How's your district coping?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ELA 11 12, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Jan 14, 2009

The first round of cuts has been placed on the chopping block:

11 positions. 7 by attrition, 4 current positions.

District is realistically expecting 1 million in cuts from state funding. Teachers have been told that they most likely will not have positions next year and might consider looking.

Our HS ELA program was solid because of our reading teachers, but one is being cut which is essentially pulling the hub out of our wheel...we feel terrible for the students...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2009

I haven't heard of any cuts going on in my district. In fact, I just got offered a job as a tutor making $22/hr for 6 hours, 3 days a week. So my district isn't hurting.

I feel so bad for those that are facing cuts.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2009

Any district with administrators who've got a lick of sense will be announcing foreseeable worst-case scenarios right now, rather than optimistic projections.

Not that it makes this sort of thing any easier to hear.

5. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

I'm subbing in a K class rignt now and the K team invited me to attend their meeting. She mentioned that the P suggested that the forecast is looking bleak. They may increase K-3 class size to 25. Another district I sub in rarely sent a notice to all employees indicating that there is a budget freeze so some meetings that incur costs will will be cancelled unless it's payed out of categorical funding or is absolutely required. It also mentioned that due to the freeze on hiring vacant postions as a result of transfers, retirements and resignations, they will hire substitutes and limited term positions to provide flexibility with the budget.

How do you think school athletics will be affected by budget?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

I think athletics will be hurt, on a case by case basis.

When this year's school budget votes come up, I think lots and lots of budgets will get voted down by people experiencing, or afraid of, unemployment. Since teacher salaries are not negotiable-- they're contracted-- the first thing to go is after school programs. Athletics are expensive to run, so they go first.

I think that the districts need to play it smart and submit a budget that isn't significantly higher than last year's-- and that's going to take some doing with the cuts coming from the states. But at least that way, the budgets they do submit have a decent chance of passing.

This is NOT the year for districts to be investing in new technology or funding new programs; the public will vote it down and the districts will be in real trouble.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2009

I'd bet that football in many schools will be the last cut and the least cut; girls' sports will probably bear the brunt, Title IX notwithstanding.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

Our purse strings are being held tightly pending a law suit about School Choice. We stand to lose over a million dollars. I'm in a district with lots of old teachers who will be retiring, I suspect that they just won't replace them.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

Here in TX, football would definitely be the last thing to go!

On a different note, DH just told me that they're cutting everyone's hours at work to 32. That's better than laying people off!

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

Our legislature wants to cut all programs by 15%. Our governor only wants to cut education 4 and the rest of the budget 7%. Our district thinks we may lose 300 postions next year. Usually that many reitre but I don't know about this year. As unions rep we wanted a letter sent to the superintendent to cut those postions that work directly with students last. We have so many i the district ofice they can cut. I am glad I am not a new teacher. I think we will have large sizes, no extras ( like we had many), and no aides.

11. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Jan 15, 2009

They just went through and cut all of our technology (computer) teachers. Supposedly there are enough students with computers at home that they feel elementary does not need computer teachers. Way to prepare students for the 21st century. :rolleyes::mad:

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009

I am sure I'll have a job next year. This is only my 2nd year in the district, but there were a decent number of new hires at the elementary level that would get cut before I would. I don't see how they could physically make class sizes larger in 4-8. There are only so many desks you can fit in a room. I don't think my district will fire any teachers. I don't know how many new teachers will get hired. I think my district will also try very hard not to cut any athletics or clubs. If someone gives up a club I doubt they will try very hard to get a new sponsor.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 15, 2009

My school was guaranteed no layoffs for at least the next two years as long as we keep up our test scores. Talk about a massive relief!

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2009

Cheery,
    One of the schools in this area had too many students per class. There simply were not enough desks for students, so students would have to sit on the floor. This was in a high school, so not elementary. Kids would rush to class to get seats... (I heard this from a teacher I know).

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2009

For those of you who have been in education for a while, how long to these cuts typically last? I know that no one can predict, but are there trends that you have seen? How long do things typically stay bad?

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2009

Our state is finishing a special session where education took a pretty good hit. For the remainder of this year our district has lost $140 per student. The legislature will be meeting in March for next year and we are expecting to lose another 9 million for next year. We are expecting losses of teachers, assistants, art , music, and the closing of some smaller schools. Our contract for this year has not been settled so we will probably not get our step raises or any increases this year or next. I'm comfortable with that if it saves jobs.