HS Teachers: How many hours do you work?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Neophyte, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Neophyte

Neophyte Rookie

Jan 4, 2007

I know that this topic has come up, but I think it would be interesting to gather some clear answers. How many hours do you typically work each week--TOTAL, including lesson planning, grading, weekends, etc.

Please feel free to include the subject you teach, and how many years you've been at it. Thanks!

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 4, 2007

Lets see:

Regular School Day: 6 hours 30 Min. * 5=32.5 hours
    After School:1 Hour * 5= 5 hours
    Planing Time Every Night: 1 Hour * 5= 5 hours
    Work on the weekends: 2 Hours * 1= 2 hours

Total: About 45 Hours A week if not more

4. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Jan 5, 2007

Wow...I'm a first year teacher and I think I probably overwork myself. I'm going to model Brendan Ryan's way of calculating it out!

Regular School Day: 7 hours x 5 = 35 hours
    Before School: 1 hour x 5 = 5 hours
    After School: 2 hours x 5 = 10 hours
    At home grading: 3 hours a week or so
    Work on weekends: 5 hours a week

Total: 58 hours! Yikes.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 5, 2007

Spanish
    Regular School Day - 8 *5 = 40
    After School - 1*5 = 5
    Evenings - 2 hours * 3 = 6
    Weekends - 2 hours * 1 = 2

53 hours total, unless I give a test and then all bets are off.

6. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

Middle school math

School day 7.5 hrs * 5 = 37.5 hr
    Average after school/week = 5.5 hrs
    Evenings at home = 2 hrs
    Weekends = 5 hrs

Total = 50 hours

7. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Jan 5, 2007

I am a first year social studies teacher of 7th and 8th grade. I work 40-42 hours a week, including working through lunches and planning periods and 30 minutes before and after school. I think it's important not to burn myself out this first year- sometimes I feel like I'm not working enough, but I get everything done in 40-42 hours.

8. SCIENCE GUY

SCIENCE GUY Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

How many hours

I have been teaching 15 years:
    I currently teach:
    7th Grade Science
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Precalculus
    Calculus 1 semester and Physics second semester;

7 hrs 20 minutes (not counting Lunch) 36 hrs 40 min
    1 hr each day before school 5 hrs
    Weekends 6 hrs average

total of 47 hrs 40 minutes longer during grading period at end of quarter and semester

9. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jan 5, 2007

I work early in the morning and stay after school every day. So I work 9 hours a day.

9x5=45 hours..

if there are essays or exams (or I am just behind in grading) then I will go in on a Saturday for about 4-5 hours additionally, but I try not to do that often..

so- 45-50 hours per week. (HS English)

10. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jan 6, 2007

I teach middle school science and social studies 7th grade. This is my first year teaching. I feel like I never get my head above water. My life is always focused on teaching. It's as if I am spending my life learning the content that I'm teaching, and planning each lesson's notes, assignments, grading, etc. My class doesn't read from the book during class time which would make planning much easier, so I have to read the chapter we're studying, do other research so I know the material well enough to teach it, and make all of the necessary class notes, or activities we need for the next day. Any other new teachers in my same boat? Oh, and this is ON TOP of the endless meetings and district seminars that I go to! Plus I have BTSA which is what new teachers in California have to go through to get their clear credential.

1 hour before school X 5 = 5 hours/week
    3 hours after school grading, organizing X 5 = 15 hours/week
    4 hours each night for planning/making notes/learning content/labs= 20 hours per week (not to mention the money I spend on labs!).
    weekends: about 4 hours on the weekends.
    Grand total: 44 hours per week.
    Although with meetings and other school related stuff, I spend more close to 50 hours a week :eek: .
    I know that as the years go by the hours will go down as I will know the material more, so less planning and prep has to go into it. Plus my classroom management skills will have improved.

