HR question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nasimi77, May 7, 2011.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 7, 2011

I was recently recommended for an art teaching position by the principal where I interviewed at about 2 weeks ago. I am currently under contract (which will end this month) for my 4th grade teaching position. I am very interested in this art position, but here's my question/dilema. I just recently got my NEW 4th grade contract and as of yet Human Resources has not contacted me to officially offer me the art job. I e-mailed the principal a few days ago and asked about an update and he said "it takes awhile, sometimes a couple of weeks". I know they still have to do background checks and all, but a couple of weeks maybe? That just seems like a long time to me. I have until May 25th to sign my current 4th grade contract, but I really want the art job if it's meant to be. Just wondering if anybody else has similar HR stories where they take a long time. Normally 2 weeks wouldn't matter, but I just don't want to let the contract deadline run out on my current offer...because at the end of the day, a job is a job! Thanks for your responses! :cool:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

HR can take awhile. This is mostly because the job needs to get approval by the school board (that only meets every few weeks) and they need to receive your fingerprinting/background check information, which can take a few weeks as well---depending on the company and if they want local, state, and federal background checks.

You have until May 25th---wait until the last possible day to sign your contract and turn it in. Hopefully, you will hear something before then.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 7, 2011

Mopar: Thanks for the explanation. I didn't even think of some of that stuff....makes sense though! :) I appreciate it. I tell you waiting is just NO fun!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

No it's not fun. But it will pay off and you have time.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

Could you tell the principal at the prospective art job that you are on a timeline in regards to your current employment? Express that you are most interested and hopeful about this new job prospect...

7. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 7, 2011

My personal inclination would be too avoid this as it seems a little pushy and may start you off on the wrong foot. The principal has already done their part (in recommending you as a candidate) and they can't really control how long HR takes to process things.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 7, 2011

Dave: I agree. I had originally thought of doing this, but I too thought it just seemed too pushy, since the P has already recommended me for the position. I'm going to see how things go this week and if I still don't hear anything, I may just send another e-mail mentioning that I have not heard anything yet and would like to know since I am indeed interested, etc.

9. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 7, 2011

Don't mean to change the subject; How are things in Arizona?

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

Hmmm....we've had candidates who were in a similar position...knowing they were under a time crunch got our board office to move a bit quicker...but do what makes you most comfortable. Good luck.

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 7, 2011

No prob. They are great. SO glad I moved out of California! More job opportunities for me here than I ever had in SoCal. I got tired of the red tape, not to mention the high cost of living.

12. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 7, 2011

czacza...the thing is...this Principal does know that I am currently working and under a time crunch. As I said, if I don't hear anything in a few more days, i will be e-mailing him again mentioning that very thing, that I'm under a time crunch. I appreciate your advice! :)

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

Give him a week or so...then let him know that you have a deadline to turn in your new contract for the next year.

14. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 7, 2011

mopar: Yeah...that is really what I have been thinking all along. Since his response said "maybe a couple of weeks" I figure I'll meet him halfway and if after no response in 1 week then I can respond with my concerns about a timeline.

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 7, 2011

Don't mean to continue the subject change (sorry :blush:) but, really??? I live in SoCal, and although I had already planned on applying all over the state (since, as you probably know, there are NO jobs in SoCal for elementary), I had ruled out AZ. I've read a lot of comments on this board that indicate teaching there is worse than teaching in CA - weak unions, low salaries compared to cost of living, etc. Has that not been your experience? This makes be very hopeful, because moving to AZ would not be a big deal - closer to where I live now than some parts of CA are.

Thanks for any info...and I'm sorry to hijack your thread. You can PM me if you'd rather.

and, p.s. The high cost of living is driving me NUTS as well!!! :dizzy:

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 7, 2011

Not a prob...I just sent you a PM. :)

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 15, 2011

Job Update

I just wanted to say that I actually got an offer to teach art (K-8th) within my own school district! :D I STILL had not heard from the other school district, and in the meantime my current principal told me about this transfer opportunity that opened up. Since my district has better resources and budget for art educators, I decided to go for it! Not to mention it means I can stay in my same district, which I like. Just wanted to share the good news! VERY excited, and a little nervous too. This will be a BIG change, but I am ready for the challenge! Thanks to you all for your encouragement and advice! Enjoy the rest of your weekends!:)

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 15, 2011

Congratulations!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

Congrats!!!

20. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 15, 2011

kangaroo22 and stg: thank you! :)