HS - do you prep during prep?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsRed, Jul 10, 2014.

1. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

High-school teachers: do you actually prep during your prep period, or do you always find yourself using that time for other things, such as grading, returning phone calls and emails, etc.? I make copies during my prep, but all of my actual lesson planning preparation happens at home.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2014

To me that is all prep work.

If you're asking whether I use my prep period for lesson planning, then the answer is sometimes but not most of the time. I usually write a week or two's worth of lesson plans in a single prep period.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2014

It really depends on who is off at the same time as me. I do grade and plan during my prep but we do not normally have our classrooms during our prep so there may be several people in the workroom. Some I can sit and quietly work with them there but there are others that we just goof off the whole period. I try to get copies done and my lesson plans written during one prep period. I normally do most of my grading on Sunday afternoon because to grade I have to concentrate and I cannot do that with others around.

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 11, 2014

Never. I'm pretty notorious for it in my department. :p This past year, I had a 2 hour chunk of time off in the middle of every day and I probably did a couple hours worth of work a week. As loud and enthusiastic of a teacher as I am, I'm actually very introverted. I need that time to just decompress and chill before my afternoon class. So I'd surf the web, wander around and talk to people, work on stuff for the drama club, clean my room, whatever. I do my best work (grading/planning) at home and since I don't have kids, I have plenty of free evening time. How little I work AT work became a bit of a running joke. :)

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 11, 2014

I do some, but like HistoryVA, my "introvertness" requires decompression. I do some housekeeping items, get organized for the afternoon, and then usually talk to my next door colleague (about English topics, class topics, etc).

I guess all of that is considered planning, though.

7. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

Last year I had prep 1st period. Usually I used that time to make copies and get ready for the day--when I was not subbed out. I make 2-3 weeks of plans at a time after school-rarely on the weekend.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 11, 2014

Sometimes--maybe 60% of the time. Because of the uniqueness of our schedule, our entire staff is off at the same time (our kids leave 45 minutes before their home campus counterparts so that the buses can get them back there). With everyone off at the same time, we tend to socialize a lot. Lol!

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 11, 2014

Yes, I do a lot of my planning during my prep. I also do some while my kids are working. Fridays are usually vocab quizzes or independent reading, so I could write my plans then. They usually take me 10 minutes total for all three courses. Grading I do as I get the time. Emails I respond to as they come in.

10. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jul 11, 2014

I agree with all the above. My prep time includes everything mentioned above. I actually can focus and concentrate better when everyone is gone at the end of the day so sometimes I will use portions of my planning period to just listen to music and read (or decompress as others have said).

11. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

I too believe that grading is part of prep work - you can see if students understood concepts and can alter your lessons to ensure that they do grasp what they didn't the first time. Last year I would have PLC meetings twice a week (I taught two subjects), sometimes a grade level meeting, so there would be weeks that I would only have two prep periods to try to get all my grading done. Like others, I used that prep period to decompress at times because the last class of the day was just brutal, behavior wise.

This year, I have planning/prep in the morning, 2nd period. I hated that a couple of years ago, but I will make do. I suppose I could use the time to see what didn't go well 1st period and make changes for the rest of the day :)

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

I use my plan to plan, make copies, run errands/drop things off, call parents, grade/enter grades, etc. In fact, I would rather use my lunch to get things done than to have to stay after school.

I'm not one for staying after my contract time unless I have to (Coach Class or meeting).

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

ITA. I try to get as much done when kids are working independently and I try to answer emails ASAP.

14. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 11, 2014

My prep time is the first hour of the morning. One day a week, I make copies for the next week.

Other days I grade and spend about 20 minutes reading various news sites (both celebrity and actual news).

And I get everything ready for the day-open up websites and presentations, get any handouts ready, etc.

15. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jul 18, 2014

The fact that some of you mention writing a week (or two) worth of lesson plans in one prep period is so reassuring to hear. I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone, but I'll be starting my first year this year and a it's nice to know it may become easier and less time consuming...eventually ;)

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 18, 2014

It does. If you are teaching the same course you've taught before you only need to modify plans, not create them. And you can often use activities for multiple courses just by changing out vocab, problems, etc.