How's your teacher website working for you?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by applecore, May 20, 2016.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 20, 2016

I'm thinking of attempting to start a website for parents to access information through a school district approved one, but I'm wondering about the time and effort to keep it up.

For those of you with a teacher website, how's that working for you?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 20, 2016

I find it helpful. I can't guarantee that all parents go to it, but I think most do. I use Google Sites. It really isn't that time consuming after the initial set up. I create a newsletter each week (as a Google Doc), and then add that document to my site's homepage. The other pages don't need updating as often (monthly calendar, photos, etc.).

applecore likes this.
  4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 21, 2016

We have learning management system that includes classroom web-sites within it for parents to access. I'm not sure how many actually use it though. On top of that we have Google classroom for students in grades 5 and 6. I teach 8 classes, so I end up having to update 12 different areas throughout my week - 8 classes within LMS and 4 classes within Google classroom. Shoot me please...

We use to just have Google sites, which I loved - one site for all of my grades. So much easier and less tech issues than what I'm having with the current LMS (took me 5 tries to finally post one homework assignment yesterday).

It can be super duper useful - I love Google classroom since it will make copies of Google "stuff" (docs, slides, etc) for each student, but parents will get upset if I forget to post homework for one night. It's time consuming and if I don't do the major work on it over the summer, it never really gets off the ground for me. I tend to use my after school time (3:00 to 3:30) to update everything that I need to before I leave school since during the school day I'm too busy.

applecore likes this.
  5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 21, 2016

You might want to try slides out for that too. I was doing a "Peek at our Week" with slides and each day I posted the activity and homework. It can be set to automatically play when it's embedded into the site.

applecore likes this.
  6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 21, 2016

I have a site on Weebly which I use mainly to put helpful links on (like when I make a Cram or Qiozlet for a test) and will sometimes put classroom handouts on too. If I show a video clip in class I'll add that in too (I teach Social Studies so I might show a 3-8 minute video clip on a specific topic like Greek democracy). I use the district webpage for my homework as that's where parents are told to check in. I find Weebly easy to use and it's free. What works well for me too is that I don't feel I have to update it more than I want to. If I don't make a class handout available on it, no biggie.

applecore and PallasAthena like this.
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 21, 2016

We are required to use a Haiku site, and it works pretty well, especially once kids are used to signing into it. I put up plenty of documents there (i.e. newsletters, spelling lists in case they lose them, extension math problem solving I've developed), discussion boards/polls for students to have interactive discussions while practicing writing, links to a variety of resources (Khan Academy links related to the current math unit, commonly used sites such as IXL, AR, etc...) , and it's a place I can put pictures and information about current curriculum work, too.

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 22, 2016

We do not have a website but we are required to have a blog that we update 2 times a month. I update my regularly and put all documents on the site that I possibly can. It is super easy to use. My only problem is probably only half of my parents actually read it. I get questions that I have answered on the blog all the time. But I guess that happens right.

applecore likes this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 22, 2016

I have a website on weebly. It's incredibly helpful, since I can respond to many emails with "The file is on my website" instead of answering the same questions over and over. It's very easy to maintain.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 23, 2016

I also use Weebly, but link lots of Google docs to it (handouts, assignments). I also have a link to a Google Doc calendar (not a Google calendar, but a regular doc that I uploaded to Google Drive). I linked to it once, and since it is a live doc, any time I edit my calendar, it is instantly updated on my website. I add all the assignments and due dates, test dates, etc. It was relatively easy to set up, and has eliminated the whole "I was absent, what did I miss?" routine!

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 23, 2016

Ditto.

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 25, 2016

Thank you for sharing. That's one website we're allowed to use as well. I'm thinking it's a great asset. We have to much to share with parents that I always feel like I'm killing trees.

13. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 25, 2016

Thank you all for your amazing help and information.

I'm definitely going to give Weebly a peak and see if it's something I can use for the school district; we have a very tight rein on what's allowed on the internet. We have approval to use the Google website, so if Weebly is a safe one to use, I'll be super excited!

Thanks again!

14. BreezyGirl

BreezyGirl Companion

Jul 10, 2016

I love Weebly. And, Weebly for Education allows student sites. :)

I had a class website last year, but found it was not being used. I spent more time updating it than it was being visited. This year, I will do a classroom blog using Weebly for Education and will do an email newsletter with important dates and information. The blog will be used to highlight what we are doing in the classroom.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2016

I've found websites useless in terms of parents. Unless it makes their phone beep or ding whenever it's updated, they never look at it. What I've been doing is sending out a daily e-blast for homework and class information.

My website used at a list of links for kids to use when they go to the computer lab.

Pashtun and talknteach like this.
  16. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jul 10, 2016

My parents never used my website unless they needed the spelling/ vocabulary list early (I put the words up on Friday for the following week) or lost the words midweek. That's it.

17. christie

christie Rookie

Jul 11, 2016

I use Edublogs. The thing I like about it is that parents can sign up to have all of my posts delivered to their inbox, so they didn't have to the website. They could, and there were plenty of links, and a calendar, etc, but they liked the email option. I updated it daily, so they got an email daily.

otterpop likes this.
  18. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 12, 2016

That's neat. Do parents have to sign up, or would there be a way for the teacher to add their emails?

19. christie

christie Rookie

Jul 17, 2016

If a parent gives me their email address, I can sign them up. I can unsubscribe them - I write a post when I go back telling parents to email me if they'd like me to unsubscribe them.

20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2016

I just stopped trying and simply created a class Facebook page. Many warned me (blah blah) about it, but I know teachers who do have one and it's not an issue. It wasn't. A lot of parents were already on FB anyway so they could simply "like" the page and be involved. And I told the parents that didn't have one, you can still just load up the page and see what's going on. You don't HAVE to sign up. I didn't have any parents trying to find any of my personal stuff or any weirdness like that. My personal account is locked down anyway.
    Super easy!
    :D

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2016

I've created Facebook groups. Parents have to join and I approve them. I make one for each school year. I'm starting to get better response than from email.