HS computer class

Discussion in 'High School' started by mykids1, Jul 29, 2009.

1. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Hi all,

I have an interview Friday for a high school technology teacher position - computers. I've been an elementary TA for the past 5 years. Can anyone tell me what is taught in computers at the high school level? Esp. if you are from New York State.

TIA!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

I am not from NY but thought I would offer what is taught in a computer class in my high school. All our digital communciation courses are taught through the business dept. This class teaches all programs such as excel, word, power point, publisher and I am sure lots of others I can't think of. They also learn how to interface with a computer, digital cameras, voice recog. equipment, PDA's and again lots of other equipment. IMO, this is one of the most useful and practical courses we offer. I continue to be amazed with this high tech generation that can't seem to use simple software programs like powerpoint, publisher and word. They can text like maniacs, facebook and myspace like fiends but seem to be lacking when it comes to using computers for educational purposes.

This class also created and publishes programs for the drama dept., band and music dept and sports events.

4. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

That is very interesting. I was wondering and thought that these students who have been exposed to publisher, word, powerpoint would be experts!

Thanks!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 29, 2009

From my experience, they are not. I do a lot in my World History class that requires students to present information in powerpoint, publisher, and word and every year I am amazed at how many of them do not know how to use these programs. I can always tell those students that have had DCT because their work is stunning :) I also began noticing a lack of computer skills in my high schoolers about 6 years ago and I am sure it is directly related to how much testing goes on in the lower grades and there just isn't any time for "extra" classes like computers.

6. SSA

SSA Companion

Aug 8, 2009

I am NOT shocked at all. Kids aren't born knowing how to do virtually anything. Technology isn't innate to them. It is just something that they grew up with more exposure. The only difference between kids and adults is that kids within reason aren't afraid of doing something wrong. Adults on the other hand tend to get frustrated very easily. I remember studying a foreign language in college and that was one of the big factors that the instructor noted held back adults from learning a language.

My bigger concern is that a lot of teens have little opportunity to learn IT and computer science concepts. Basic knowledge of using a web browser, a spreadsheet, and a word processor is nice, but even in the post dot-com bust I think we are doing students a disservice by not even giving them a chance to take courses an academic comp sci course or at least a vocational IT course. Even a course for the general high school student should teach students some basic IT concepts. I have encountered HS kids who can't set up an email client, which is pretty sad.

Warp back to the 1983 when a Nation at Risk came out. One of the recommendations was: requiring one semester of computer science for HS graduation. Guess how many high schools that aren't a technology magnet have a computer science requirement for graduation: virtually none. If anything I think that a lot of schools have became LESS tech saavy in some respects. AP Computer Science courses have gone in decline so much that the AP comp sci AB exam was discontinued.

7. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I teach computers in yes, we teach all of the Office suite. But, rather than just teaching how to use the programs, we teach how to use them effectively...so, for PowerPoint, we focus more on how to create and DELIVER an effective powerpoint presentation, not just how to put in animations, sounds, transitions, etc...they know how to do that. But, making a logical argument, putting the right amount and type of text on a slide, how to use pictures effectively, how to speak clearly, etc, are all tools that we practice extensively.

For Word, I teach them how to write EFFECTIVE business letters...how to be clear and concise, and how to ask for what you want. We teach memo format too, but the main analogy we make there is to compare it to an email...how to be clear, concise, and not use any emoticons...use your words to get your point across...it's a valuable lesson and something that makes this course worthwhile...

Did you get the job?

8. schooby

schooby New Member

Aug 23, 2009

I teach 3 classes (some are 1 semester) -
    - Keyboarding to Freshmen (trying to get principal to give proficiency test, but most of my kids are at 15 - 18 wpm)
    - Computer Technology
    - Desktop Publishing - Microsoft Publisher 2007
    - Computer Applications - MS Office 2007 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
    - MultiMedia - everything from image manipulation to 2D animation, 3D animation, movie making, video game design

I teach at a private school that specializes in dyslexic students, so they go a little slower because of individualized instruction for about half the class.

You may want to look at your state's Dept of Education website for guidance on what choices you have to teach. I was able to expand my school's selection of classes with just a few minutes of research.