hs rewards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linzi, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

Jul 23, 2014

Hey fellow teachers :)

I use interactive notebooks, and I'm trying to think of anything I can to help motivate my groups. I am thinking about doing a page in the back of the notebook or maybe on the back inside cover that would give students a visual representation of what they are doing that will help them academically. I use fitbit and sometimes in iPod games they have what are called "badges" for certain achievements. I was thinking about making a printout with blank spaces where these "badges" would get earned/added throughout the semester. I'd like to fill it with things that reward them for things that will help them be successful in school and beyond. For example, a weekly "perfect attendance" badge (in my district attendance has been an issue for many students), a weekly "on-time assignment badge" as well as some others, like for every quiz/test that is a 90 or above, etc. These would really just be stickers filling up the blanks that are on the page, but it could give students a good visual representation of things they are doing that will help them in the long run and maybe for some students just give that little push to get that last homework assignment done on time.

2 questions for you all.

1. Is this a reasonable thing to do for high schoolers (10th graders, mainly)? I love earning achievement badges, but I really don't want it to come across as too childish.

2. If you think it would be a helpful tool, what other behaviors/habits would you give reinforcement for?

Thanks for reading :)

3. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

Stickers are great visual representations of positive behavior. My middle schoolers love them and, when I subbed, I have had high schoolers climb over each other to get stickers.

I teach middle school, so I have a rubric to show them what they need to do to get the best grade.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2014

I did sticker badges one year with my 7th graders and they loved them.

I, however, found the whole system to be far too daunting to ever want to do again. Keeping track of it all was nuts.

5. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

I use interactive notebooks with my high school math students. I designate a couple of pages in the front section for the "assignment tracker." I use a 5 subject notebook. The assignment tracker is used for homework or classwork assignments that I don't want to collect. We typically go over these assignments after the bell ringers. The stickers are an easy way for me to see if they are doing their homework. I count the stickers at the end of the six weeks and give the students a homework grade.

My seniors in high school love the stickers and they are constantly checking to see who has the most. My best decision was letting a student pass out the stickers. They think it's a reward to be able to pass out the stickers. Of course they are under strict rules to see the homework before giving over a sticker. I do think that you should make a reward for a certain number of stickers or give a grade. 10 = a free homework pass.

6. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 25, 2014

I love this idea!!! How would you keep track of everything?