Plus I'm going to be starting on my science authorization where I have to take science classes at a college which entails homework and studying. I think I'm taking on too much right now. Not to mention every day is a struggle because of my poor classroom management skills. The kids are hard to get under control, so that also takes a toll on me

11. claudine2000

claudine2000 Rookie

Jan 6, 2007

Hate to bring this to your attention, but everyone else was including the school day in their total hours... so you're close to 80hr/week.
    Last year was my 1st year and I had a very similar schedule...I was usually at school from 7:40-6:45 (~60hrs/week) sometimes as late as 7:15 and still brought stuff home to work on. Granted when I was planning at home I was usually doing other things at the same time or would get distracted so it would take longer. Probably around 4-5hrs/night. Total of 80-85 hrs/week not including anything I did on the weekends. My whole life last year was work.
    BUT, there is hope. This year I'm usually there from 7:40-5:45ish (~50hrs/week). I then go home, relax watch some tv, eat... and then work for 2-3 hours. Total of 60-75hrs/week. Again not including the weekends, but I do less work on the weekends than I did last year too.
    Keep it up, it does get easier. :)

12. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jan 6, 2007

oops, I knew my hours seemed off lol. I forgot to put in my teaching hours. So yeah, then I spend about 90 hours a week total. I'm glad I'm not the only teacher who spent an insane amount of time on teaching. It may sound stressful, but I enjoy looking online or planning lessons trying to incorporate fun activities for the kids to do. The part i dread is grading,organizing, and classroom management. These three areas are what I need to work on the most.I am the most unorganized person, so it makes my job harder than it needs to be. I teach about 100 kids a day, so grading definitely sucks! Although HS teachers have more students than I do, so I really feel for you. And the kids are hard to get to stop talking so I can actually teach. I am going to start incorporating interactive notebooks, so I won't have as much daily stuff to grade. I will do periodic grade checks for homework where I walk around and stamp their homework based on completeness. Sometimes they will actually turn in homework for a grade.

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 8, 2007

So now that we see that most of us spend time outside of class working...Any ideas from the veteran teachers on what us newer teachers can do to keep the time spent working outside of work reasonable?

14. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

I'm not sure I'd call myself a veteran, but I have a few years under my belt. The good news is that you will be able to carry many things over from year to year with just a few minor adjustments. You will also become more efficient with experience; once you've planned three or four hundred lessons, you develop a feel for it. In the meantime, a few suggestions:

1. Put your students to work. Many assignments can be easily and quickly graded in class.
    2. Develop and use rubrics wherever possible, especially for writing assignments.
    3. There's no law that says you have to grade EVERY assignment. Likewise, no one is going to jump down your throat if you choose to grade some assignments for completion rather than accuracy.
    4. Although I don't much care for them, multiple choice tests can be grade much more quickly than short answer or essay tests. It can also be beneficial in this era of high stakes testing to give some tests in standardized format.

Hope this helps!

Gary

15. buckmeb

buckmeb Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

I am teaching for the first time, too--but part time. I'm just teaching 2 middle school math classes. I get paid for 10 hours a week, but am probably working 25 hours each week. But it's still a good job--I can put the "extra" hours in on my own schedule.

16. mrs_drg

mrs_drg New Member

Jan 8, 2007

Wow!!! All of you guys seem like you are doing soo much! I work a 7 hour school day everyday and I may do work at home on the weekends for 2 hours. I really utilize my planning periods during school to grade, make copies, prepare for the next day etc. I don't grade every assignment that comes on my desk. Some assignments that are given are graded by other students. Tests and quizzes I grade myself. I don't know, for whatever reason, I try to make my lessons and work load as least as possible. I am married and the mother of 3 young children, so when I get home my 2nd job begins. I also am taking classes for my master's degree twice per week. So my grand total is around 40 hours. At this point in my life I couldn't handle much more than that.

17. Neophyte

Neophyte Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

Wow, everyone. Thanks for the very detailed responses! In a sick and twisted way, I feel comforted about my decision to pursue high school teaching.

After subbing these last few months, I've been thinking that I could really , really , enjoy being a full time teacher. The one thing that most frightened me was the daunting number of hours spent outside the classroom. But you know, as much as the prospect of 60 hours a week seems incredibly unjust (given how much teachers are paid!) its not enough to deter me! In fact, it seems tolerable to do what you love.

Thanks alot. :)

18. SCIENCE GUY

SCIENCE GUY Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

Listen to Tiger Guy- In my HS math and science classes, the answer books are out so the student knows right away if they are doing the work correctly -- not waiting to the next day to see if they are on track -- I tell them that when they turn in the work, they are saying they know the stuff. Homework( really mostly classwork) is only 20 - 30% of their grade depending on the class. If they fix answers without understanding the problems the test will find them out. I just check to see if work is completed and really only grade tests and labs. I believe in the immediate feedback.

19. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jan 8, 2007

I teach 6th Grade English and Social Studies. I, too, am a first year teacher.

Teaching: 22 Hours/ Week
    Yard Duty: 5 Hours / Week
    Intervention (during the school day, like a pull out): 1 Hour/ Week
    After School: 1 Hour & 30 Min * 5= 11 Hours 25 Minutes
    Planning: 2 Hours/ Week
    Weekends: 4 Hours Total

I am working about 42 Hours a week, plus the tutoring I do after school for 2 days makes it about 45 Hours.

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 8, 2007

I am a veteran teacher and still spend amount of time on school. I try to come up with new lesson plans and activites every year and I will not use our crappy textbook; I refuse to be a textbook king. I also am very anal about the ways things are organized. I do however check off most homework and classwork assignments for credit (half/full/none), however I do grade about 1-2 assingments per week for accuracy on top of all the tests, projects, and quizzes.

21. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 9, 2007

What do you do if your students don't hand in their work or are absent when you collect it? This has been the most common/irritating problem I have had. I spend a great deal of time tracking kids down and grading/checking off old work

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 9, 2007

Don't chase them, give them the work,remind them once or twice and then it's their responsibility. What I do is when I'm walking around the room checking off the previouss night's homework, I also check off all makeup work. However, for makeup work I actually grade I have them put it right in my in box for that class with the words ABSENT ON _____ stamped on the top. I have a student helper stamp all assignments for absent kids on the day they are absent.

For daily work, that is checked off, I only accept late work the next day for 1/2 credit and I check it off when I am checking off the homework normall due that day. For assignments I choose to grade and projects, they loose 10% per day late.

The key is only collect something if you are only going to actually grade it. If you are going to check it off, you can do that while students are doing there warm-up or other assignment at the beginning of class.

23. mrsk

mrsk Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

I'm a first year middle school history teacher.

I get to school at 8 (sometimes 7:30) and leave around 4. With 1/2 hour lunch that is 7.5 x 5 = 37.5
    about an hour planning or grading at home a night = 5
    probably 2-3 hours on the weekend ( more of course, if they have writing activities or projects to grade)

So probably around 45-50 hours a week.

I also only grade about 2 items a week, not counting their interactive notebook, which I grade once a grade period.

24. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2007

I am also a first year teacher, I teach 9th grade History.

I am usually at school by 7:15- and don't leave until 4 pm. (I am .8 so I have 4th hour off, but I work then too!)

7:45-2:35 school day = 5 hrs 10 mins X5
    7:15-7:45 and 2:35-4 pm = about 2 hours X5
    After school planning about 2 hours per night X5
    Weekend work 6 hours
    Total=61 hours a week

Yikes, I need a nap after all that math!

25. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jan 10, 2007

I think if you REALLY KNOW your curriculum, then both grading and preparing for class take MUCH less time..
    what do you teach and how long have you taught for? One of my friends teaches hs history- pretty much the same classes for 12 years. She knows her material inside and out, and grading and prepping take VERY little time for her..

English, however, has TONS of essays to read.. that just takes time, it just DOES. Really no way around that. I know a teacher that has taught over 20 years that still has to go without sleep during final exam week to get all her essays read.

26. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Jan 15, 2007

Mr. Spanish, ESL, Coach, AHHH

I think I may be the most out of control. I dont know how I have come to this point but here is how much sleep I get:

It is better to calculate sleep rather than work because it is easier:
    Sleep: 4hours a night - no kidding. The rest is School Related Work.
    I coach JV girls basketball, practice 1:00 - 4:00 pm each day except for gamedays where you have to be there until 10:00 pm. We have games 2 times a week and we practice on saturday for 4 hours. ESL committee where I have tested students during my classes and I just give the students in my class busy work while I test ESL students. Three different levels of Spanish, Spanish II, and Spanish For Native Speakers I and II. Each class has about 30 students in them! If that isnt bad, then you must know that I live 30 mins away from the school too! School is from 7:00 am to 2:10. There are other committees that I am on but i honestly cant remember the name of them!! OUT OF CONTROL. MY wife is pregnant with our second child, our first is two, we all have the FLU (for four days now)!!!! I would say that most of my time is spent studying and lessonplanning but it is about 50/50 that and coaching! TO top it all off folks THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR OF TEACHING!! I have no where to go but up I hope. I hope it is not one of those things where it continually gets worse and busier and busier because I would burn out!

