HS/JH Paraprofessional Interview

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by daysy_may, Nov 10, 2005.

1. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 10, 2005

I'm so excited! I have an interview for a paraprofessional position working with the Special Education teacher in high school/junior high school. Just wondering if anyone had any tips/suggestions? Thanks in advance!

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 10, 2005

I just wish you good luck!!

4. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 11, 2005

Thank You! I let you know how it goes.

5. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 15, 2005

Well, tomorrow's the interview! I hope it goes well.

6. wannabeteach

wannabeteach Rookie

Nov 16, 2005

Ohh, I'm so excited for you!! Good luck! I'm a paraprofessional in a high school setting and LOVE it!

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 16, 2005

daysy may - So, how did it go?

8. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 17, 2005

Well, it was hard to tell, one of the first grade teachers that I've subbed for was interviewing me too, and I asked others later, and they said in an interview it's always hard to read those particular people. The Board meeting is tonight, so I will know first thing in the morning. :eek: The pay will be next to nothing, but good insurnace, and my foot REALLY in the door. They also said I could pay a little more to retirement, and my time being a para will count into my teacher's retirement. :D I REALLY REALLY hope I get it. The job starts Monday if I do!!!:p

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 17, 2005

Well, at least you won't have to wait long! I hope this works out for you!! :)

10. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 17, 2005

Thank you!

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 17, 2005

I hope you get it! Do they still call Middle school junior high out there?
    That is strange that a first grade teacher was there.
    What kinds of questiond did they ask you?

12. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 17, 2005

A few smaller schools tend to call Middle School "Junior High" here, come to think of it, the three schools I know off of the top of my head that call it that only have 7th and 8th grade at that level. The first grade teacher was there, because they said she is working on her masters in administration and that's part of her coursework? They only asked me about the student confidentiality question, which he was pleased with my answer, and about if I'd worked with that age group before. I really wonder if they do not have that many people applied for it.

13. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 18, 2005

Well,well,well,no suprise here, I didn't get the job. Actually, it is a suprise. They said there was no problems with my interview, that I actually intreviewed REALLY well, it's just they decided to hire someone else. I am SOOOOOO crushed, I REALLY need the insurance, they way things are going I might have to move back home. I've worked soooo hard for my independence and, arrrrgh, sorry for venting I just really felt SOOOOO sure about this. Now I'm beginning to doubt myself as a teacher, whether I should move on to another career, and I DO NOT know what that would be.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 18, 2005

daysy may - I am so sorry you didn't get the job. Is there a part-time job that would give you a steady paycheck with insurance benefits while you continue looking for a teaching job? What about moving to another area that has a teacher shortage?

Take some time to look at your options. Brainstorm and make a list. Have someone help you think what else you could do to achieve your goals. Good luck.

15. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 18, 2005

That's what I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to do. Find a job in a totally different field that would provide benefits while still looking for a teaching job. I just hope that not subbing will not hurt my chances, but money wise I really can't make it subbing. Sorry for venting, I really was just crushed about it.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 20, 2005

Don't worry Daysy May we dont' mind the venting. I feel for you. Last summer I thought for sure I would get a kindergarten position at the school I was a para at for two yrs. They hired two other people for the positions. They told me I didn't have enough experience. Well guess what I found out the other night that one of the girls had just graduated in MAY! How does she have more experience then me?
    I think all of us on here that can't find a job in a public school should open our own private schools.

17. TeachNAgain

TeachNAgain Rookie

Nov 23, 2005

I had a call from a principal this summer. They kept calling me to come in and interview. I went for two different interviews and knew it was between me and someone else. Then they must have hired the teacher who was already in a position at the other middle school b/c suddenly that principal was calling me. I didn't bother to interview and went to a school in a different system (the system I really wanted to teach in anyway) and love my new school and class.

Edited to add: Hope the right one falls into your lap. Keep looking but do what you have to do to survive in the meantime. Hang in there. Don't give up on finding the teacher's job you want.

18. jottobegood

jottobegood New Member

Dec 3, 2005

Just be yourself. Let your personality show through.
    Trust in yourself.
    you will be fine.