HS Closed because of flu reopening

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. K., May 4, 2009.

1. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 4, 2009

This afternoon we got word that one of the other two high schools in my district has a suspected case of H1N1 flu, and according to CDC protocols, it's being closed until next Monday. This is an especially nasty situation, because today was the first day of AP testing, and that school's prom is Saturday night. Our district office is being swamped with calls, as you can imagine! :dizzy:

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 4, 2009

The district in my town has the same problem. Their prom is postponed until the end of the month and AP tests and all athletic competition. I feel sorry for the kids, it's not their fault. I hope the limo, tux, and flower companies are understanding about them having to change dates!!

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 4, 2009

I think it's all so silly. Just today I saw an article about how this flu is no more dangerous that a typical seasonal flu.

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 5, 2009

I agree. Is there something they are not telling us? It seems mild and we never close down for the typical flu.

6. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

May 5, 2009

I don't think it's the fact that it's more dangerous than the regular old flu, it's that our body has not been exposed to this strain before so we don't have any natural immunities built up for it. Therefore, it could potentially spread like wildfire. Imagine if 40-50% of the population had the flu, it could be devastating. WHO and the CDC are just trying to contain this strain so it doesn't spread rapidly through the population. Schools just happen to be the one place where germs succeed in infecting anyone within close contact (like we didn't know that already) and therefore should be on stricter regulations.

Personally, I believe that cases should be confirmed and there should be more than just one case before you close a school, but that's the guidelines they put in place so that's what needs to be followed. Very frustrating for students and teachers (we've had several districts and schools close down in our area, one is very close to my district, stay away stupid flu bug!!)

:mad:

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 5, 2009

A district near me postponed their prom for their 3 HSs. I was talking to a principal and she was saying that even when they had only 80% of the student population during flu season they didn't shut down. We haven't had any cases, but a few districts around us have.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 5, 2009

The new protocols from the CDC came out today, and they no longer recommend closing a school for a small number of cases - like one. The high school is reopening tomorrow. Such drama...

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

May 5, 2009

My concern is this: if the HS are closed, it isn't as if the kids are going to sit at home and twiddle their thumbs. They are going to be out at the malls, theaters, fast food places, etc. Seems to me as though being in the schools is going to be "cleaner" in the long run--the teachers can push the sanitizer, push them washing their hands, etc. Whereas when they are just hanging out, they don't necessarily think of it.