HR doozies

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ciounoi, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Dec 7, 2012

I recently interviewed for a position with the organization I work for as a daily substitute. During the interview, I asked if they needed a copy of my resume. They said no, they had one.... and then they pulled out a copy of my resume I had used to apply for the position as a daily substitute five years ago!

That got me thinking... what exactly was in my application file?

I called HR to let them know that the information they had provided my interviewers for the position was not.... uh, current. I have sent them numerous resumes and had no idea what happened. I got an interesting response. Apparently, my file contained:

-My application packet from five years ago for daily substituting
    -An application packet from two years ago for any open teachers positions
    -Reference letters from the application packet from two years ago

My file did not contain:

-Any of the materials that I have been sending for the past year and a half to update my file (updated resumes, letters of reference, etc.)
    -The all-important letters of reference from my LTS supervisors
    -Any mention of the fact that I completed two LTS assignments last year and had absolutely glowing reviews

So I got everything sorted out, sent a new application packet into HR, and smacked my head on the concrete a couple dozen times. Now at least I know why I was never even offered an interview for a position last summer... they didn't know who I was!! :banghead:

I think this little episode really underscores the importance of making sure that all of your paperwork has been submitted and is in proper order. Of course, there's really no reason that I should have been worried about it, I couldn't have known, but let it be a lesson to me. :rolleyes:

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Dec 7, 2012

Lesson learned.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

Oh my! Glad you got it figured out.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 8, 2012

It's an important life lesson and one I learned the hard way, too. I signed up to sub at the school I student taught at. I didn't receive any calls for the first 6 weeks, despite hearing they were short on subs. Finally I found out the school hadn't received any of my paperwork from the HR office. A quick phone call changed that and soon I was raking in the jobs.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2012

That's ridiculous on the HR's office part!