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2007

It does get a LOT easier!!!

This is year 21 teaching math, although my first one with 7th graders.

I'm in school from 7:30 till about 4 each day. Many of my department members have the same prep period as I do, so we grab some coffee or tea and a roll and all grade together. I give a quiz about twice a week, and manage to grade a class or 2 (out of 5) then. I also have an "on call" period right after lunch, so I can sometimes do another class or two then. So even on quiz days, I'm bringing home one or 2 classes, not 5.

I test every 2 weeks. I'm a big believer in getting them back ASAP, so that means one or 2 nights of serious grading after my own 3 kids are in bed.

As far as prep goes, that's where it gets easier. I do long term prep before the trimester begins: a list of the lessons, homework, any supplies they'll need (graph paper...) and anything else I need to remember. Normally this is done over the summer, but my prep was changed at the last minute this year. So I have the basics in front of me--sometimes I change them, sometimes not, depending on the kids. (For example, I just covered graphing. What I thought was a 2 day lesson turned into 4-- they just didn't get the concept as well as I thought they would. Other lessons I'll be able to condense. If I teach the same course again next year, I'll have a better idea of the timing.) That's wher you guys will be able to cut time next year-- you'll have your notes in order and be better ablet to predict the timeline and the trouble spots.

28. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Jan 15, 2007

I've definitely cut back my overtime. My first year I was staying until 6 or 7 for the first few months.

This definitely reflects the fact that this is my first year in five of having all the same preps:

Regular School Day: 7.5 Hours (counting lunch) * 5 = 37.5 hours
    Extra time before/after school: 1/2 hour on average, * 5 = 2.5 hours
    Extra time at night/on weekends: 2 hours a week

So at this point I am working @ 42 hour weeks (40 hours if you don't count lunch) with the occasional overtime to work on the school paper or grade my students' essays. When I have to do that, I can put in up to 20 hours in one weekend.

I have this weird schedule this year where instead of having a free period every day, I have two free periods every other day. I get all of my planning and copying done then, and a lot of grading. I also get grading done while my students are working on the paper.

29. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 15, 2007

CSET Science

After you get your clear credential couldn't you take one class and the SCience CSET to get a SCience athuorization? Terry G.

30. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 15, 2007

In the middle school, I taught seven 45-minute classes daily, grades 6, 7, and 8. I had one session of Advisor/Advisee daily, one 40-minute prep, and a 23-minute lunch. Most days, I subbed during the prep. I got to school around 7:15, classes began at 7:55 and ended at 3:20. (The elementary level below us began at 8:15 and ended at 2:50 but don't get me started. . . .) I left school around 5:00 or later, fixed supper, and started grading, planning, etc, usually at the table with my kids while they did their homework. Sometimes, my daughter helped me grade spelling tests. I carpooled a lot with other teachers who had kids, for parties, meets, etc. I sat through a lot of concerts, biddy basketball, t-ball, etc and worked, but if my kids were in something, I was there. After we were all in for the night, and everybody's (but me) work was done, I tucked in my kids and went back to the dining table to finish. I generally got to bed around one. It got easier after the kids grew up, but I took seriously every little thing we did in class, and if I assigned something, I graded it. Yes, it was hard. No, I don't think I overdid. That was my job.

Now, I have only five classes and I hardly know what to do with all this free time. Five very different subjects, but even so. There is probably less than an hour apiece of grading now. I've been getting a lot of wonderful reading done!

Not to mention posting here so everybody will know how heartless, cold, and unfeeling I am, making those poor little kids accountable for their own actions and all.

31. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 15, 2007

Mamacita, You would be heartless if you did not make the kids accountable. Terry G.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  32. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 15, 2007

. . . not according to some.

33. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

40 hours a week. Any work beyond that should require another teacher so that teachers do not feel like they have it worse than employees in other professions. The teacher should be able to work the room constantly while the kids are in class, always checking student work with a quick walk around so as to short-circuit the practicing of mistakes. Papers can be graded during prep.time. The work load is dependent teacher/student ratio. Hiring extra help should not be for lesson plans, grading papers, etc., because the author of the plans can best determine the next lesson by grading the papers, etc., all of which is the teacher's job.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

My contracted school day runs from 7 AM to 2:15 PM. That's 7 hours and 15 minutes, minus my 30-minute lunch. Let's just round it to 7 hours times 5 days = 35 hours per week. I do come in about 30 minutes early each day, so let's add another 2 and a half hours. Plus I sponsor a club, which is about 2 and a half hours per week.

