes:

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

I would bet that I didn't spend over $5.00 last year. What types of things do you have to buy, Daisy? Just curious.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2006

We get all our books free from Scholastic from bonus points. I also buy tons of books at garage sales and people just give me books. When we have the book sales, our parents will sometimes buy us books and the director buys us books. We have so many books right now, our shelves are falling over! But that's a good thing!

18. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Dec 6, 2006

My first few years of teaching I spent a lot, but I really haven't spent as much this year. One recommendation I can give is to use school money to buy any consumables (pens, paper, etc) they don't automatically provide. Then buy non-consumables (teaching manuals, software, etc) with your money...that way you are investing in something you can take with you if you ever get another job. I kind of have the attitude this year, like some of the others who have posted, that I'm just NOT going to spend my own money & make due with what I have. I have also learned to ask a little more for things I do need. My first few years I was so afraid to ask for anything extra after I spent my meager $100 budget. Now, if I need something, I put in a purchase order no matter what...all the admin can do is say no, right? And another thing to keep in mind is that I can claim up to $300 (I think) of what I spend on school as some kind of deduction on income taxes (not sure if this is just in MO or federal law). Make sure you look into that... and save your receipts! As for your husband...try giving him plenty of warning about what you have to spend...I tell my husband in June to remember that August is when I need to spend a little of our money on school things, but then like I said I try to slack off the spending after that.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2006

This year I've bought lots of instructional posters, a 5'x8' rug, 2 storage cabinets, file things for my desk. I buy candy every week and any small cheap things I can find for my goody box. I bought craft kits at the thrift store, glitter, a long-arm stapler, white board markers, plants, post-it notes, stationary for writing to pen pals. Oh, I'm sure there's more, too.

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 6, 2006

I am always buying things for my classroom.

In the teachers room at my school there is a poster: It goes something like this, I can't remember the exact words.

It will be a great day when schools get all the money they need and the airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy new equipment.