HS Emotionally Disturbed Class

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by deefreddy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Apr 2, 2014

I am currently teaching in a HS severely handicapped classroom. We work on some academics, community instruction, and life skills. I was told today by our newly hired sped director that she plans to move my class to another school site in the district. The new campus used to have an SH Life Skills class, but because it was so difficult to access places in the community and city buses, the site was closed. The campus is very inaccessible, and the principal has no concept of high expectations. He allowed the former teacher to run a side business DURING THE SCHOOL DAY! I am very sad about this because in addition to my classroom duties, I am the dept head, adviser on a couple of the biggest clubs on campus, and a coach. In addition, I am very connected to the school because my own children attend the school.

My principal suggested that I apply for the job posting as the teacher of the new ED class that is supposed to move into my classroom next fall. Any opinions?

3. bballjoe12

bballjoe12 Companion

Apr 2, 2014

I teach at an elementary with 2 ED elementary classrooms. All I can say is that from what I know, it's a VERY draining job. There's some tough kids to deal with in that room and it's only the elementary level. Some days in the room at our school, no academic work gets done because of the behaviors.

4. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Apr 2, 2014

It will be the second ED class at this HS also. I'm curious as to the thought process of putting so many ED kids on one campus? Our general educators who mainstream some of these students feel overwhelmed!