HS English: First day writing prompt

Discussion in 'High School' started by JerseyEnglish, Aug 20, 2007.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I will be teaching 12th grade English this year. It is my first year teaching and I was thinking of doing a writing prompt within the first week of school.

I wanted to assign the students to write a letter to themselves. In the letter they would discuss the goals they would like to accomplish this year, where they see themselves at the end of the year, what they plan to do with the lives, and how they plan to achieve their goals. Basically a letter telling me and them self: Who I am.

I would give them a few days to complete the assignment. They come to school on a Wednesday. I was planning on assigning the paper on Friday with prewriting, the weekend to do the draft, and hand in the final copy on Tuesday. It would be a minimum of 2 pages no more than 3.

I would see where they stand as writers. Also, this will allow them to start thinking critically and to create their own objectives. I would plan on holding their letters in their writing portfolios and they could read them at the end of the year. At the end of the year they would write a new letter to themselves. This way they will see how they grew as a writer and as a person.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2007

What a great assignment!

My one concern is that you're giving them too much time to complete the task. I'd be curious to see how well they write a letter on the fly--that will give you more insight as to their true writing abilities, I think.

4. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

That's a great idea.... I will defintely have them write it in a shorter period. Really get their brains going.