Grand total: 40 hours per week.

I get all my lesson planning, grading, and prepping done during my prep periods except during rare events like being pulled from my prep to sub in another class. I rarely take work home with me--I feel like everything should be done on school time because I'm a much better teacher when I have a more rounded life.

I do spend a lot of time thinking about school and what we're going to be working on next.

35. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Seven Years American History ( Grade 7 on )
    7 Hour School Day X 5 days = 35 hours
    45 minute lunch X 5 days = About 4 hours
    35 - 4 = 31

1 hour after school X 3 days = 3 hours
    31 + 3 = 34

1 hour at home X 5 days = 5 hours
    34 + 5 = 39

4 hours on the weekend = 4 hours
    39 + 4 = 42

So I work about 42 hours a week.

36. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

7:15 - 3:05.

I coach and I consider that a second job, so my 3:30 - 7:00, my 18 hours on saturdays for tournaments, my 2 matches a week, etc doesn't count. I have spent 93 hours up doing school related stuff (coaching and teaching combined) and that was not doing ANYTHING on Sunday and the MLK Monday. I will never do that again.

While not coaching, I am out of there by no later than 3:30. i do not work on weekends or at home. If I can't plan for it, grade it, it doesn't need to be done. I don't grade everything, but the kids think I do. The daily practice is what's important.

37. MirandaMilan

MirandaMilan Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Like some of you, I enjoy searching for ideas and research on internet. I usually rearrange and supplement the text, and in the case of remedial classes, I tend to invent my own wheels as the text is rarely appropriate for the variety of needs in the class.

school day (I get a double-length planning every other day) 7.5 * 5
    before school - ha!! I don't do mornings, no matter how many times I say I will go in early.
    after school - about 3 hours * 5
    weekends - about 4 hours
    periodic "nearly all nighters" because I'm behind on grading: average another 8 hours every other week.

So - about 60.5
    - and I've been at this for 12 years. I've just moved around grade levels, texts, schools, and our district can't make up its mind, so I'm rarely re-using the same lessons, tests, etc. - plus, I always think I can do it better than I've done before, so I'm always updating.

That...and I'm really disorganized - no matter how many schedules and systems to which I try to adhere.

38. CAMathMom

CAMathMom Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I am aiming for 40 hours, but I'm not there yet.

I am constantly revising lessons, looking for activities, developing better supplements to the text and attempting to keep up with pedagogical research. Also, my prep period is used for making copies, contacting parents, committee meetings, updating my website and grades, meeting with my partner teachers, etc.

I'd say that I do most of my grading at home. My school day hours total 35 per week and after hours range from 10 - 20 depending on whether I gave tests, have meetings, etc.

I've been at this for 13 years, and have become increasingly organized. I am much more organized with my time now that I've got kids of my own and can't work at school 'til I'm finished.

39. alto1jr

alto1jr Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Regular time at school: 8:00-4:30= 42 1/2 hoursBefore school (at school): 1/2 hour= 2 1/2
    Planning after school: 1 hour x 5= 5 hours (sometimes more)
    Tutorial days twice a week: 2 hours
    Grading on weekends: 2 hours

Grand total of: 54 hours

40. alto1jr

alto1jr Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Left out some information

I am going into my third year of teaching English 1 (Pre-AP). I had to plan for so many hours before and after school due to graduate school. Another main reason for that was due to not having a set curriculum for 9th grade ELA and it being my first year teaching an advanced class. My hard work paid off, though. I managed to have 100% of my students (115 of them) pass the state Reading TAK exam and had around 42 of them with Commended Performance.:)

41. isomerismqueen

isomerismqueen Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Science Labs - Preventing "Accidents"

Science Teachers,

Do you allow students out of their seats during experiments?

This will be my second year to teach, but last year, I couldn't allow anyone out of their seats during labs because during a time when they had this privelege....they set my trash can on fire :)...by "accident"...

I would love to hear ideas on managing labs without an aide.

Thanks.