How's your relationship w/admin?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Nov 18, 2017

He is like one of those slimy pols you see on TV - in other words a complete phoney. Married to his HS sweetheart, but obviously you know what. And we all know about his dirty laundry - or swimwear fetish in this case. A Google search reveals he had to resign his last post for making inappropriate remarks such as telling a male employee he should take his shirt off. Obviously, the school board thought that was okay.

2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 19, 2017

This is more than mildly disturbing...

3. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Nov 19, 2017

If we were to copy this list and show it around, minus the first paragraph, how many teachers out of all teachers in America would assume this referred to their own school.

Most?

Every single word describes only the least troubling aspects of my school.

4. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Nov 19, 2017

1000%

5. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Nov 19, 2017

When I just came out of college 10 years ago I was an enthusiastic graduate thinking that I would soon find “My place” to teach. My very first job, as a mom with a 2 year old was teaching 2-3 year olds at a YMCA preschool at an AFFLUENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD. At that time I didn't pay attention to the last words, I didn't know how important those words were.

After a year of enthusiastic teaching, (and I loved teaching at preschool! ) my principal sadly told me that I'm great with kids, she would really love to keep me, but… but parents…. I'm not good with parents, I don't smile big enough. Hey, my friend put it well, Anna, you weren't fake enough. That's it!! For an affluential neighborhood they needed someone who smiled big and wide and ONLY told parents good things about their kids.

You know what I think. I think my director could've talked to me , find out a little bit about my background. Understand that in my culture (post Soviet Union) it's not a norm to always smile big and only say good things. And I think she could very well tell parents that it's a cultural difference and that they are giving me second year of probation.

However, as I was explained later, in an affluential schools it's not the principals (directors) who are in charge, it's the parents. Crazy, in my opinion!

6. RichardASarber

RichardASarber Rookie

Nov 19, 2017

Not bad at all. With my principal, we don't avoid each other, but it's very "hands off". We're both on good terms with each other though.
    For my assistant principal, we're a bit closer, still pretty hands off though.

7. Been There

Been There Habitué

Nov 19, 2017

Just curious - what exactly has made it a tough year for your administrators?

8. Numberspell

Numberspell Rookie

Nov 22, 2017

Don't read too much into it. Also a parent's viewpoint is completely different as they are not privy to all the inner workings and dealings of schools, nor should they be.

I don't go to my dentist's office and tell one hygienist that she is better or wose than the other hygienist.

In so many words, don't let people get to you. Focus on your positive working relationships and ignore all the other baloney.

9. MyMothersDaughtersBrother

MyMothersDaughtersBrother Rookie

Dec 31, 2017

I'm likely to quit! Most principals like me for some reason and in fact seem to have the attitude that if this teacher (me, MyMothersDaughtersBrother) can do it, then others should. Sorry. But with some principals it makes me so uncomfortable and when one is unreasonable, I feel better to quit my job. Well, I admit, I've been a fish out of water in many places. I've tried to get back to civilization many times, but a lot of it has been uncomfortable. But when I leave, I do try to support the teachers.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 31, 2017

Right now I'm a little more annoyed with my admin than usual. My principal is annoyed with a new science teacher I'm supposed to be mentoring. Instead of listening to my requests that he let me work more on helping him with his job performance, he's listed the teacher's job. I'm so mad I don't want to go back to work on Wednesday.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2017

I get along well with my admin, although better with some than others. I chalk that up to personalities. I interact the most with those who have the most "open door policy", since they are the most approachable. I prefer quick resolutions to items that start minor, but which can escalate quickly if ignored. I have some that I only communicate via email to have a paper trail of precisely what was said, while others can answer my questions in a few words, and we are all on the same train of thought, so less formal, but just as useful.

I work with some teachers that are standoffish with all admin, distrusting and skeptical of anything that is said or done. I tend to trust until it is proven that I shouldn't be so trusting (the one I only email). I greatly desire that things be straightforward, but know that there are some politics at times that can make it hard to trust 100%. We shed some admin 2 years ago that was a blessing, and that replacement is a true gift. Even between my best work friend and my self there are different feelings and degrees of satisfaction. I go with the understanding that I can never completely see through other's eyes because I haven't lived their lives.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2017

You said in another thread that you were retired?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. MathTeacher1982

MathTeacher1982 New Member

Jan 1, 2018

Mostly okay, my principal has admitted a problem with depression, grew up with two parents that were alcoholics. So at least I can understand where she comes from and have empathy for some mishaps. Supports me now after 4 years in the same school. Overall, I think she is awesome.

14. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jan 2, 2018

Avoid! I really just try to stay out of the way. Our P can be nice, but he doesn't really listen if anyone disagrees with him. I guess the thing that bothers me is that he doesn't care about academics at all. Our instructional time is constantly interrupted by ridiculous time wasting things. However, unlike past admin., he also doesn't care much about test scores.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2018

I have the complete opposite. Most of the fun things for both students and staff have been slowly taken away until the very end of the year when testing is done. Ours is all about the numbers and could care less about the whole child. She has very high expectations for both staff and students. I wish that we could find a happy medium between the two of these extremes.

Mshope2012 likes this.
  16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 3, 2018

UPDATE! For some reason, my gut was to wait and talk with the principal before talking with the teacher in question, and I'm glad I did. He swore that he is NOT planning on getting rid of the science teacher, but that he wants resumes on file if the PIP fails by the end of the school year. He wants me to continue mentoring as best I can, but he cautioned me not to put this teacher's success or failure on my own shoulders.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2018

That's good news indeed, cat.

(Don't forget to breathe, please.)

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 3, 2018

I know, respond, don't REACT.

19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 4, 2018

Excellent! This is fantastic news. I’m glad it all worked out.

20. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jan 6, 2018

I don't think anyone wants to go back!