HS Grad Night

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ms. I, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 3, 2011

For all you HS teachers, where are the seniors going for grad night? Is it always an amusement park? How many teachers go to chaperone? Does anyone have any past outrageous stories? :)

Here in CA, it was Disneyland in Anaheim, CA, but I didn't go to mine when I was a student. My good friend moved halfway through senior yr & it wouldn't have been any fun without her.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 3, 2011

What's grad night? We don't have anything like that here!

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Mar 3, 2011

I've never heard of that either

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2011

Our kids (and my husband's school as well) goes to Disney World for 3 nights, but not for the Grad Night festivities. We intentionally avoid them.

When I was a Senior, it simply wasn't done. No one I know had any sort of a Senior trip.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2011

My home district does an all-night graduation party for students. The seniors spend the night in the school doing all sorts of fun activities. Every student leaves with cash prizes—my husband won five hundred dollars. At mine we had karaoke, all sorts of contests, one of those Velcro-suit-jumpy-things, those metal cage balls to roll around in like giant hamsters, pool games, free hair cuts, manicures...just a lot of fun. The community gives money to fund this project to ensure that at least on graduation night we're all safe.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2011

We do the Disneyland grad night--one thing I do NOT offer to chaperone! I love my seniors, but staying up all night at DL is not my idea of fun. The park is requiring new permission slips this year with very strict rules--no gum, no food, no school logo t-shirts, no clothing with a logo bigger than your fist.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2011

No gum? Why so strict? And the no school logos? Is this so others in the park won't know they are there without parents?

9. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Mar 3, 2011

It's probably to avoid any possible rivalries...

Big change from when I was in high school and went to DL grad night...we had to wear a suit and tie (and this was in the late 80's, not really THAT long ago)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2011

The gum rule is to prevent it from landing all over the rides and the paths; you can't buy gum in Disney for that reason.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2011

Oh, I thought the gum rule was only for high school students. That makes sense.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 3, 2011

the school where I teach doesn't do anything, but the school where I attended does a lock-in. Except it's a boarding school so it's not really all that special. Also, it's the night before graduation since after graduation everyone moves out of the dorm and goes home.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2011

They don't stop the general public from chewing it, you just can't buy it there.

But I think the perception is that the teens at grad night are only marginally supervised (as in "Check in with your chaperones at 2 am") so the rule makes sense in terms of keeping the parks clean.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2011

I went to one of the first grad nights in Fla at DW.
    We paid about 10 dollars total for the charter bus and
    the entry to Disney. It was fantastic. Riding that mono rail through a motel at night in 1973..........It was like science fiction.
    Ricky Nelson was one of the music acts that night.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2011

17. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

The high schools in my hometown don't have anything like that. Some small private schools have senior trips, but none of the public schools have anything of the sort.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 10, 2011

This is off topic from HS, but at the end of every year when I attended an elem private school, we had a swimming party at a studen'ts house. When I graduated from 6th grade, the end-of-the year outing was a week in Big Bear.

At the end of the year at another private school I attended for 7th gr, we went to some other similar place to Big Bear for a couple days.

19. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 17, 2011

This is how it is done where I am at too.