HP and the Half Blood Prince Movie

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Kat53, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 26, 2009

The other HP thread reminded me, the movie is out in a couple of weeks!!! The trailer looks really good. I like how cool the scene looks with Harry and Dumbledore standing on the rock in the ocean before they go in the cave. It also looks like there will be some funny parts.
    I'm curious to see how they do the tower scene with Dumbledore, Draco and Snape. That will be sad.
    Who else is seeing it the day it comes out?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2009

I guess I will!!! I love the books, but have been a bit disappointed with the movies. The last movie that came out was based on my favorite HP book, but I was very disappointed with the movie. So, I wish I was more excited. Haven't seen the trailers yet.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 26, 2009

I'll be there day one if at all possible. I am rereading the books (and being reminded how much is left out!) I love the series!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 26, 2009

I haven't seen the last movie. I will have to rent it before the Half-blood Prince comes out. It will be in IMAX theaters!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 26, 2009

I will be at the IMAX showing on July 15th at midnight. :)

I'm a redhead, so I think I'm going to dress as "epilogue Ginny". Haha!

7. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jun 26, 2009

I will be going the day it comes out! I can't wait. The trailers look really good!

8. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jun 26, 2009

I wish I could see it shortly after it comes out, but that is right around my due date, so I seriously doubt I will be in any condition to go to the movies for a while. :) I am dying to see it, though!!

9. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jun 26, 2009

Now that I think about it, the same thing happened last time ... when the 5th movie came out, it was right after my daughter was born. Hmm....

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2009

I'm going to try to get my dh to see it the night it comes out.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 26, 2009

So I guess there's two more babies in the works? Though you'd have to get pregnant again right away, then right away again and have the 4th one early.....hmmmmm

So, I was supposed to go see it at midnight on the day it comes out, but I'm moved unexpectedly and my date is 700 miles away :(. We'll see what happens.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2009

BTW, when is it coming out?

13. smalltowngal

Jun 26, 2009

July 15th

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

15. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jun 26, 2009

:lol:
    No... this is it. We've only ever talked about having two, and this is the second. That's enough for me!

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

Midnight showing for me :) I have made the midnight showing for the last three movies - one of them was even during the school week and boy was I tired the next day :) of course I love the books more. My friend and I re-read all of them after the last book looking for the clues that JK said were through out the book. There were lots of them and they were fun to find.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 29, 2009

What kind of clues???

I have read each and every book as soon as it came out (some of them came out a LONG time ago) so I think I've forgotten a lot of what happens in some of them LOL

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I can't remember any of them right now off the top of my head :confused: sorry but if I remember correctly, my friend did a google search to find something to go by. Remember the talk JK had when she revealed the Dumbledore was homosexual . . . well during the talk she also implied there were several clues along the way to lead up to the information and she had included several clues along the way leading up to the way her story would end. My friend, I think, did a google search because we did have something we referred to why we were reading. All of this is on my school computer - so I will check later this month.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 29, 2009

Literary Analysis topic:

What does the prophecy really imply when it says "and each must die at the hand of the other, for neither can live while the other survives". What is she foreshadowing? Can you predict the eventual end by this statement? Which is more important; the first half or the second half of the statement?

20. smalltowngal

Jun 29, 2009

But Harry DOES live!

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 29, 2009

I just reread book 6 to get ready for the movie. I'm so glad that I did! There were tons of little details that I had completely forgotten. Then I got hooked all over again and reread 7, too. Now I've forgotten some of 6 again. LOL. It's a nasty cycle.

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

But he dies, too. lol

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

For the last one, I just thought there was so much to cover that they buzzed through the whole thing. I remember telling someone that I felt like I was watching a movie with a remote control in my hand, and I kept hitting fast forward every 5 minutes. It just kept skipping skipping skipping to the end with no build up.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 29, 2009

Exactly... so analyze the prophesy with regards to the eventual ending. The prophesy clearly states that "either must die at the hand of the other". So in book 5, we can clearly see the end. Harry must die, and Voldemort must do it, but Voldemort must die as well and Harry must be the one to kill him. So, now, the important thing becomes who kills who first, because that will determine who lives in the end. Oh, and can we see the Christianity theme in all of that as well? Harry dies to protect his people, who, because of his sacrifice, can no longer be harmed by Voldemort.

Sorry, I can analyze Harry Potter all day long and never get bored.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2009

And is resurrected to live again.

The theme of sacrifice to save others occurs quiet a bit in literature, including in The Bible.

26. smalltowngal

Jun 29, 2009

I guess I'm going to have to start reading the book 6 and 7 again.