HS Writing Level Assessments

Discussion in 'High School' started by MrK, May 21, 2015.

1. MrK

MrK Rookie

May 21, 2015

Hey all,

I'm already planning for next year because I have no life and I'm a glutton for punishment. :p

Since I teach HS Social Studies, I'm looking for a writing assessment to track writing proficiency. I've looked at the CUNY Writing Proficiency Assessment and it looks good, but my periods are only 50 minutes long. I might split the CUNY assessment into two class periods because of this.

My question is are there any other recommendations? Not because I'm stubborn with the assessment, but because I like a lot of stuff in my arsenal. Thanks all!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 21, 2015

Another thing you could try is looking at the PARCC Assessment writing samples. One of them asks students to read three different articles about the dropping of the first atomic bomb and then gives this prompt:

Write an essay that compares and contrasts a primary argument in each text that you have read regarding the decision to drop the atomic bomb. Your essay should explain how effectively you think each author supported that claim with reasoning and/or evidence. Be sure to use evidence from the three texts to support your ideas.​

The articles and prompt may be found at http://parcc.pearson.com/resources/practice-tests/english/grade-9/pba/PC194830-001_9ELATB_PT.pdf

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 21, 2015

When I student taught my mentor, aligned her writing assessment to the CSU or UC entrance examination requirements. She gave students a few articles addressing the same topic and then gave them a prompt similar to the one mentioned in the earlier prompt. Student writing was them assessed using the entrance assessment prompt rubrics..I think you can find them online...